BC Boards

Another warning about Baird Creek

Thank you to everyone that wrote about Breve. I appreciate you all, and appreciate the service you're doing to help educate folks, both on what makes up the slightly insane little goofballs that are our BC's, how to stay at minimum, level with their intellect (lol!), as well as how to train, treat, and choose the right one.

In this instance, I let my heart make up my mind for me, which was not the right thing to do. She had a ton of puppies, I could have left and researched her further based on what we observed there, but I didn't. I fell in love, and had to have her.

I did everything in my power and my knowledge from years of owning and working with BC's, as well as hiring trainers, behaviorists, vets, etc., to do what I could for this girl. In the end, tho' we're not going to have her necropsied, as what would be the point, we know the breeder is bad, but we, and the vets, do believe that it was a combination of bad breeding, genetics, and brain involvement. Everything she did, she did backwards, as if the wiring was just not right.

There was a delay with the at home vet, so Breve actually left us today, at 2:14pm pst. She went well and calmly, tho' she spent some time chasing a ball under sedation - Happy, tongue out, running in place, giving the occasional happy bark she gave when the ball was out and all was well with the world. It was unmistakable, and even the vet was in tears watching her.

The photo is my favorite shot of Breve, ever. She has that little bit of wildness in the eye, but the ever insatiable curiosity that BC's have, needing to get her nose on the lens, right when I snapped the pic. We were lying on the bed, surrounded by rats, and she was in her element.

post-11352-1282601407_thumb.jpg

She's at peace now, and her rats are with her, and she can think and run and play and all is well and good in her world.

Thank you to all...

Run Free Breve. You are finally at peace.

How come they are still in business running a very not what it seems Border Collie breeder site, when all these issues are coming to the public knowledge, or should i say how are they put out of business.

Because people keep buying dogs from them. Same as pet stores. You have to be pretty naive these days to think pet store puppies come from 'reputable' breeders not puppy mills what with all the news stories, rescue stories etc. yet folks keep buying dogs from pet stores. I mean I hear of a mill raid in the U.S. almost every other week and I live in Canada, so you can't tell me people in the U.S. don't hear about them the same way I do. (making an point, not saying there aren't mills in Canada, there are, believe me). As long as there is demand, there will be supply. End of story. Some people just don't listen or care or both.

Hi all...

Had a few people in this posting inquire about how the AKC allows this to go on.

I attempted to write to them in my grief, and find out how one files a complaint.

This are the responses I got, back to back, within 5 minutes of each other. They fully explain why the breeder is still in business, and why she can sell "AKC Registered Purebred Dogs" (My edits are in Dark Green):

First reply:

Complaint Letter Instructions

You will need to write a brief letter to us giving an overview of the situation and copies of any documents (i.e. bill of sale, contracts) you have. Please provide the full names, addresses, and phone numbers of everyone involved, including you. You will need to fax or mail that letter and copies of all related documents to:

American Kennel Club

Case Management Dept

PO Box 900066

Raleigh, NC 27675

Fax - 919-816-4250

Please be sure you sign your letter of complaint.

Thank you and have a nice day.

If a reply is necessary, please include all previous correspondence.

Sheila Badger

AKC Online Services

Second reply:

Please disregard the previous response. We are always concerned when we learn of sick dogs. However, the AKC does not license or endorse anyone engaged in the commerce of selling purebred dogs and, therefore, has no control over the business practices of those involved in such transactions. Membership in the AKC is comprised of independent dog clubs located throughout the United States. No individual persons are members of the AKC.

In situations such as yours, it is vital to seek veterinary care as you have done and to inform the breeder so they can use this knowledge in future breeding decisions.

The AKC is a strong proponent of research that will result in healthier, longer lives for all dogs. In 1995, the AKC established the AKC Canine Health Foundation and has contributed over $15million since its founding. The foundation has helped fund nearly 250 studies. You may find some useful information at the AKC Canine Health Foundation website, www.akcchf.org.

