BC Boards

My New Pup

Hello! I am new to BC Boards and I'd like to introduce myself and my pup! My name is Britni and I am going into my junior year of college majoring in Middle Childhood Education. I am totally in love with border collies and am trying to decide if my dog has some BC in him. I just rescued him from the local dog pound on June 14th and he is the best dog I have ever had in my life. I cannot believe I got lucky enough to rescue such a well behaved and obedient dog.

When I rescued my pup that I named "Raz," he was said to be approximately 1 year old and he is house broken and knows how to sit, lie down, shake both paws, and we're working on roll over. He is just my pride and joy and I couldn't have made a better decision by rescuing him. I am having trouble deciding what type of dog he is though. At first I thought he might have been a German Shepard and Brittany Spaniel cross, but then I studied all of the aspects that looked like a Shepard and decided that I should eliminate that cross. Then I thought of a Brittany Spaniel and Australian Cattle Dog and it seemed like that is what he probably was, but I still have suspicions that he has some Border Collie in him. He is very agile, has lots of energy, and is extremely intelligent.

I was hoping you all could help me with some suggestions of what you personally think he could be crossed with. The only reason why it is such a concern to me is because I can study more about his roots to know everything I can about his personality traits.

I love border collies and cannot wait to own my own someday. I may already have one if that is what my pup might be mixed with, but here is a picture of him and any kind of feedback would be great! Thanks!

Britni

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

To me, I don't see anything but border collie in him. It's impossible to say for sure with photos, but he could be purebred. Gorgeous, too! How about a standing profile pic?

Thank you for rescuing and welcome to the board. :rolleyes:

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

I believe he is somewhere around 50 lbs and is about 23-26 inches

He also sheds like craaaaaaazy, and when he plays with other dogs he is very rough and nips at their necks. He is very vocal too when he plays and loves for dogs to chase him(because he's faster) and looooves to chase other dogs. He is definitely a nipper when he plays too. Ever since I was young I have been very interested in agility and would love to train him, but I don't know if it's too late because he's a about a year, and I also wouldn't know where I could find a place to train or where I could get help.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for welcoming me everyone!

Britni

Oh, I just saw his profile pic. Yeah, still looks all BC to me. He is a big boy, but in border collies, there is a pretty wide range in sizes and appearances.

Here's one of mine, though he's much smaller than your boy, the profile is similar.

post-5703-1282160977_thumb.jpg

Wow! All of you have beautiful BCs! He has really sensitive skin, is this a trait in BCs? I'm glad that we've finally established what he is though, I always knew deep down he had BC in him if not all BC. They have been my favorite breed since I was in elementary school, and now my dream has finally come true with my little pound pup!

He also sheds like craaaaaaazy, and when he plays with other dogs he is very rough and nips at their necks. He is very vocal too when he plays and loves for dogs to chase him(because he's faster) and looooves to chase other dogs. He is definitely a nipper when he plays too. Ever since I was young I have been very interested in agility and would love to train him, but I don't know if it's too late because he's a about a year, and I also wouldn't know where I could find a place to train or where I could get help.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for welcoming me everyone!

Britni

One year old is the "perfect" time to start training agility. Really there is no too late if you are just in it for fun....

I can't help with training facilities, but I bet there is something in your area....

I agree that this age is the perfect time to start agility. I got my girl 6 months ago at 13 months and put her in agility at 15 months. She's taken to it naturally! My girl doesn't have overly sensitive skin compared to my other dogs, but when she blows her coat I swear she sheds more than my others (who have thick, long coats!). :rolleyes:

Thank you all, he is so beautiful to me also! It was most definitely meant to be because I walked in there and every dog was barking at me in their cage except for him. He was just sitting in his cage with his head down so sad looking. I immediately had to walk him after that, and he just seemed so confused and sad to be in there.

While growing up my uncle bred Golden Retrievers so we always had Goldies, we also have had a dachshund for 17 years and counting! So the dogs run strong in our family. I tried training just for fun one of my goldies for agility and he was great, except for the fact that he wasn't focused on what I was doing 100% of the time and was unable to follow me if he wasn't on a leash.

Now with Raz, he follows me everywhere, and I barely use a leash on him. He listens very intently too, so he seems like perfect agility material. Not to mention he jumps so high sometimes I think he's half deer! hahahaha I'll have to see if the pet store I work at knows of any local trainers or where I could find somewhere to practice.

Apparently I have waaay too much time on my hands today...

Britni, I just Googled agility in Youngstown, OH and found at least one training club that offers classes, there may be more, I didn't look that hard.

http://yabtc.com/

wow thank you! I will definitely be checking this place out!

Gorgeous pup! I'd look into allergies (particularly food allergies) on the skin issues. I adopted Meg in April and she was an itchy dog until a couple weeks after I changed her diet. The vet agreed that its likely she's allergic to one or more of the ingredients in dog food. She's on a raw diet now and hasn't been itchy for some time.

What a beauty!! I agree with the others...looks like a smooth coat BC to me. As for the weight, one of my males is 3 and weighs 50lbs and is allllll muscle and our pup who is 10 months old is already at 40/45lbs and he will probably be bigger than Zeus, the adult.

As far as allergies go... I have a red and white female that lost most of the fur on her leg due to food allergies and when we switched to raw feeding all of her allergy symptoms went away and all but a tiny patch of fur grew back.

I'm not suggesting that you go with raw, but definitely take a look at food allergies... your vet can help you figure out which food it might be by using an elimination diet (or you can try it on your own, PM me if you need help with that).

I've heard agility is a ton of fun. 2 of my BCs do Flyball which is another fun dog sport and 2 of my other BCs do herding and they love it. I am sure you and your pup will find something you love!!

Most of all.... Welcome!

Archived