BC Boards

Grooming Questions

One thing that I foolishly didn't consider too much before I brought home a rough coated bc was his grooming. I mean, I bought a brush and I even use it ocassionally, but he has developed some matting behind his ears and under his belly. He doesn't mind being brushed a little, but he will not put up with serious attempts to untangle his fur.

Is a little bit of matting just something that most bc owners live with, or should I be more diligent about his coat upkeep. Does anyone here shave or even trim their dogs' coat? Considering how incredibly hot it is in DC during the summer, is he better off going sheered, or does his coat have insulating properties that actually keep him cooler.

Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

-Mary

I feel your pain :rolleyes: I think the matting depends on the fur type. Lucia mats up pretty easy, even with regular grooming. Grady never gets mats and his fur is even longer than hers, but they have different types of fur. Lucia is soft and fine and thick. Grady has a thinner coat that's really smooth and slick feeling.

I wouldn't shave your dog completely. A groomer can do a nice belly and inner leg shave to him cooler in the summer. They do have some insulating properties to their coat that helps keep the sun out and prevent them from burning.

We have their bellies shaved (helps having a husband that was a groomer); Some swear their dogs are cooler without their coats...but if you can get the undercoat out using a undercoat rake or a Mars coat king type of product that helps tremendously.

Also, if there is matting it needs to come out; you can get hot spots or sores where the mats are (like mine are ever completely mat free)

A trip to the groomer in early summer for a wash and power blow will get out alot of the undercoat and the mats will get taken out as well. I miss our grooming shop and power blower...

cynthia

I groom Vala myself. I wash her every two weeks and then brush her out afterwards (using a regular dog brush--but she only gets mats under her ears where she has a lot of ruff, and if I am diligent about this routine she doesn't get them at all). I also check her toenails then and brush her teeth... She gets a treat before and after I work on a mat, just like the way she gets a treat before and after I cut each of her toenails. She seems to feel better afterwards; either she is glad I'm done or she likes being clean and the attention. She prances a little afterwards and her tail is always way up. But she is reallllly laid back about what I do her, 110% trust. (Probably reinforced by my generous treating whenever I have to do something remotely approaching negative to her.) In this way I avoid needing a groomer, which I really can't afford, despite the fact that it is really hot in Louisiana in the summer. During the summer, we do her exercise in the reeeeally early morning.

The Best thing I have found for double coated dogs is a rake I order at Jeffers Pet supply out of MO. It is a double toothed rake with metal teeth, black plastic with red paw prints on the handle. It has a spring in it so the teeth are not set but move some and lots nicer on the dogs skin than most rakes. It sells for about 5.00 I think, get a couple- after a couple years the handles break.

I groom also and use this every day. IF you need me to find a book and look up the name I will. I think it is Magic spring rake... something like that. THere are single row and double row - get the double row.

Denice

Seamus was matted behind the ears and by his rear when i got him. The ones by his ears were too thick to deal with without causing him a lot of pain so i just snipped them off. The ones on his lower back by his tail I was able to get out. I gave him a bath and while the shampoo was sitting I covered the mats with dog conditioner and worked through them with a comb. Took about 5 minutes but they came out nicely.

I took him to the groomer and got him a "hygiene shave" around his rear end area and his tummy. I've been contemplating shaving his inner thighs and underneath to keep him cooler and less matted. But other than that, i wouldn't shave him. I've also found a good way to keep his shedding down (as he's shedding heavily ATM) is to brush him out while he's in the tub with the shampoo still on him. And then a good force drying with the blower helps immensely too.

I think you have to experiment with your dog(s) to see what keeps them the most comfortale. Sam is definitely wayyyy cooler in the summer with her coat trimmed to about 1/2 inch a couple times. She's always grown it back just fine. Shonie has a thick, dense coat, and since I need to bathe her at least every couple weeks with prescription shampoo that costs a bundle, it's easier on everybody if she gets clipped, too.

Ruth

Re: ear mats: I will sometimes thin the hair in the crease at the bottom of his ear with a thinning shear...you can't really tell and less hair = less matting. I also use a dimethecone spray sparingly on Ross' ears and belly which helps minimize the mats. He never used to get mats but as he has aged (and post neutering) his coat has changed texture and is a softer, more likely to tangle texture.

I always use the dimethicone on my Papillons' ear fringes. It works wonders (just use it sparingly and use it outside as it will make your floor slick if you get overspray).

I've got to give it to those of you with full rough-coated dogs. I just couldn't handle that amount of hair. Secret has just enough hair to put her out of the "smoothie" category (her brother is a smoothie, though!), but is miles away from a rough coat. I like my wash & wear dogs -- although both of my other dogs are double-coated and blow like mad a few times a year.

I'm a horrible owner when it comes to brushing. I do it pretty much... never.

I'm never going to complain about fur maintenance on my two ever again. I'm currently fostering a bearded collie and he's a grooming nightmare :rolleyes: Keeping in mind, his current coat is crappy because of lack of care and good diet, but I still couldn't imagine this on a fulltime basis.

Fingers crossed....he has a potential adopter...thank doG!

He never used to get mats but as he has aged (and post neutering) his coat has changed texture and is a softer, more likely to tangle texture.

Yeah, this is the problem. Seamus still hasn't completely outgrown his puppy fuzz, and I'm beginning to fear that he never well. The hair behind his ears is abundant, yet fine and wispy. We've taken to calling him Einstein.

Seamus.jpg

This is just me personally but if you gave him a quick brush over everyday then there shouldn't be any reason for there to be mats as such. Knots I could understand but matting shouldn't develop in a day. My dog are thick coated all over but they do have thick long tails and feathers but a quick 30 sec brush everyday and taking the burrs out to stop their fur tangling is all they need. One of my dogs is coarse haired, the other fine and thin. You could train him to stand still and put up with it. I just expect from my dogs even when they are puppies that they let me do it. They don't get to go anywhere till I am done and will let me move them around to brush them. Sure they protested when they were little but there's is no butts about it they have to be brushed. Perhaps just trim back that fine ear fur, he is mighty cute.

Archived