Another resource would be contacting the parent club for your breed. You can find a list of all parent breed clubs on our website at http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/index.cfm?...&display=on. As you may or may not be aware, a parent club is the national organization designated by the AKC to represent a specific breed. You also may want to notify your parent club's health liaison, as AKC-CHF surveys the parent clubs every two years to determine the top health concerns.

IF CUSTOMER MENTIONS MONETARY COMPENSATION: (I did not, and it offends me beyond belief that this copy and paste paragragh is here, but nice of them to leave the copy and paste bulk formatting in place so we can see the personal attention paid to the subject) We understand you are attempting to recover all or part of your dog's purchase price. If you are unable to settle with the seller, we recommend you seek legal counsel to determine if you can gain relief through civil channels. You may also want to contact your local Better Business Bureau or Consumer Protection Service.

IF CUSTOMER MENTIONS THE FACILITY: (I did describe the facility, but again, nice of them to leave the copy and paste bulk formatting in place so we can see the personal attention paid to the subject) Your letter also mentioned the state of the facility where you purchased your dog. If you feel the conditions did not meet acceptable health standards, you can bring them to the attention of your local Law Enforcement, or Health Department. These organizations have the authority to take action in these matters.

In addition, The AKC has adopted a policy pertaining to the care and condition of dogs, which can be found online at http://www.akc.org/rules/policymanual.cfm?...=7#Deficiencies. If you wish to file a complaint with the American Kennel Club regarding unacceptable dog or kennel conditions, the AKC accepts written, signed complaints, which contain direct information that supports allegations of AKC Rules violations. Complaints should be addressed to:

American Kennel Club

Director of Investigations & Inspections

8051 Arco Corporate Drive Suite 100

Raleigh, N.C. 27617

(I did so when we first realized we were going to have to let her go, and read here about the problems with the breeder. They responded that "personal eyewitness to bad conditions or improper breeding is not usable as proof to open an investigation" And: "have not received other complaints about the breeder you named...")

If a reply is necessary, please include all previous correspondence.

Valerie

AKC Customer Service Representative

http://www.akc.org/

919-233-9767

Visit AKC Website at http://www.akc.org/

Your AKC -- a free, monthly eNewsletter

Got a dog? Get your AKC!

Click here to subscribe:

http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/

Show your purebred pride. Apply for the American Kennel Club Platinum VISA Card that supports AKC programs and services.

http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/web...b&page=cont

AKC Pet Healthcare Plan: Protect your loved ones - they depend on you. Provided by PetPartners, Inc., selected by the American Kennel Club for top benefits and value. Contact www.akcphp.com or 1.866.725.2747.

The above should answer the questions as to why the AKC allows it.

They want their litter registration, and owner registration money, NOT the dogs health. AKC oversight of BC's will be the destruction of them.

Hope this helps somewhat in all that you folks are doing.

Thank you again.

Kim

Hi all...

Had a few people in this posting inquire about how the AKC allows this to go on.

I attempted to write to them in my grief, and find out how one files a complaint.

This are the responses I got, back to back, within 5 minutes of each other. They fully explain why the breeder is still in business, and why she can sell "AKC Registered Purebred Dogs" (My edits are in Dark Green):

First reply:

Second reply:

The above should answer the questions as to why the AKC allows it.

They want their litter registration, and owner registration money, NOT the dogs health. AKC oversight of BC's will be the destruction of them.

Hope this helps somewhat in all that you folks are doing.

Thank you again.

Kim

So a letter writing campaign to the following address would bring some attention to the matter:

If you wish to file a complaint with the American Kennel Club regarding unacceptable dog or kennel conditions, the AKC accepts written, signed complaints, which contain direct information that supports allegations of AKC Rules violations. Complaints should be addressed to:

American Kennel Club

Raleigh, N.C. 27617

^^^That will do about as much good as reporting the PM's in MO to the USDA inspectors...ACK wants their money. The breeder is not a member of the parent club so there's nothing they can do. IMO, short of getting H$U$ or PETA involved the IRS is the best bet.

I am so very sorry. You did the right thing for poor Breve. This was far beyond what most of us know as "dog aggression." She truly was, through no fault of her own, a desperately troubled little soul. Peace to her spirit, and to you.

May the breeder find her own special place in Perdition.

