BC Boards

Cherry Eye

bn_here_b4

Over the weekend Jody's left eye became red & swollen on the inner corner and lower lid area. Since it wasn't bothering him and he had an appointment today to go to the vet to be neutered, I waited until we could see the regular vet today. She looked at it while he was sedated and said it is a condition commonly called "Cherry Eye". The tear duct is inflamed and swollen. If left untreated it could become infected, prolapse and have to be removed. She gave us some opthalmic ointment to put in his eye 3X daily. Hopefully the condition will resolve and he won't need surgery.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Do you know what might cause it? Is there anything else I should do for him beyond the medicine the vet gave?

Lastly, your thoughts and prayers for Jody's speedy recovery would be much appreciated. Poor baby is sore at both ends!

Cherrie

I've seen it in a bunch of dogs, but generally in English Bulldogs, American Bulldogs, and overdone Boxers. Breeds that tend to have more "bulgy" eyes anyway. In the dogs I've met with it, they don't seem to really mind it all that much, although it looks awful.

My friend used to have Cockers and she said it was common in her breed. They can fix it surgically

so it will not recur. Maybe it will only happen this one time. I'm sure you can find lots of info on the net.

Good luck.

From what i know, if the ointment does not work surgery is usually the best bet. Although, they usually have 2 methods. one is to tuck the inflamed duct back in and the other is to fully remove the duct. The best method of the two choices is number one, BUT doing the first procedure their is a chance it could pop back out. especially if the pet over exerts himself right after the surgery. I think the first one is better because if you remove the whole duct then you MIGHT deal with dry eye and need to buy expensive eye ointment every month for the rest of his life and can run into problems if the eye is not properly taken care of. But of course i would talk to your vet to decide which way he does it and the benefits of your vets options of repair.

Hope that helps a little....

Archived