BC Boards

Teaching "Lie down"

CindyH

I've been fortunate enough to start Daphne on sheep again, after a very long 3 year hiatus. After her first lesson she was just about back to where we left off (wish my exercise programs were like that!). Anyway, she's got a good lie down at home and most other places, but around sheep, well, they're much too exciting, AND they keep moving, so she pretty much blows me off on the lie down. Is there anything I can do away from sheep that will help or do I just keep up with reinforcing it while she's working.

Thanks,

Cindy, I'm having this problem with Kirra. (We're pretty new in our taining,a nd she's not working bred.) She seems to be worried that the sheep are going to get away from her. My trainer suggested getting her to take the lie down when we're coming up to a fence or better yet a corner - and there's less danger (in the dog's mind) that the sheep are going to get away. This is working for Kirra - we do a lot of gate work as we move packets of sheep in and out of yards, and she's getting better at lie down there. Out in the paddock is still a worry (even on balance) so I'm settling for stop (stand or sit) (and even that is a worry. for her at present.)

Elizabeth,

I usually work her in the pen, and our trainer often works her in the field, I know that he tells her to lie down on the balance, and she doesn't want to lie down then either. Of course when I'm working her, by the time I can get her to lie down, she is off balance. When she blows us off, she does get that worried look, like "I know I should, but, but, but..." I do think, like Barb, that it could be a case that she's worried about the sheep getting away.

Our trainer has been pretty easy on her also, trying to keen her up some and she started to really turn on this last week. She's quit caring if he's working her and I'm standing in the field (she doesn't keep checking in with me), and she'll do a longer outrun than before.

Barb, thanks for the advice, we have a lesson tomorrow and I'll try the lie down when the sheep can't get away.

Of course, I get the feeling he thinks that I need more training that Daphne

:rolleyes:

Just thought I'd give an update on our progress. This last lesson I really got on her about blowing me off, then our trainer had me lie her down behind the sheep quite aways, me go around to the front, then ask her to walk up. Anytime she came on too fast, got too close, or started to waver off her straight line, I was to lie her down. Then have her walk up again until we had made it across the field. We did much better than I thought we would. This was accomplishing two things, (I am told :rolleyes:) 1. that even if she lies down, she can still come to her sheep. 2. Having her stop when she begins to break the straight line teaches her to use her eye to move the sheep, not her body.

Boy, not only is she learning alot, so am I!!