^^^That will do about as much good as reporting the PM's in MO to the USDA inspectors...ACK wants their money. The breeder is not a member of the parent club so there's nothing they can do. IMO, short of getting H$U$ or PETA involved the IRS is the best bet.

Well, let's write them all!

Liz

So a letter writing campaign to the following address would bring some attention to the matter:

If you wish to file a complaint with the American Kennel Club regarding unacceptable dog or kennel conditions, the AKC accepts written, signed complaints, which contain direct information that supports allegations of AKC Rules violations. Complaints should be addressed to:

American Kennel Club

Raleigh, N.C. 27617

What about a social networking campaign to spread the word about this kennel? I'm always amazed how fast word can be spread via facebook or twitter.

I wonder if it might also be a good idea to send a copy of your letter to area vets. They may know about this kennel, but it just seems that given there's no regulatory agency with any power (or interest) in dealing with them, getting them to show up on the radar as a problem in as many venues as possible. And area media.

And remember, too, that even if nothing happens in the short term as a result of all this, another complaint in the future will be taken more seriously.

Thank you for trying very hard with Breve - you went far beyond calling to try and fix the situation. Run free and happy - Breve....

IF CUSTOMER MENTIONS THE FACILITY: (I did describe the facility, but again, nice of them to leave the copy and paste bulk formatting in place so we can see the personal attention paid to the subject) Your letter also mentioned the state of the facility where you purchased your dog. If you feel the conditions did not meet acceptable health standards, you can bring them to the attention of your local Law Enforcement, or Health Department. These organizations have the authority to take action in these matters.

In addition, The AKC has adopted a policy pertaining to the care and condition of dogs, which can be found online at http://www.akc.org/rules/policymanual.cfm?...=7#Deficiencies. If you wish to file a complaint with the American Kennel Club regarding unacceptable dog or kennel conditions, the AKC accepts written, signed complaints, which contain direct information that supports allegations of AKC Rules violations. Complaints should be addressed to:

Kim, I found something interesting on the AKC site this morning while looking for something in reference to another thread. Why register with AKC Click on the blue "What does your registration support?" tab. The first link on that tab is "Kennel Inspections." There's a paragraph there that brags about their inspections, and contains a link to investigations and inspections They generally only inspect breeders registering seven or more litters, but may inspect breeders registering between four and six litters a year. If your breeder is registering at least four litters a year, I think that more pressure could be put on AKC to actually do an inspection, yes?

• 2 weeks later...

I want to first tell the buyer of Breve that my heart goes out to their whole family, and wish I could have done more many years ago to shut this breeder down. Breve is at peace now and what ever caused these dogs brain to work abnormal or wiring issues within their brains - she is at peace and hopefully you will heal in time from this experience of buying one of SM dogs. But I fought and lost with AKC regarding this matter. All they would do was to "sweep it under the carpet" by saying they would de register the dog since it came into rescue. de-registering the pup or dog we took in isn't taking care of the matter - what about de registering all of her dogs, not allowing her to breed and register with AKC. Oh no, they could not do that. All I can say is that everyone that has ever bought a dog and had these issues, need to write to AKC and complain. Cause if buyers would put their issues of aggression or problems with SM then maybe just maybe AKC will do something. Cause I wrote articles, even putting in her web site along with her advertising she put in the San Diego papers under Business Opportunities - buy her dogs and make money without a lot of work. Nothing has changed from the past, from hearing this. I don't always have time to check the messages on the boards with the number of rescues that always needing help here in CA. But the last couple of days we have gotten emails from SM email (we know cause it is on her web site) from someone looking for an older male, they are willing to fix so they say, and about two missing dogs, an older male with only one testicle (saying he would be easy to find due to this) and a female that was debarked. Then they sent in an application. This put us on alert totally. Why are they coming to rescue for dogs? And her site makes me mad when you check her web site, and under her link of adoption - it isn't adoption but selling one of her dogs. How dare she use adoption (implying rescue).

