BC Boards

Don't let children eat or handle dry pet food

Tommy Coyote

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/health/r...rch/10haza.html

This is interesting. I saw a report on the evening news.

There have been about 80 cases of salmonella reported. 32 cases were children.

CDC reported that you should not let children eat of handle dry pet food. And the everyone should wash their hands after handling it.

People with children under five should be careful.

Wow

I know this is tellig but I remember eating milk bones when I was a kid. :rolleyes: Plus I remember chasing both my girls out of the cat food.

Times they are a changing!

Yeah, times are changing. Now we take each other to court over anything. Although, I think some of the food contamination panic has to do with mass processing of meats, which can lead to contamination of huge batches.

Wow

I know this is tellig but I remember eating milk bones when I was a kid. :rolleyes: Plus I remember chasing both my girls out of the cat food.

Hell, I once had a 40-year-old coworker offer to eat a milk bone if I bought her coffee for a week. I didn't think she'd actually do it, but she did, and I ended up getting her starbucks every morning for a week.

Crap NJ I'd do it for a week of good coffee, I don't do starbucks cause of fair trade but I"m sure we could find something. :rolleyes: Not eat bones for a week but at least eat one...guess that says something about my taste!

HOw's the new place?

Crap NJ I'd do it for a week of good coffee, I don't do starbucks cause of fair trade but I"m sure we could find something. :rolleyes: Not eat bones for a week but at least eat one...guess that says something about my taste!

HOw's the new place?

Well, that particular Starbucks is now a place called SmartWorld, which is all organic/fair trade. So you'd be happy with that coffee. It's good too.

The new place is awesome. The dogs are loving it. Mick is enjoying his additional freedom, and it's nice not having him flip out at the window constantly at dogs walking by. Ginsberg isn't too thrilled, because my landlord witnessed his rabbit massacre and asked me to keep him inside. I must say, four nearly grown rabbits in one night was pretty impressive. I've got just about everything unpacked. STILL no internet there, but I did finally get a library card, so I have some internet access like 8 miles away. Allegedly, I will have internet tomorrow, but I'm not counting on it.

Are we on? Should I eat the milk bone now? I like Mocha lattes with no toppings.

Glad things are going good on the move!

Hey Liz

if you haven't watched it, Food Inc will give you a good case of the "I'm never eating that again" but then I get hungry and say what the H...bring it on. IT's not just dog food it's all mass production food!

eta

I remember way back when we had a cat. Chewy left me 27 mice all nicly lined up on the sidewalk. I think he savored the bunnies so I never saw them.

Are we on? Should I eat the milk bone now? I like Mocha lattes with no toppings.

Glad things are going good on the move!

Hey Liz

if you haven't watched it, Food Inc will give you a good case of the "I'm never eating that again" but then I get hungry and say what the H...bring it on. IT's not just dog food it's all mass production food!

eta

I remember way back when we had a cat. Chewy left me 27 mice all nicly lined up on the sidewalk. I think he savored the bunnies so I never saw them.

Alright, we're on! I'll just have to find a way to ship them to CO.

I haven't seen "Food, Inc" yet, but I'm already neurotic enough about food, that it's probably a good thing I haven't seen it.

Yeah, he definitely savored the bunnies. I think he just got full. Because the actual count was one neatly severed head, no body, then one with a head and half a body, then two whole ones. 27 mice is impressive. I see him catch mice, chipmunks, etc, but he usually eats those head to tail.

Heck, me and my Keeshond/Collie mix lived on Milk-Bones for a day and a half while stranded on a freeway ramp in some Godforsaken town while hitch-hiking between LA and San Francisco. Of course, that was... Well, never mind how long ago. Anyway, my teeth were white and bright and my breath was, er... bone meal fresh! :rolleyes:

Finally, some kind-hearted CHP gave us a ride to a better ramp.

Heck, me and my Keeshond/Collie mix lived on Milk-Bones for a day and a half while stranded on a freeway ramp in some Godforsaken town while hitch-hiking between LA and San Francisco. Of course, that was... Well, never mind how long ago. Anyway, my teeth were white and bright and my breath was, er... bone meal fresh! :rolleyes:

Finally, some kind-hearted CHP gave us a ride to a better ramp.

Okay, I'm going to come clean now. I usally get my guys the Aldi brand dog biscuits because they go crazy for them and they're $1/box. I figure they eat good kibble so two biscuits of junk a day is fine...but sometimes, I splurge and get them a bag of the cheddar biscuits from Bubba Rose Biscuit Company. I will eat a couple of them. They're pretty tasty and all organic/vegetarian/human grade ingredients. I've been back in their bakery (they have an online store, but their physical store/bakery is close to me) and its honestly cleaner than any bakery from human food I've been in.

Wow

Nice to know I wasn't the only one...

I would have guessed almost everyone on the board would have eaten a dog cookie at some point! :D

I've sampled the treats from Three Dog Bakery. They are not bad, but too bland for me to eat as a snack. :rolleyes: Their claim to fame is healthy dog treats made from human grade ingredients. My dogs go mad for the peanut butter "Woofers."

I would have guessed almost everyone on the board would have eaten a dog cookie at some point! :rolleyes:

I don't think I ever sampled dog treats as a child--I just ate dirt instead, lol! That's probably why stuff like Salmonella wouldn't bother me now.

Anyway, my parents were part owners of a feed store, so we did sample many of the Purina pelleted animal feeds, even tricking/convincing my brother into eating pig feed pellets. Horse pellets and similar I just remember seeming kind of salty with no real flavor....

J.

Purina pelleted animal feeds, even tricking/convincing my brother into eating pig feed pellets.

J.

Ok, that's funny.

Somebody once tricked me into eating "people crackers" which was supposed to be a play on "animal crackers." Turns out they were people-shaped cookies for dogs. I was suspicious but (it looked like) the tricksters were eating them, too. Luckily after I took a bite they started to laugh. I guess it is a classic prank, but you'd think I'd have been wiser by college!

B.

Archived