BC Boards

Help! Tips for Removing Burrs/Sticks

We just got back from a wonderful trip to Zion National Park where Allie decided that she much preferred sleeping in the dirt to her bed and brought back quite a bit of the local flora and fauna in her fur. :rolleyes:

She does NOT want me to brush them out (it hurts!) and I have hand-picked some of them out. Does anyone have some helpful hints for removing small burrs/sticks/pine needles?

Pick out by hand the ones you can. Comb out the easier stuff. If too stuck in the fur and they don't want to let you comb due to "it hurts", then I take my scissors and gently cut the burr so it can be picked out by hand. In cases were the burr is just impossible to get out by pick or cut/then pick, I just cut the hair there. Since Allie isn't my cat,you should come out to this looking a lot better than I did. LOL I don't call her Molly the Mauler for nothing. I used this method for Tuck and have used it on Sam too.

Trying to comb the burs out just makes them stay in harder in my experience !! I just kind of open the hairs apart around the bur and pick it out. I really feel for you. Last fall I almost took a 'photo of the burs I got out of Dylan's tail. I counted 150 then gave up.... When I show Dylan the burs he wants to pull them out himself and I just help him. He kind of understands I am helping him especially when he pulls and hurts himself and then I do it and it doesn't hurt. I also give him the burs that I pull out occassionally which kind of keeps him happy. I have also cut things out too, but try not to do that too much or he'd end up having no tail ! You could try treating her for staying still/calm. Or you could give her a chewy to distract her...

If the burr is really close to the skin, we use the flip up edge of dh's electric razor (the part you would use for longer hair). Luckily, so far, the ones that have been hard to get out were in hidden places like armpits, so at this point Scout doesn't have any bald spots where we had to cut or shave.

Has anyone tried that detangling spray you use on kids? I haven't but wondered if you could use it on dogs, it works very well on my daughter.

Do tell!

Hey did you know the family suffering the awful tragedy with the crazy bear? Any news on whether they captured the right bear? I have had bear nightmares ever since, we are going back to the Smokies this summer. I love bears!! What a horrible thing for both bear and family.

Try Showsheen that's made by Absorbine. You can find it at tack/feed stores and it should help the burrs slide out. Even better would be to spray some on and work it through the coat before going into an area where you might expect to pick up burrs/sticks etc. Showsheen makes the hair slick and really helps to keep the horses manes and tails untangled, making them super easy to groom and if they pick up sticks or burrs they comb out easily. Dog groomers also use it on their show dogs.

Zoe - I agree with you. Opening the hair around them and picking them out is probably the easiest way to do it. We have a mixed breed ... with a very bush butt and tail. We took him to one of the lakes around here, and he rolled in the burrs. I was almost to the point of taking him to the vet and having them shave him because he was bleeding from all the little stickers going into his skin. Instead, we ended up cutting all the hair off his "pantaloons" and tail hair. It was a really bad haircut. It looked like he sat on a bomb. So we started calling him "blast-ass" and "explodo-butt." I can't find a photo of the haircut, but here's a photo after all the hair, unfortunately, grew back. LOL

wat4pc.jpg

Jodi

Try spraying a little W-D 40 on the coat, let it sit for a bit, then try brushing it out. I use it on dogs and horses. It's great for getting snarls out of horses tails. It won't hurt them, and it works like a charm. Do a google on W-D 40 uses, it's pretty amazing stuff. Oh and I hate sand burrs, we're in the sand, and I have a huger 'crop' of them, gerrrrrrrr.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Allie has already chewed some of the stuff out (big strands of hair with little sticky things in them laying all over the house). Unfortunately, there are a lot more. :rolleyes:

I especially appreciate the preventative ideas because we camp and hike a lot and this is bound to keep happening. Thanks again!