BC Boards

starting a young dog

blackacre

Bill my good buddy,

Ah, humility. Now we're talking.

Your experience with Molly was just the kind of thing I was looking for. Of course although I will not be doing any shedding with Toby in the foreseeable future (other than inadvertantly), I can certainly contrive to have him fetch sheep against pressure and so make him "sing for his supper" so to speak.

I was also curious to hear people's views on the difference between Kelpies and border collies, if any. Speaking from my limited experience, there are, so far, few if any differences. He does move in a way not characteristic of border collies at times, throwing his front legs forward when running at full clip. I have also seen him use the "cat pounce" and snap his teeth (the "snapping turtle") to move heavy sheep but neither behaviour has been in evidence since the snow melted. Oh yes, and he barked once getting sheep out of the corner.

The thing that interests me is that I have no idea if any of this is individual to this dog, is characteristic of his line (daddy is a cattle dog) or is common to Kelpies. Nor does it matter, since I am training him as I see him. Just intellectual curiousity really. Beats arguing about pet border collie breeders though, don't you think?

A.

Yeah, in this neck of the woods I don't know of anyone working cattle regularly.

So how did he do on cattle? What was their temperament? Did he have to "hit" them at all? Did he prefer to head or heel if that opportunity was needed at all?

Where did you get him from? I forgot.

Jennifer

Hey Andrea

Much as I love Border Collies, as an Australian, it?s nice to see a post about a working Kelpie ? THE great Australian working dog! From a quick look at the working Kelpie US site, it seems they may be used more on cattle than sheep in the US. I thought you might like a couple of Australian sites where you might be able to ask about the Kelpie?s working style on sheep - although I think you?re probably right that the style varies from dog to dog as much as there being a generic breed style difference, and that you'll be working on what you see in the pup you've got. Anyway, enjoy ?

http://www.wkc.org.au/

http://www.noonbarra.com/ (email: kelpies@noonbarra.com

Terry -- The cent keystroke is Alt. 155 -- ? . NumLock must be on and you use the number pad.

Mine is worth less than 2?, but there is a lady who brings 4 or 5 of her Kelpies to help at clinics & lessons I've attended. She moves the groups of sheep across the acreage in and out of rotation, does set out & containment, etc. Her dogs are incredibly keen, and the ones she's trained the longest are skillful, powerful, and have finesse. She works cattle with them when she's home.

It's tough being a Kelpie at a Border Collie clinic, you hear things like, "Hey that Kelpie's sleeping behind the rear tire of your truck" -- "Oh yeah? Quick, where are the keys?"

Anyway, these are my first Kelpie encounters, and I liked this lady's dogs.

Here's a pic called "Guess Where The Sheep Are" -- 5 Kelpies...

5kelpies.jpg

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the websites. I'd run across the Noonbarra website before and was impressed. Took amazing self restraint not to go ahead and order a puppy. (Hey, it was midwinter and there was at least three feet of snow on the ground. You get a little crazy.)

Have you seen Kelpies working over there? I'm pretty sure Australian dog trials are quite different from ours. I would love to hear more.

One of the best things about getting a Kelpie is making new friends. Not that I don't love my border collie buddies. (Love you T. Ask PairDog about spell check, you're on a roll.)

PairDog,

That is the coolest pic. Was that at a Karen Child clinic? I was thinking of getting her to judge my trial one year, she was recommended highly to me. However, economics being what they are, I decided I couldn't afford to fly her in.

A.

Her dogs are incredibly keen, and the ones she's trained the longest are skillful, powerful, and have finesse. She works cattle with them when she's home.Anyway, these are my first Kelpie encounters, and I liked this lady's dogs.
Thank you very much for the kind words and compliments, Gene.

Best regards, Lauren

Her dogs are incredibly keen, and the ones she's trained the longest are skillful, powerful, and have finesse. She works cattle with them when she's home.Anyway, these are my first Kelpie encounters, and I liked this lady's dogs.
Thank you very much for the kind words and compliments, Gene.

Best regards, Lauren

Lauren -- Great to see you!! I assume anonymity is desired unless otherwise notified, hence no identifiers in my post. Glad you stepped up to take credit, they're GREAT dogs.

Andrea -- That photo was actually at a Scott Glen Clinic, but it's the same land where the Karen Child photos were taken.

Does any one know of where I could find pictures of kelpie X's ? We have a dog we were told was a BC/Lab cross, however a trainer has since mentioned she thinks she is a kelpie/acd or bc cross... looking at pictures I would say she's pretty close in her guess.... just looking for something to compare her to, for the sake of converstation after all we will never know for sure :rolleyes:

sara

Guest totallyterry2003

Pair Dog,

Thanks for the information about the cent sign. I tend to need it more than the dollar sign.

As Black Acre likes to proclaim, I am computer illiterate and a darn rotten speller. I still cannot make my spellcheck work.

Give me a little computer information at your own risk cause I will make a pest of myself by coming back for more.

Margaret,

The Michigan trial was NOT my most shining hour on the field. My advice to you......NEVER try to trial a young dog that has not been worked in a month. Don't run your ancient dogs if you haven't gotten them in physical shape. Most dogs do outruns. Mine did an outwalk to save energy.

Eating humble pie and lots of it.

Terry,

Oh shoot, it really sucks when everything goes to hell in a handbasket, and oh so publicly. I'll tell you though I am quite a humble pie connosieur myself. Have it with some ice cream: Cherry Garcia is a favorite of mine. When I start trialing I might be able to cover some costs with a humble pie cookbook: 1001 Ways to Delicous Humble Pie on just a hundred or two hundred dollars per weekend.