It raised the hair on the back of my neck - and my stomach twisting since she moved back from Texas, to Temecula and states she is moving to Lake Arrowhead (way too close to me IMO), so put out warnings to other rescues across the USA regarding this. I was told by a new BCR group in CA that they took two dogs from SM area shelter, where the shelter said they were taken or given up by owner due to over the limit dogs. They were an older male, and a debarked female. Both has been altered within the first week. Another ALERT to me since this is what the man stated was missing.

So I went looking for anything about her on the web, and found this on the board.

We haven't taken any dogs that are of her breeding in years. It was way too hard to have to PTS them due to aggression. We need our energy to help the dogs that we can re-home, and not tear ourselves up constantly with dealing with her breeding. I wear a major scar on my face from one her breeding we took years ago. Another volunteer who didn't heed my warning about these dogs, took an owner turn in, and bought it to a public adoption event. And he turned on another volunteer at the public adoption event, attacking her a number of times before we could get him under control and in a crate - I instantly told the volunteer that bought this dog in to PTS him and NEVER bring in another SM dog esp. when they come with papers going back to her breeding. (this volunteer thought I was awful, and she didn't do it, she privately behind our back adopted this dog out, never informing the adopter of his temperament or his bites to humans, but at least she is no longer one of our volunteers). All of the dogs that have come to us from her breeding or by her studs have had MAJOR AGGRESSION ISSUES. How do we know they are her breeding, cause the owners that turned them in gave their AKC papers or their puppy papers to us when they did. Even her out crossing has had major aggression issues, so it has to be a very strong gene or something that isn't working right within their brains?? And when they don't have papers and are in shelters, but look like her cookie cutter breeding, we even turn away from them in the shelter. Why? Cause for the last 11 or 12 years, we have had nothing but un-adoptable dogs coming out of her dogs, including when she studs out her male to outside females. Can you image a 9 week old puppy that would attack you, biting your face to do damage? Or this same puppy that would attack a 2 year child to take away their Christmas present of Elmo doll? And I am not making this up. This wasn't normal puppy putting teeth on you that you can work with, but a little major aggressive 9 week old that would actually go after your face if he didn't get what he wanted. He was out for blood and he wasn't planning on loosing, he was going to get what he wanted at any cost - or so he thought.

I am drained once again even after all these years, all I can say is that the word must be pass along that anyone with a dog they bought from SM and has aggression or major issues like the ones Breve's owners had - TELL A.K.C. in writing. Make it formal to them. Maybe with buyers complaining, opening their hearts and the hell they went through - just maybe AKC will do something about her. But to be honest, in my heart of hearts I KNOW AKC isn't going to do anything, cause they want more Border Collies registered with them (one of the reason they have not closed the stud books for our breed). They won't listen to Rescue, even when I took one that came into rescue to their National AKC Show in MO. with his AKC papers to show him off to them and meet his litter mates or relatives that where showing in the Confirmation Show Ring. Everyone that owned a relative of JD got excited about me having him until they found out he was neutered and was turned into rescue. His AKC puppy registration list his parents as CH Minimbah Turn the Tide DL 65268301 (Australia) & CH Korella Astar is Born DL63594701 Breeder SM. The "hush" could be heard everywhere at their show ground - and the AKC reps there said all they could do was de-register him. So what, that wasn't going to help him or future puppies she produced or their buyers that would live a life of "hell" with their dogs that they came to love and hate at the same time.

My heart goes out to all her puppy buyers, my sole and mind is drained at this time for the ugly dragon has raised it head again - and we in CA can't seem to destroy it. All I can pray is that Animal Control where ever she moves to, will make it rough as they can on her - And if she really moved into San BernardinoCounty - I can only pray they do. Education is very important to the public, so maybe the owners/buyers might go to their local Animal Control, their local papers and TV stations or contact San BernardinoCounty Animal Control and ask for Megan in Vet Services and tell her the story of Breve and let her know you heard she moved to Lake Arrowhead or Cedar Glen and tell their stories. In CA these things make major headlines when reported. Just another thought?

What about a social networking campaign to spread the word about this kennel? I'm always amazed how fast word can be spread via facebook or twitter.

