BC Boards

What are these sheep wearing?

Bike handlebars and other contraptions.

I was thinking they prevented the stock from scooting through pipe gates or something like that, but it doesn't appear that everyone in the second photo (posted by the same person) is wearing them. Plus, it would probably just be easier to put woven wire on a pipe gate, rather than put these devices on most of an entire flock. I was also thinking along the lines of some sort of individual creep feeding method, but I think a normal creep feeder would again be easier...so I'm out of guesses. :rolleyes:

Geeezzzz, Megan...how bizarre!!! I think that you have hit upon one possible use for the "handlebars" on some of these sheep, but I had another thought. They could be some type of restraint tool. Here is a photo of what is called a Gambrel Sheep Restrainer:

post-6118-1282599137_thumb.jpg

This device is used to restrain sheep in the field when you are working by yourself and not near a place where you can halter and secure a sheep. In the first photo you posted, if that pipe thing is rotated 90 degrees, it could be used in a similar fashion to a Gambrel. Just my shovelful!

Regards,

nancy

ETA: never mind, i see it's not on the horns so the following doesn't apply. I can't get the editor to let me delete this post so just ignore it.

It's to keep them from sticking their heads through the fence and getting caught/stuck. I used to duct tape pvc across the horns on goats for the same thing.

Thanks Bill!

I wonder why some of the goats & sheep don't appear to be wearing them. With all the doggy doors added to fences all over the property (I found exploring more of the photo albums), I'd think everyone in the flock would need them! He (?) says that the goats pay no attention to the doors in the fences though.

Hi alll,

I simply can't imagine the sheep (and goats) having to wear that hardware 24/7. I agree with Smalahundur....perhaps the owner shouldn't keep sheep at all.

Regards,

nancy

Archived