BC Boards

kinda off topic

I think the previous posts have covered all the main points -- and have done it very well.

As a small addition to the issue about home insurance and rottweilers, pits, GSDs, etc., I have definitely heard of that before. Heck even large dogs can sometimes raise the antennas of the insurance companies. When I moved to NJ with my 60 lb BC X lab, the insurance company really grilled me on the dog - personality and breed.

By extension, I just ran into another issue. My husband and I and 2 dogs (one BC and one sheltie X) are spending a week at a private rental cabin next month. When making the reservation, I was asked the breed of my two dogs. The cabin's owners' insurance policy will not allow them to "rent to" pits or rotts. So, if you plan on taking vacations with a Rottie, you may have to carefully investigate where you go and stay.

Jovi

Day before yesterday 3 rotties attacked a five year old boy - he is in critical condition. They pulled him out of his bed and just ripped him to pieces.

The man who owned them has had other dogs euthanized by animal control in the past - all for being agressive. Well, I think the police actually shot two of his other dogs.

What bothers me about this breed is that a lot of the dogs may be just fine but the potential for extreme violence is still there. If they ever do decide to attack they have the potential to kill children and adults.

I would just never, ever take that risk.

In the wrong hands, any breed of dog is capable of extreme violence (well maybe not those tea cup things, but I'm sure you get my drift). Clearly there is a common denominator here and personally, I'd be passing judgment on the human involved in this story, not the multiple dogs he's ruined.

I grew up around GSDs, Rototillers and Dobermans, to this day, I've yet to meet one that was mean.

A friend of mine is a Rottie person to her very core. She currently has three and her passion is therapy work and educating children about dogs.

Her dogs have all been absolutely plagued by health issues, one after the other. Granted they are all rescues and we know nothing of their breeding, but it is heartbreaking to watch all that she goes through with them. As a whole, they don't seem to be a particularly healthy/sound breed.

I generally think Rotties are big love bugs. I also second, third, billionth the health caveat, but I think that is a general factor you have to look at when considering a breed over a certain size.

I have noticed some sound sensitivity/skittishness in some of the lines. Maybe it's just a Florida thing.

Growing up my dad fostered a lot of dogs. He never allowed me to get a rottweiler. I got one as a adult because I always loved them, Every one I'd met had been sweet. Mine was pretty healthy but had wheat allergies. So he would throw up on most dry foods. But he was awesome. I have two kids, he cuddled with everyone. The only thing that sucked about that was he was 120 lbs, wanted to sit on your lap. He was pretty laid back, no aggression issues at all. He loved everyone, all creatures. I trust a rottweiler over a lab and a poodle anyday but that's been my personal experience. (no offense to those breeds). Border collies are my favorite breed but rottweilers are a close 2nd. Once I get a bigger place I'll have another. But they don't have a long life span even without illness. Research about them a lot than decide what's best for you. I don't agree with the bad reputation they have. But maybe I got lucky, had a awesome dog. Mine wouldn't have hurt a fly.

There's a lady I know with a massive Rottie. His name is Harley and when standing almost comes up to my hip. They're the cutest couple, she's in her 70's (I think), so funny to see them together. He's the biggest sweetheart, but I'm sure if you messed with his person he'd do some damage.

Day before yesterday 3 rotties attacked a five year old boy - he is in critical condition. They pulled him out of his bed and just ripped him to pieces.

The man who owned them has had other dogs euthanized by animal control in the past - all for being agressive. Well, I think the police actually shot two of his other dogs.

What bothers me about this breed is that a lot of the dogs may be just fine but the potential for extreme violence is still there. If they ever do decide to attack they have the potential to kill children and adults.

I would just never, ever take that risk.

Any dog has the potential for violence and any medium/large dog (including a border collie) could take out a 5 year old. Given the history, I'd blame the owner on this one.

No dogs should be left unattended with kids. Honestly, I'd trust my pit bull with a kid over Mick any day. But I've been in the pit bull argument with you online before elsewhere...lol. I'd own a rottie any day. I love all the "scary" breeds. They make fine pets in the right hands. Mick (and the BC I no longer have) are honestly the only non-GSD, pit bull or cross thereof dogs I or my family have had.

I've been bitten by a fair amount of dogs. The only vicious attack on me was by a lhasa apso.

I've been bitten by a fair amount of dogs. The only vicious attack on me was by a lhasa apso.

I was just swapping notes with a vet friend and the worst injuries he has ever had, and also the worst sustained by my mother when running a grooming business were both from Westies.

Pam

I was just swapping notes with a vet friend and the worst injuries he has ever had, and also the worst sustained by my mother when running a grooming business were both from Westies.

Pam

It's usually the little ones that are nasty. My grandfather's mini-poodle bites everyone but him and me. That dog loves me. All the westies I've known have been pretty nice, but overall, the only large breed that I've seen be consistently aggressive (i.e. the only big dog I would never own for personality reasons) is the chow chow.

Archived