I wonder if it might also be a good idea to send a copy of your letter to area vets. They may know about this kennel, but it just seems that given there's no regulatory agency with any power (or interest) in dealing with them, getting them to show up on the radar as a problem in as many venues as possible. And area media.

And remember, too, that even if nothing happens in the short term as a result of all this, another complaint in the future will be taken more seriously.

Yeah, I've seen a few animal abuse type things go pretty viral on FB. A FB group or like or whatever they call it now, might be a good way of getting the word out.

Thanks for chiming in on this with the full details, Bobbi,

A

I want to first tell the buyer of Breve that my heart goes out to their whole family, and wish I could have done more many years ago to shut this breeder down. Breve is at peace now and what ever caused these dogs brain to work abnormal or wiring issues within their brains - she is at peace and hopefully you will heal in time from this experience of buying one of SM dogs. But I fought and lost with AKC regarding this matter. All they would do was to "sweep it under the carpet" by saying they would de register the dog since it came into rescue. de-registering the pup or dog we took in isn't taking care of the matter - what about de registering all of her dogs, not allowing her to breed and register with AKC. Oh no, they could not do that. All I can say is that everyone that has ever bought a dog and had these issues, need to write to AKC and complain. Cause if buyers would put their issues of aggression or problems with SM then maybe just maybe AKC will do something. Cause I wrote articles, even putting in her web site along with her advertising she put in the San Diego papers under Business Opportunities - buy her dogs and make money without a lot of work. Nothing has changed from the past, from hearing this. I don't always have time to check the messages on the boards with the number of rescues that always needing help here in CA. But the last couple of days we have gotten emails from SM email (we know cause it is on her web site) from someone looking for an older male, they are willing to fix so they say, and about two missing dogs, an older male with only one testicle (saying he would be easy to find due to this) and a female that was debarked. Then they sent in an application. This put us on alert totally. Why are they coming to rescue for dogs? And her site makes me mad when you check her web site, and under her link of adoption - it isn't adoption but selling one of her dogs. How dare she use adoption (implying rescue).

It raised the hair on the back of my neck - and my stomach twisting since she moved back from Texas, to Temecula and states she is moving to Lake Arrowhead (way too close to me IMO), so put out warnings to other rescues across the USA regarding this. I was told by a new BCR group in CA that they took two dogs from SM area shelter, where the shelter said they were taken or given up by owner due to over the limit dogs. They were an older male, and a debarked female. Both has been altered within the first week. Another ALERT to me since this is what the man stated was missing.

So I went looking for anything about her on the web, and found this on the board.

We haven't taken any dogs that are of her breeding in years. It was way too hard to have to PTS them due to aggression. We need our energy to help the dogs that we can re-home, and not tear ourselves up constantly with dealing with her breeding. I wear a major scar on my face from one her breeding we took years ago. Another volunteer who didn't heed my warning about these dogs, took an owner turn in, and bought it to a public adoption event. And he turned on another volunteer at the public adoption event, attacking her a number of times before we could get him under control and in a crate - I instantly told the volunteer that bought this dog in to PTS him and NEVER bring in another SM dog esp. when they come with papers going back to her breeding. (this volunteer thought I was awful, and she didn't do it, she privately behind our back adopted this dog out, never informing the adopter of his temperament or his bites to humans, but at least she is no longer one of our volunteers). All of the dogs that have come to us from her breeding or by her studs have had MAJOR AGGRESSION ISSUES. How do we know they are her breeding, cause the owners that turned them in gave their AKC papers or their puppy papers to us when they did. Even her out crossing has had major aggression issues, so it has to be a very strong gene or something that isn't working right within their brains?? And when they don't have papers and are in shelters, but look like her cookie cutter breeding, we even turn away from them in the shelter. Why? Cause for the last 11 or 12 years, we have had nothing but un-adoptable dogs coming out of her dogs, including when she studs out her male to outside females. Can you image a 9 week old puppy that would attack you, biting your face to do damage? Or this same puppy that would attack a 2 year child to take away their Christmas present of Elmo doll? And I am not making this up. This wasn't normal puppy putting teeth on you that you can work with, but a little major aggressive 9 week old that would actually go after your face if he didn't get what he wanted. He was out for blood and he wasn't planning on loosing, he was going to get what he wanted at any cost - or so he thought.

