BC Boards

2010 National Sheepdog Finals...

Sue R

When the Finals were held in Gettysburg three years ago, a number of people from these boards got together one evening to share a dinner (okay, we ate at a restaurant), conversation, socializing, and getting to know each other in person. It's been suggested that there might be some interest in doing this again this year.

Due to the Finals schedule, the most likely possibility would be Saturday evening, September 25, after the semi-final runs are done. There are other meetings on Wednesday and Thursday of that week, and a possible dinner/dance for Friday, and most people attending as spectators would likely not be present earlier in the week, saving their travel time for the weekend of the final runs.

While I had hoped to have a campground cookout, the logistics of my bringing burgers just would not work as I'm leaving home this Friday and just can't provide safe-keeping of meat for the necessary period of time.

I'd like to know if there are folks who would like to get together that evening for dinner. There is an inexpensive buffet at an exit just a few miles north of Belle Grove, and I'm sure there are other alternatives within a very reasonable distance. If people would like to do that, please let me know so I can get an approxmate count and make a reservation, if that seems reasonable.

I'm certainly hoping that Eileen and Heather might be able to join us, so that people can meet (and thank) those two who do so much to provide this site, along with the entire www.bordercollie.org site and its many resources. And, I know I'd love to see Mark and Renee, Robin, Christine, Lori, and others here who will be running dogs at Finals, if there is no other conflict that evening.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to get a chance to meet other BC Board members, but... I'm likely to be attending with a big crew, and I'm the only BC Board member of the lot. (Let's see, DH, younger son, SIL, BIL, SIL's kids and maybe grandkids, prolly at least three friends from work - and a partridge in a pear tree!)

Perhaps for some of us attending as a big group, getting away so that some of us could get together at lunchtime (without the rest of the entourage) might work better?

On a different but related topic: here's a thought - what if BC Board members were to make up "name badges" consisting of photos of our avatars? That way we could recognize each other from amongst a crowd. Anyone seeing me coming could quickly whip off their own name badge ("oh, NO, I don't want to meet that creep!") or not, as personal preferences dictate.

Alternative evenings are limited - right now, there are activities planned for one or more groups on Mon, Wed, Thurs, and maybe Fri. If Fri night's activity doesn't happen, we could do Fri if that would work for folks but I just won't know until there is a decision made by others as to that evening.

Getting together at lunch is an option that could be an additional idea. For me, it would work on Wed or Thurs after 12:30. There are a number of yummy-sounding vendors and we could get lunch and sit and chat, or just pick a place under the tent to enjoy each other's company for an afternoon.

I'll be in the campground, in the silver/yellow teardrop (that should have a blue pop-up attached) and we could meet there, as well. I just don't have accomodations for food for a group in my camper, or I'd love to do burgers. There's just too much time between when I have to leave home and when we'd be able to get together and eat to carry meat safely with my limited ability to do so.

I'll check out restaurants - the buffet is one idea (not fancy and not my favorite, but I've always come away more than full!) - nearby and get back.

The Italian restaurant (Italian Touch menu from the Woodstock location) on Route 11 north of Middletown (where exit 302 takes you to Route 11) has good food. Renee and I had take-out from there Sat & Sun last weekend.

We saw an Irish pub (Irish Isle Restaurant & Pub) in and a sit-down restaurant at Wayside Inn in Middletown.

Here are alternatives I found on the internet:

* Anthony's Pizza

101 Founder's Way

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-4545

Other: 540-327-3653

*Arby's

33771 Old Valley Pike

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-5050

* Big & Lil D's Diner

728 East Queen Street

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-5770

Hours: Mon-Thu: 6:00AM-8:00PM

Fri-Sat: 6:00AM-9:00PM

Sun: 8:00AM-3:00PM

* Burger King-Little Apple Corporation

33964 Old Valley Pike

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-5100

*Castiglia's (Italian)

33820 Old Vally Pike

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-8777

*Ciro's Pizza

788 Shopping Center Drive

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-5125

*Cristina's Cafe

219 W. King Steet

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-2311

*Coffee Cafe

160 North Massanutten Steet

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-3346

*Denny's

119 Hite Lane

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-9090

*Fox's Pizza

289 N. Massanutten Street

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-3332

*Golden China (Asian)

33820 Old Valley Pike

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-1388

*Great Wall Buffet (Chinese)

782 Shopping Center Road

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-8336

*Hi Neighbor Country Restaurant

192 West King Street

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-9187

Other: 540-465-7082

Hours: M-Sat: 6:00AM-8:00PM

Sun: 8:00AM-3:00PM

*Hotel Strasburg

213 South Holliday Street

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-9191

Fax: 540-465-4788

Toll Free: 800-348-8327

*Jalisco (Mexican)

348 E King Street

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-5300(?)

*Kimberly's Konfections

313 East King Street

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-9573

*King Street Grill

136 E King Street

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-9511

*McDonald's

33899 Old Valley Pike

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-2500

*Milano's Pizza and Sport Bar

131 N Massanutten Street

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-8880

*Rancho Viejo (Mexican)

19 Signal Knob Drive

Phone: 540-465-4855

Strasburg, VA 22657

*Strasburg Old Mill Restaurant

497 Stover Avenue

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-5590

Other: 540-465-7082

Hours: Open for Lunch and Dinner - call for hours

*Subway

390 E. King Street

Strasburg, VA 22657

Phone: 540-465-2484

Hi-Neighbor is a nice little country restaurant in Strasburg. A Tom Forrester hang-out :rolleyes:

Good, simple food.

Nothing like a recommendation to make a place a top choice! Do you think we'd need to make a reservation?

Will you and Andre be able to come? We'd love to see you both.

Now y'all are really making me wish I could afford to come up. :rolleyes:

J.

Julie - You are the one I'd like to see most of all. I'd buy your dinner if you could come up, and you and the crew could camp with me...

I'm coming on Fri the 24th after work. I'm going to stay till after the finals on Sunday. It will be me and my two daughters. I'd like to meet other board members too. I think I'm destined to never meet Julie as she was doing set out last year at the one trial I went to so I missed her there too. If you all decide to get together on a day/time it works for me I'd love to go!

You might sign up for the Friday night dinner dance. $25. for adults.

Donald McCaig

Thanks, Donald, for letting us know that this is on for sure. That's one reason I did not set our "board" dinner up for Friday. I, for one, will surely sign up for this!

PS - I went to the website, saw mention of it, but did not see where to sign up and pay. Will that be through the website or at the Finals that we do that?

The Italian restaurant (Italian Touch menu from the Woodstock location) on Route 11 north of Middletown (where exit 302 takes you to Route 11) has good food. Renee and I had take-out from there Sat & Sun last weekend.

We saw an Irish pub (Irish Isle Restaurant & Pub) in and a sit-down restaurant at Wayside Inn in Middletown.

Sorry, Mark, I missed this earlier. It sounds yummy and I am always up for Italian, and the Irish pub menu makes me drool. Do you think you two might be able to join us on Saturday evening? I do want to speak to Renee sometime that we can get together - I need to make some arrangements for bringing Dan down as often as I can this fall.

Archived