BC Boards

Good toys Bad toys...

When we went to the vet she explained to us that they're was this new chew toy called a greenie (i think) and it was very toxic for dogs since they actually ingest it. I'm going to go shopping soon for some really good toys (as indestructible as possible, since my BC chews things into oblivion in a matter of seconds!) and would like input from your dog's experiance with his/her toys...

Our agility BC, Blaze, won a cheap plush Zanies toy duck for 1st place in a trial. Our young BC Zip swallowed a wing from it; a month later he had emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction, contracted peritonitis and almost died. Several hundred dollars later, he was fine! We keep all toys (except KONGS) on top of the frig, unless we are actively watching (with both eyes) a dog play with it!

Barb S

Yeah I heard that they swallow the "Greenies" and they can block their air way and their bowls. I hear they're bad things. I wouldn't buy any.

If you search greenies you'll find nearly all of us wont feed it to our dogs. I tried one time with Riven and about 12 hours later she vomited stuff that looked like green styrophome. The vet tech insisted when we bought it that it was ok, there have never been any side effects and it was all a rumor. I called them immediately and told them what I thought of greenies.

DONT BUY GREENIES!! bad bad bad things! They dont break up and arent digestable as they are suppossed to be. My BoyF's Parent's Pom got a piece of onw stuck in the lower part of her throat as well as a part stuck in her bowel. SHe had a MAJOR surgery, almost died about 3 times. Had a stomach tube for a while and was sick for a few months. It was AWFUL! Their vet has stopped selling them, as well as a few other vets back at home. SOme still sell them and I dont know how they do when so many problems have happened with them.. but SAY NO TO GREENIES!!

My suggestion.. I SWEAR by Kongs. I have...hmm..8 kongs. I have 1 regular, 2 regular shape puppy, 1 dental stick, 2 dental balls, a "cool kong" water toy, and a bounce everywhere ball. IOnly one of these has been thoroughly destroyed and thats the dental stick which they have been AVIDLY chewing on for a while and my Lab/GSD/BC dog's jaws are too strong for a regular kong, he's going to be moved up to extreme kongs as soon as I order some.

Kongs are great because they massage the gums, are VERY interactive as they bounce EVERYWHERE even when the dog drops them. They come in 3 intesities; puppy(blue and white or pink and white), regular (red) and Extreme(black). They have everything from dental to balls to treat toys to regular kongs to water kongs to tennis kongs.

They can also be filled with various treat :rolleyes: Which excercises the mind and makes a dog work for its food as they do int the wild.

GREAT toys! I love em!

www.kongcompany.com

Oh and not only will most dogs not eat them, they usually break up in pieces smaller then a large food nugget and if you get the correct size/intensity and inspect it regularly. They can be pretty unsupervised toys. They are with my dogs 24/7.

Greenies aren't actually 'toys'. They are dental hygene edibles. They are supposed to be ingested. The problem many people experience is that their dog will often swallow hunks of it at a time and apparently they don't dissenegrate in the tummy very well.

I stopped giving them to my dogs due to the RISK. Just wasn't worth it.

They dont dissenigrate hardly at all, thats the main problem. Especially for an edible item

I never got Ouzo to buy into the Kong thing. I tried everything, suffing it with yummy treats, PB, yogurt, it just lays there unused.

BALLS is the favorite toy in our house! He can't have enough! When he goes overboard with them I have to take them away from him, then he comes and cries and throws tantrums. Oh, the joys of a 1 year old spoiled puppy! When I take his tennis and rubber balls and put them away, he then stalks the closet where they're at and tries to chew through the door or just gives me sad sad looks and cries, until I finaly give up and give him the ball back to play.

Missy's favorite toys are solid rubber balls that I buy from Jeffers (the 2 1/2 inch size). I used tennis balls for a while, but I switched when I noticed her teeth starting to wear from them, and she would shred them. The rubber balls stand up very well to chewing.

Kipp likes to play tug with braided fleece tugs. I made them from fleece material I got from Wal-Mart - $1 worth of fabric was enough to make three of them. He also chews, but is fine with these as long as playtime is supervised.

My boys have a few firm sponge balls and kongs. I've got a puppy kong, king size black kong, floating kong on a rope, kong ball, dental kong and the latest (it's brand new as of Saturday and they LOVE it) is a black kong "bone" with treat holes in the ends. I don't give them anything soft because they just tear it to shreds, though once in a while I'll get a rope toy even though I know it'll be gone in no time. Something else for a cheap thrill is an empty carboard box. Makes a big mess once it's shredded all over the house but the dogs enjoy them while they last. For chewing I also have several large smoked bones. The bones are great at keeping the dogs teeth clean.