BC Boards

How old is this guy??

JaderBug

Is there a way to measure a ram's age by the length/curl of his horns? Saw this guy this weekend, pretty impressive. Any guesses as to age??

Can't imagine that this guy has a very good field of vision!

5002539861_55a5a19533_z.jpg

5003150522_97714248cc_z.jpg

5002533565_6dac7ed365_z.jpg

My next question is why in dogs name someone would want to keep that on the farm? Thats a self propelled bowling ball attached to a testosterone motor.

He lives at Des Moines' Living History Farms... unbelievably friendly, although I don't know what he'd be like if there were ewes in season around! I reached over the fence for a scratch to see his behavior, was able to grab his horn for an instant with no protest or 'wtf?!' look :-)

I would say over 6, but thats a guess.

My next question is why in dogs name someone would want to keep that on the farm? Thats a self propelled bowling ball attached to a testosterone motor.

To fertilize the ewe´s? :rolleyes:

We actually have (need) about six rams at our little sheep operation, they are all horned. It´s manageble.

All our rams are horned.

They can be very tough if made tame.

I like a ram to run away when he sees me.

I dog break them very young.

I have had a ram put me on the ground and beat the you know what outta me.

It brough out my sicilian side in a big way.

He was made into sausage, a job he exelled at.

But I use the horns, I give the old horn to friends who make crooks, and we are working on buttons and shawl pins as well.

I would say over 6, but thats a guess.

At least it looks like he can't see to hit his target.

I agree with Tea and Bill- friendly rams = trouble. I've always used a hands-off approach to mine and in ten years, I've never had one even stare me down. A friend of mine who works dogs but gives all her sheep treats and makes them generally friendly has had two vicious rams, one of which got her down in a corner against some panels.

Friendly rams are the most dangerous kind.

They can be very tough if made tame.

I agree with Tea and Bill- friendly rams = trouble. I've always used a hands-off approach to mine and in ten years, I've never had one even stare me down. A friend of mine who works dogs but gives all her sheep treats and makes them generally friendly has had two vicious rams, one of which got her down in a corner against some panels.

Uff da! Assuming this guy would fit into the typical ram stereotypes, I would think this guy could/would be quite a liability at a public living museum with lots of farm- and livestock-ignorant people milling about...!!

Rachel,

He's less likely to be aggressive if there are no cycling ewes around. It also looks like he's behind a secure fence. But personally I still wouldn't go into his pasture and turn my back on him.

When at the MD Sheep and Wool Festival one time I asked several exhibitors how they felt about people scratching the heads of their rams, but most claimed the rams were mellow and it was okay. But I don't let anyone pat/touch/scratch my ram on his head. They can scratch under his chin. People who have to deal with him are informed to *never* hit his face head on for any reason, for fear of a reaction they won't like. I'll swat the side of his face if he gets pushy around me, but would never hit him head on....

My BFL ram is huge (no horns thank goodness) and very friendly and mellow. I prefer to go in with him only with a dog even so, because he's just too friendly. He's never, ever made an aggressive move toward me, but they can certainly kill each other and so could do the same to a human. Better safe than sorry.

I don't know about the liability issues, but maybe the fences are considered sufficient.

And he'd have to be *at least* five to start that second curl, so is probably older than 6 as others have said. Crook makers would love those horns!

J.

Archived