BC Boards

Dog Backpacks

I'm looking for a sturdy, affordable, small pack for Meg. It will be used on walks and day hikes. I mainly want it just to make walks more work and hopefully help her focus less on other things. Once she's used to the pack, she'll likely only carry small 8 oz water bottles, collapsible water dish, treats, cleanup bags, a tennis ball and flexi lead.

Does anyone have this pack:

Wenaha Jogger Sport $50 - http://www.campingdogsupplies.com/wenlightdogbackpack

I like the bottle holders and that the pack detaches from the harness. X-small should be her size. Couldn't find many pictures of dogs wearing this pack, but it looks like it sits nicely over the shoulders.

Not having seen one of these packs in person, I was just wondering if anyone has one or has any opinions before I buy one.

The Wenaha pack looks reeeaally bulky to me, I'd be afraid that it would interfere with shoulder movement. If you're going to spend around $50 I'd get a Granite Gear or Ruffwear Approach pack. I have both and the Granite Gear is a bit more streamlined, but the Ruffwear is a bit more feature heavy (reflective strips all along the zipper, Webmaster base harness with 2 belly straps vs the 1 on the Granite Gear, etc.).

Here's Kes wearing our Granite Gear pack:

odd pic but he's standing

IMG_2021.jpg

laying

IMG_2022.jpg

ETA: pic from the Ruffwear site of the new style Approach. I'm thinking about getting one for Z since it's so hard to find a good small pack for dogs under 30lbs. We have an old style one for Kes - it's a tad big still.

dogview_approach2_Zoom.jpg

I LOVE my wolf pack

http://wolfpacks.com/

I have had it for about 5 years now, its been stomped on, tossed crumpled in conrors, its gone swimming in creeks and scratched through bushes..its never been washed and it still looks like new. I have this one:

http://wolfpacks.com/products/dogpacks/banzai.html

but they make different types for different types of use. I am just thrilled with mine, the $80 I spent on it was worth every penny and more!

Found this pic of the Wenaha sport...

190_mochila_jogger-sport_cp.jpg

It does look too bulky/tall for what I'm looking for for Meg...back to hunting again.

Erin, do you you find that the Granite Gear pack, with only one belly strap, shifts around more?

Meg has a 24" girth which puts her in between the x-small and small for the Approach pack. From what I've read, everything says to go with the smaller size, but I'm not sure if the x-small would be too close for a good fit.

According to the Wolf Packs website, Meg is too small for a correct fit for their packs. She has a 19" waist. Their small starts at a 22" waist.

Happy has a 13" waist and the small fits her just fine lol

IMG_0266.jpg

it has fit Electra since she was a 6 month old pup, and she was only 15" tall.

IMG_4259.jpg

I dont quite understand the "waist" measurment since it fits on 3 of my dogs and it doesnt buckle aroudn any of their waists..it buckles around their ribcage, just a bit farther down.

I own both the Ruff Wear Palisades and Approach packs. I chose that brand because of the superior harness. A comfortable, streamlined, properly fitted harness is key. You don't want it to inhibit movement or cause rubs or sore spots. Some of the packs pictured that are made by other brands look like they don't have enough padding, others like they inhibit movement. JMHO.

Shayna that pack looks HUGE on Electra to me! But of course I'm used to teardrop shaped packs that aren't supposed to hang low at all, so that may have something to do with it, too.

Alison, I actually have been surprised by how little the GG pack shifts - as long as it is balanced it doesn't budge. My oldest dog much prefers the GG pack to the old style RW packs because the GG pack belly strap is actually affixed to the pack body vs affixed to the base harness; the packs do not flop about when she trots. :rolleyes: The GG and RW packs both adjust around the girth *and* over the shoulders for a more custom fit imo than packs with fixed over the shoulder sections.

lol Electra is just short! she is build like she should be bigger but her legs are shorter then they out to be, so it comes out looking slighty goofy! doesnt inhibit her at all though, she jumps on and off things, runs through water and thickets, gallops and wrestles while wearing it all without any trouble at all :rolleyes:

oh and the pack had a heavy load in the pic so it makes it look even bigger, she carries 8lb of weights for 1 20 minute walk a day..she is only 38lbs. you cant tell under all her fur, but she is pretty ripped :D that much weight is just for her "work" walks though, she doesnt carry that for hiking lol

Happy has a 13" waist and the small fits her just fine lol

I dont quite understand the "waist" measurment since it fits on 3 of my dogs and it doesnt buckle aroudn any of their waists..it buckles around their ribcage, just a bit farther down.

According to their fitting guide, the measurement should be taken at the end of the ribcage - but it's still surprising that it would fit your dogs. My mixed breed is 23" there, so a size "small", but at 60lbs and 23.5" tall, she's considerably larger than yours.

Thanks for all the input!

Shayna and Erin - Thanks for sharing the pictures of your dogs in pack! It helps to see them on dogs closer to Meg's size.

Not sure which one we'll go with yet.

If it helps, Kes weighs 36lbs and is 21" at the shoulder - I realized I forgot to list his dimensions in my original post on the topic. :rolleyes:

I have this one made by Kurgo for Bailey. I like it and he doesn't seem to mind it at all. It is smaller than many others, but that was one of the reasons I chose it. It fits water, collapsible bowl, treats, ball and still has a bit of room for more.

Kurgo Pack

I'm really interested in the Ruffwear Approach. Cerb has a 26 inch girth around the chest (22" tall and 51 lbs at 9 months) and I was wondering what size some of the owners would suggest. He could take either the small or the medium. I tend to think the small would be more sleek...but I really don't want him to grow out of it. Will he grow more than 4 inches in girth?

I have a nearly new Ruffwear Palisades II, old style, size S, that I would love to find a new home for. The pack is almost unused, but the harness has seen some wear - there's nothing wrong with it but you can tell it's been on a dog. I looked around the web a bit and found a description of the old style Palisades that even has a video explaining the features: Old style Ruffwear Palisades II Pack

If anyone is interested, they can have it for the cost of shipping and a donation to the border collie rescue of their choice.

(I switched my dogs to Wolfpacks and, many hundreds of backcountry miles later, I'm still happy with that decision.)

I have a nearly new Ruffwear Palisades II, old style, size S, that I would love to find a new home for. The pack is almost unused, but the harness has seen some wear - there's nothing wrong with it but you can tell it's been on a dog. I looked around the web a bit and found a description of the old style Palisades that even has a video explaining the features: Old style Ruffwear Palisades II Pack

If anyone is interested, they can have it for the cost of shipping and a donation to the border collie rescue of their choice.

(I switched my dogs to Wolfpacks and, many hundreds of backcountry miles later, I'm still happy with that decision.)

That sounds great. If no one else has called snag I'll take it. I'll PM you.

Archived