BC Boards

Need quality nail clippers

Lewis Moon

I just clipped Cerb's nails and that's the last time I'll use those crappy pot metal stamped abominations. Can someone suggest a good quality set (and where to get them cheapish)? Cerb has white nails and I can see the quick well so I don't need anything with any safety gadgets. I like the "scissor" type.

I second the dremel. Bear hated having his nails trimmed with clippers....it was a struggle each time, especially with his back feet. The first time I used the dremelon him he fell asleep he was so relaxed. I've only done Meg's nails once...she was nervous about the dremel at first, but soon relaxed.

Hitting the quick is not really an issue with the dremel as you're sanding off a little at a time.

Cerb's a real prince when getting his nails clipped. He just lays there quietly with eyes that say "um...I'd rather be somewhere else". He doesn't pull, squirm or nip.

He is, however, marginally afraid of the vacuum, which makes me think that the dremel would be more stressing.

I'm more worried about the jaws on the clippers I have flexing like a cheap pair of scissors so that the nail doesn't get cleanly cut first pass.

He should be fine with the Dremel (mini mite - cordless) it's not loud or rough. Take your time, introduce it one foot at a time with him on his back....it really is the only way to go IMO! When you try it make sure your hair is up and out of the way though if you have long hair :rolleyes:

I use the Mini-mite, too, but I have a hard time keeping the rechargeable batteries from dying. Recently I had a rescue foster come in with a bunch of grooming equipment, etc. I rolled my eyes when I saw the "As Seen On TV!!!" Pedi Paws grinder, but I tried it seeing as how yet another dremel battery bit the dust. I had to twist off the "safety cover" but by golly it worked! It's slow and quiet, and even my squirmy girl didn't mind it. That fact, combined with the replaceable (C?) batteries, makes this thing a keeper at my house.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add my vote for the dremel too. Thanks to Journey :rolleyes: and finally getting my wriggly little Belle to learn "flip" onto her back, doing nails is MUCH better. With four dogs to do, I do run out battery quick, so we have to do nails over a period of days. (only because I don't do them as often as I should)

Wow, I'm surprised at how many use a dremel. I have no issues with the clippers, the whole gang sleeps while getting their nails done, but I find I have to file after I cut to get the sharp edges down. I think I'll give the dremel a try!

ETA: Although it is 50 bucks here, so I might try to borrow one first :rolleyes:

Dremel!! Only way to go... gets the nails much shorter and smoother without the quick getting hit. As for noise I use a named brand, plug in type from home depot for my vaccume terrified border collie and he doesn't mind in the least. This is a dog that will bite groomers who clip his nails. Just takes some time to get them use to it... chicken or steak helps this processes move quicker...

Archived