BC Boards

How do I de-motivate my dog?

I know it can be frustrating, but having to whoop, hollar, clap and praise all around the ring to get your dog to go is a real pain and not something you would want (I'm guessing b/c you got a BC!). I have an insanely fast dog and I'm not fast, so we are constantly working on our timing together. When we run clean, we win, hands down. The problem is it takes so much longer to train what you have and learn how to handle the speed. The speed is a blessing and a curse! :rolleyes: Just keep working at it and find somewhere to train where the instructors have fast dog experience. Good luck!

I know it can be frustrating, but having to whoop, hollar, clap and praise all around the ring to get your dog to go is a real pain and not something you would want (I'm guessing b/c you got a BC!). I have an insanely fast dog and I'm not fast, so we are constantly working on our timing together. When we run clean, we win, hands down. The problem is it takes so much longer to train what you have and learn how to handle the speed. The speed is a blessing and a curse! :D Just keep working at it and find somewhere to train where the instructors have fast dog experience. Good luck!

A blessing and a curse, for sure!!!

My instructor is always going on about how it's a good thing that I'm young and fit so that I can at least have some hope of keeping up with Kit, although I know darn well that I'll never actually be able to. The one time I tried, I landed flat on my face. I blamed the wet grass, though :rolleyes: Seriously, though, Kit was clocked at 27mph with a radar gun, so I'm just going to have to learn to handle more efficiently.

You have a really good point about finding an instructor who has experience training a fast dog. Our normal instructor doesn't, as far as I can tell, but a good friend of mine does. He helps us out on occasion, and his advice is usually better than what I can get out of the instructor.

Actually, Kit's probably only half BC and I didn't get her with sports in mind. I just wanted a dog with enough drive to play fetch at the park. I got her from a shelter at 7 months, and after a couple of months here, she started showing some real talent (speed, drive, flexibility, jumping ability, intelligence). As people started to notice, I sort of stumbled into the world of dog sports. Last month, we took 1st place in the Sport and Open divisions (novice class) at the NW Regional Skyhoundz championship (playing disc a.k.a frisbee). Agility success is slower, for sure, but we'll get there. Even though I didn't get Kit specifically to play sports, I'm sure glad she does, and I wouldn't diminish the drive at all, even if I could.

Archived