BC Boards

LGD's & cattle

sea4th

We're actually thinking of pasturing the sheep and steers together, for a measure of protection for the sheep. When momma cows calve, they tend to be intolerant of dogs around their calves, so that may be something to think about.

Anyone use LGD's with cattle? Preference of one type of LGD over another? I'm asking for someone else.

Thanks.

Vicki,

Someone on the workinglivestockguarddogs list just posted a similar question for someone looking for LGDs for a 200-acre cattle operation. The concern seems to be that adult cattle and horses might not take kindly to the introduction of dogs meant to protect them and that it would be difficult to safely introduce the dogs to the livestock over such a large area. In this particular operation, pregnant cows are brought inside for calving but returned to the herd when the calves are around two weeks old, and coyote predation of calves is occurring then. Anyway, I'll pass along any pertinent information anyone might share on that list regarding cattle and LGDs.

J.

Vicki,

Someone on the workinglivestockguarddogs list just posted a similar question for someone looking for LGDs for a 200-acre cattle operation. The concern seems to be that adult cattle and horses might not take kindly to the introduction of dogs meant to protect them and that it would be difficult to safely introduce the dogs to the livestock over such a large area. In this particular operation, pregnant cows are brought inside for calving but returned to the herd when the calves are around two weeks old, and coyote predation of calves is occurring then. Anyway, I'll pass along any pertinent information anyone might share on that list regarding cattle and LGDs.

J.

Thanks guys. I haven't check my e-mails yet, but this might be the same person I'm asking for, Julie. I referred her to that group earlier today. I don't know her personally, but she posted on a group where most are interested in conformation, although say their dogs do double duty as LGD's. I don't know, so I just steered her to where I thought she might benefit the most.

I'll go check now. Thanks!!!

Archived