BC Boards

You Lucky Dog

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this topic up to see who watched this show over the weekend.

I DVR'd it Saturday night and watched it yesterday.

Ummmm... Yeah.... Hokey?! That's about the best word I could come up with to describe it.

I almost turned it off during the fire scene. Come on, really? "Herd, Lucky, herd!" Funny, I didn't know that teaching your dog to herd automatically turned it into a certified tracking dog.

I wish they would have found an actress who actually liked dogs, because this one didn't seem very comfortable around them. I must say, the dog was cute as a button.

Yes, and the directions were often reversed during the working scenes.

Say some of our local handlers from Ontario...they said the directors didn't really like any of the scenes when the dog and the sheep were completely in control.

Well at least the myth that border colllies are super smart and can do anything will prevail.

Herd Lucky Herd....i'm going to try that the next time I lose my car keys

I happened upon it while I was channel surfing and decided to watch it. Probably one of the most ridiculous movies ever. I laughed out loud at the Herd Lucky Herd scene. :rolleyes: They kept referring to her as a herder. I've actually not heard that term before. I've heard sheepdog, herding dog, working dog, stockdog. It was annoying to say the least to have two people depicted as never having done this before, take an inexperienced dog, declare it a herder, and then supposedly turn it into a search and rescue and trial dog within the span of 2 to 3 months.

I believe that the general public though, may think this is entirely possible. I hope no one goes out and gets a border collie to babysit the kids. :D

I thought that the $25,000 "good faith payment prior to contract" from Pedigree was even funnier. I looked at Secret and said, "You'd better get a job like that, and soon!"

We're in the catalogs for a local animal actor studio and I guarantee that dog jobs don't pay that well. lol

Now I know what is wrong with my dog... I have been using all the wrong language when I am trying to get her to herd. "Herd Belle, Herd".

She's going to look at me like I've lost my mind for sure. :rolleyes:

I, on the other hand, was truly annoyed by this movie as it promoted the sterotypes and irresponsible ownershp that lands so many border collies in rescue, shelters and being abandoned. It also denigrates the time-consuming hard work people put into training their dogs - be it to help with livestock or do search and rescue.

I caugh the last hour or so of this a few weeks ago and I also laughed at the "Herd Lucky Herd". I'd try it on Tiga except that he's still recovering from his surgery. I'll wait until he gets his freedom back and see if he can become a working dog. :rolleyes:

Archived