BC Boards

Crooks - where do y'all get yours?

Gloria Atwater

Greetings all ~

I'm just kind of window-shopping at this point, but from time to time I think about buying a nice shepherd's crook. Presently, I have my beat up but trusty ol' fiberglass Colroy crook and a sweet chestnut crook that my Jesse won some 8 years ago. I've thought it would be nice to have something "dressier" to take out trialing, but ... I don't think my hat is big enough, yet, to warrant me splurging to buy a spiffy $250+ horn crook. :rolleyes:

So, I'm just wondering if folks here could recommend some crook makers who make nice stuff that falls under $200. I know Ian Caldicott in Oregon has started making crooks, while there's a site called Hill Shepherd Farm that apparently makes crooks. (Anybody know them?)

I do know The Dog House and Border Collies In Action carry the nice, spendier varieties, but I'm curious what else is out there that I can't find on Google. (When I did try searching, almost every crookmaker I found was in the UK - erks.)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to reading what folks have to say. :D

Cheers ~

Gloria

Greetings all ~

I'm just kind of window-shopping at this point, but from time to time I think about buying a nice shepherd's crook. Presently, I have my beat up but trusty ol' fiberglass Colroy crook and a sweet chestnut crook that my Jesse won some 8 years ago. I've thought it would be nice to have something "dressier" to take out trialing, but ... I don't think my hat is big enough, yet, to warrant me splurging to buy a spiffy $250+ horn crook. :rolleyes:

So, I'm just wondering if folks here could recommend some crook makers who make nice stuff that falls under $200. I know Ian Caldicott in Oregon has started making crooks, while there's a site called Hill Shepherd Farm that apparently makes crooks. (Anybody know them?)

I do know The Dog House and Border Collies In Action carry the nice, spendier varieties, but I'm curious what else is out there that I can't find on Google. (When I did try searching, almost every crookmaker I found was in the UK - erks.)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to reading what folks have to say. :D

Cheers ~

Gloria

Ian has some nice crooks.

George McDonald in Washington

Glen Firchow in WY made mine with a really nice myrtlewood handle

Richard Bailey in CO makes some nice wood-handled crooks that are really light.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Tess and Tea, Mr. MacDonald's crooks sound gorgeous, but I think I'd better wait until I'm a good enough trialer to deserve one. Or at least until my dog earns the price of one. :rolleyes:

Pearse, Kathy, can either of you share contact information for Glen Firchow and Richard Bailey? I'm in Nevada, so I don't know these folks.

Hsnrs, unfortunately our feed stores only carry stock sticks and flags, and once in a while the occasional aluminum leg crook. Our (few) large sheep ranchers hire Peruvians, and I don't know if they even carry crooks. :D

Cheers ~

Gloria

Ha Ha Gloria! I said the exact same thing :D I guess I could spring for a $50 one if we make it into Open.

Cindy (lurking) in FL

Tess and Tea, Mr. MacDonald's crooks sound gorgeous, but I think I'd better wait until I'm a good enough trialer to deserve one. Or at least until my dog earns the price of one. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Pearse, Kathy, can either of you share contact information for Glen Firchow and Richard Bailey? I'm in Nevada, so I don't know these folks.

Hsnrs, unfortunately our feed stores only carry stock sticks and flags, and once in a while the occasional aluminum leg crook. Our (few) large sheep ranchers hire Peruvians, and I don't know if they even carry crooks. :D

Cheers ~

Gloria

Gloria, I sent you a PM on Facebook.

Kathy

Tom Hoeber (sp?) located in western upstate NY I think has started fooling around with making all wooden crooks . I saw him at a trial in July and he showed me a few of what he had made.They looked nice enough to me.

Welcome, Michele (one L)!

Thanks again for replies. :) Kathy, I got your PM, will reply later. Thank you!

Mark, thanks for the idea. That sounds like a good way to make a quick usin' crook, though I'm looking for something a little on the nice side - but not too nice for my novice-novice status. ;)

Cheers ~

Gloria

Thought I would chime in since my name was mentioned. Thanks for the compliment Mark.. For training or trialing, I use/recommend getting the fiberglass wands from any Home Depot or Lowes for about a buc.. I made grips for mine with air line hose sold by the foot. Just glue a 6-8" piece on one end. Viola, instant working wand for about two bucks. I made about ten and have them all over the place so one is always nearby and handy.

Imo, I don't think you need to be anyone special or at a certain level to treat yourself to a nice crook. It is a cultural jewel of our sport. If you get a crook, get to know the maker and let him know what you want style wise and measurement. As far as I know George MacDonald and I are the only two people actively making traditional Rams horn crooks in this country. George was a long distance mentor of mine and he does beautiful work. Here is a gallery of my work if interested in seeing. http://picasaweb.google.com/awayjig/Crooks#

Dan

Archived