BC Boards

Wick at the AAC Nationals

We travelled to the absolutely magical Spruce Meadows in Calgary for the AAC National Championships. It was a special year, as it marks the 10 year anniversary of the AAC Nationals, and its first return to Spruce Meadows. Wick has been a very good stable pony as the boys travel over God's green, doing their sheep thing. So this past weekend, they held down the ex-pen while Miss Thang did her thing.

Um, Wick, let's not go up that trail.

P1010288.jpg

We made it to Lake Louise just as the sun was setting.

P1010292.jpg

We were able to crate in the huge barns at Spruce Meadows. It was a welcome respite from the mosquitoes.

P1010294.jpg

Lou tried to steal a beagle's crate. I can't believe he managed to turn around in that thing.

IMG_1165.jpg

Wick and Pi, with their insane handlers who decided Nationals would be a good time to engage in an a$$ pass competition (AP = blind cross).

team_AP.jpg

Collie Nation. :rolleyes:

P1010311.jpg

And homeward bound. I always stop at this rest area and take a pic. Just once, I would like Lou to look like he hadn't just been beaten. Every picture here, Lou? Really? You can't let me have one scenic-backdrop-all-dogs photo?

P1010352.jpg

And here's a compilation of our time at Nationals, plus some other pics and video for filler. We didn't have any clean runs, and indeed some of our runs were train wrecks. But know what? We had fun. You must have a sense of humour to run a dog like Wick.

That was a cute video! Looks like both you and Wick were having a ball. Tell me you color-enhanced the picture near the beginning, with the bright red tongue!

Wick has a little bobbed tail like my Daisy, who came to me that way for reasons unknown. I just know it was bobbed when she was a pup, and I've often wondered why whoever bobbed it did so. Do you know Wick's background to know why her tail is bobbed? Just curious.

Hi Jan,

All I know is that Wick is from eastern Washington State (Pasco area) and apparently it's not unusual for the ranchers around there to dock tails. That Wick could be from ranch dog lines is laughable to me, but maybe she's that one that just didn't turn on. :D

When we trial in Washington, more than one person has asked me if she's from Yakima, as that apparently is home to the Yakima Dock. I do know she is docked, not naturally bobbed, but as to why, I'm not sure other than fashion in that area. I wish people would stop cutting things off dogs. :rolleyes:

Laura, I know, right? I mean, when the wheels fall off, they REALLY fall off, and all's you can do is set it to music!

p.s. No, the tongue was not photoshopped. We were in Alberta, and I think she had just off'ed a prairie dog.

Wick has a little bobbed tail like my Daisy, who came to me that way for reasons unknown. I just know it was bobbed when she was a pup, and I've often wondered why whoever bobbed it did so. Do you know Wick's background to know why her tail is bobbed? Just curious.

We had a couple BCs come into rescue from Wyoming a couple years ago, all with docked tails. We were told some ranchers prefer them docked so they don't get caught in fences/brush or stomped.

We had a couple BCs come into rescue from Wyoming a couple years ago, all with docked tails. We were told some ranchers prefer them docked so they don't get caught in fences/brush or stomped.

Well, Daisy is from a rural part of Utah. And Clara's Bing, who looks JUST LIKE Daisy, bobbed tail and all, came from eastern Oregon. Neither Daisy nor Bing seems much like a ranch dog, so maybe that's why they were rescues! :rolleyes: Well, we're just happy we've got them.

Spruce Meadows sounds like a great place. Sometime maybe we'll combine a visit to the Calgary relatives with a dog trip! Basically from my house, you would just hop on I-15 and drive 1600 miles north, with dogs in your car! :D

...and the handles on the sinks in the restrooms were GOLD (colored!).
You got to use the indoor plumbing? <jealous> But yeah, it's just an unbelievably nice facility. I still can't believe they let dogs in! We were even allowed to put the dogs in the fountains!

Sometime maybe we'll combine a visit to the Calgary relatives with a dog trip! Basically from my house, you would just hop on I-15 and drive 1600 miles north, with dogs in your car! :rolleyes:

So, Jan, are you in San Diego or Utah?

So, Jan, are you in San Diego or Utah?

I live in San Diego, but we have a daughter in Utah, so I visit there a lot! Another daughter lives in North Carolina, another great place to visit. One can plan around the seasons, e.g. fall color in NC but no summer sweltering heat for me, thank you!

Archived