I am drained once again even after all these years, all I can say is that the word must be pass along that anyone with a dog they bought from SM and has aggression or major issues like the ones Breve's owners had - TELL A.K.C. in writing. Make it formal to them. Maybe with buyers complaining, opening their hearts and the hell they went through - just maybe AKC will do something about her. But to be honest, in my heart of hearts I KNOW AKC isn't going to do anything, cause they want more Border Collies registered with them (one of the reason they have not closed the stud books for our breed). They won't listen to Rescue, even when I took one that came into rescue to their National AKC Show in MO. with his AKC papers to show him off to them and meet his litter mates or relatives that where showing in the Confirmation Show Ring. Everyone that owned a relative of JD got excited about me having him until they found out he was neutered and was turned into rescue. His AKC puppy registration list his parents as CH Minimbah Turn the Tide DL 65268301 (Australia) & CH Korella Astar is Born DL63594701 Breeder SM. The "hush" could be heard everywhere at their show ground - and the AKC reps there said all they could do was de-register him. So what, that wasn't going to help him or future puppies she produced or their buyers that would live a life of "hell" with their dogs that they came to love and hate at the same time.

My heart goes out to all her puppy buyers, my sole and mind is drained at this time for the ugly dragon has raised it head again - and we in CA can't seem to destroy it. All I can pray is that Animal Control where ever she moves to, will make it rough as they can on her - And if she really moved into San BernardinoCounty - I can only pray they do. Education is very important to the public, so maybe the owners/buyers might go to their local Animal Control, their local papers and TV stations or contact San BernardinoCounty Animal Control and ask for Megan in Vet Services and tell her the story of Breve and let her know you heard she moved to Lake Arrowhead or Cedar Glen and tell their stories. In CA these things make major headlines when reported. Just another thought?

Thanks for chiming in on this with the full details, Bobbi,

A

247Shane and stockdogranch,

Does this person ever dump litters at animals shelters or are the puppies considered the money makers??? If she does dump puppies, do you know how far North they get dumped at the various shelters?

I don't know for sure, but my sense is that she seems to keep finding buyers suckers to buy them, including, as Bobbi mentions, promoting the sale of a breeding pair to folks so they THEY can then do the same and make money.

A

247Shane and stockdogranch,

Does this person ever dump litters at animals shelters or are the puppies considered the money makers??? If she does dump puppies, do you know how far North they get dumped at the various shelters?

I have to be honest, I dont know if she has personally dumped her dogs at shelters, but I know owners have taken them to the shelters after they can't find someone to take them or help amd placing their dogs in a shelter. Or like the 80 plus old woman that bought one of her pups died. Her estate attorney did put the dog in the shelter (for biting people and him). The attorney called us to take the dog and he would pay us to take him. I told him to call SM (he had his AKC papers turned over with him at the shelter). She refused to take the boy back. After the attorney took the 7 month to the shelter, the dotg attacked and bite one of their empolyees in the stomach, our recommendation was to PTS the dog and not adopt to the public.

I know she sells to people in the north, cause I do believe it was Northern CA BCR that told us a buyer contacted her that she bought two puppies that was hospitizaed the first night or second day for pavro. So I would guess it is possibly that someone buys from two different litters and start producing these dogs anywhere in the USA. But we have no personal knowledge of a full litter being dumped in a shelter. But then again we don't hear about all the litters across the USA or even reports from out of the state of CA dogs from her.

I don't know for sure, but my sense is that she seems to keep finding buyers suckers to buy them, including, as Bobbi mentions, promoting the sale of a breeding pair to folks so they THEY can then do the same and make money.

A

Many disreputable breeders do this, selling pairs or "breeding stock" animals. Swafford was one of these, but the list of people who do that irresponsibly is long, I am sure. I think it easily qualifies as a "red flag" when researching breeders. And so does selling on dog(s) as breeding stock particularly when one has found that a dog/bitch as passed on a genetic defect. That's certainly been known to happen.

Archived