BC Boards

My girl Gypsy had an accidental encounter (her running flat out one way but looking another way) with another dog last weekend which resulted in other dog biting because it was frightened and was discovered by me 1 hour later coz she didnt show any signs she was hurt. took her to vets asap and was ga'd and stitched up, Over the last 2 days some stiches have fallen out wound is clean but edges not healed at all, rang vet who said it would heal but will take some time, keep it clean and rest her, also talked to friend today who is a vet who said it too, would heal if not infected. I am an RN and know what infected wound looks like and its not, so anyone had experience with this, how long does it take? its just back from her shoulder blade and about 4cms?

I would hazard a guess that if it's clean, not inflamed or infected, and not bothering her, that it will be okay as it heals from the inside out. It never ceases to amaze me how fast these animals can heal.

One caveat is that if it is such that activity affects it, you might want to reduce or modify her activity a bit to give it a better chance to heal.

Best wishes!

you don't say where the wound is.

Mick suffered an injury last year, He sliced (quite deep) right below and into his metacarpal pad. He bleed through a bath towel (I mean the towel was soaking in blood) before I could get the blood to slow down. When we got to the vets, it reopened when the wrapping was taken off.

The vet stiched him closed and told me it'd be ok but keep him quiet.

The spot where the cut was made it impossible for the stitches to hold. But it was to old to really restitch. A few of the stitches held right in the middle of the cut. It tooks months for it to actually close altogether. But I kept it clean and kept him as quiet as I could (walking would reopen it) after he finally healed I cut what was left of the stitches out and the wound was fine. I'm sure the scar is ugly but you can't see it as even his skin is black there.

I honestly think keeping the foot imobile as I could didn't help. When it did heal I think he lost some of the bending movement in his foot. He's really about fine but you can see if he's been running allot it bothers him. I'll notice he keeps his foot bent in the same fashion that I wrapped it or in the same way the vet had stitched it.

But...it never got infected and besides where the cut was and the scaring, he healed fine with the edges open.

He was on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

Wow, i'm suprised your dog didn't manage to cut a tendon doing that. My dog cut just above her metacarpal pad, managed to cut her digital flexor tendon and is still in rehab for it. It happened back in January.....

you don't say where the wound is.

Mick suffered an injury last year, He sliced (quite deep) right below and into his metacarpal pad. He bleed through a bath towel (I mean the towel was soaking in blood) before I could get the blood to slow down. When we got to the vets, it reopened when the wrapping was taken off.

The vet stiched him closed and told me it'd be ok but keep him quiet.

The spot where the cut was made it impossible for the stitches to hold. But it was to old to really restitch. A few of the stitches held right in the middle of the cut. It tooks months for it to actually close altogether. But I kept it clean and kept him as quiet as I could (walking would reopen it) after he finally healed I cut what was left of the stitches out and the wound was fine. I'm sure the scar is ugly but you can't see it as even his skin is black there.

I honestly think keeping the foot imobile as I could didn't help. When it did heal I think he lost some of the bending movement in his foot. He's really about fine but you can see if he's been running allot it bothers him. I'll notice he keeps his foot bent in the same fashion that I wrapped it or in the same way the vet had stitched it.

But...it never got infected and besides where the cut was and the scaring, he healed fine with the edges open.

He was on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

I think he did slice some of the tendon (I think he hit some tin roofing). Like I said, it's been over a year and I can tell when he's been running hard or doing to much. Not all the way through but enough that I wish the vet had looked closer, this of course was on a Sunday evening after 9pm so I was just greatful that the vet met me at his office other wise I just don't know if we'd have made the emergency vets over an hour away. He bled off an on the whole way. Scarest thing we've had happen to date. Knock on wood. his middle name is not Grace!

I still think about entering him in big field trials but I know better. Still I think about it all the time.

He does have other reasons he shouldn't be in big field trials but that's a whole nother story.

We entered one last fall, we didn't do very well but it wasn't cause of his leg....

I feel that you are very lucky the leg healed well enough for the dog to even walk on it. I know my dog has been in rehab for 4 months and is just now to the point where she is sound. They tell me she will go back to being competitive but it is going to take a full year of getting her back to that point.

You are one lucky dog owner!!

I think he did slice some of the tendon (I think he hit some tin roofing). Like I said, it's been over a year and I can tell when he's been running hard or doing to much. Not all the way through but enough that I wish the vet had looked closer, this of course was on a Sunday evening after 9pm so I was just greatful that the vet met me at his office other wise I just don't know if we'd have made the emergency vets over an hour away. He bled off an on the whole way. Scarest thing we've had happen to date. Knock on wood. his middle name is not Grace!

I still think about entering him in big field trials but I know better. Still I think about it all the time.

He does have other reasons he shouldn't be in big field trials but that's a whole nother story.

We entered one last fall, we didn't do very well but it wasn't cause of his leg....