BC Boards

Camping in two weeks

skiba

This will be the first time I'll be camping with a dog that I'm the primary care giver of. (I'm 17) I've been meaning to read up on what I need to do tick wise and I'd love to hear your reccomendations or warnings. Do I need a tick collar or another type of preventitive? Should I allow Oliver to drink from creeks/lakes without fear of him getting sick?

I live in northern Utah if it helps any.

I would apply Advantix a few days before you go--it's supposed to repel mosquitoes and kill ticks and fleas. If you also want to use a tick collar, try the Preventic collar. You should be able to get both products online. Take a first aid kit for both you and Oliver, and I'd be sure to include a snake bite kit in that, as well as an antihistamine like Benadryl (generic) for bee stings and the like.

J.

You may also want to bring along something to repel biting flies or gnats or other flying pests that may bother your dog's face & ears. There are alot of natural based sprays/cremes that are fairly effective tho you have to re-apply frequently. Some good products are used primarily for horses, but also labeled for dogs.

have fun!

Lori Cunningham

Milton, PA

Hi skiba,

Where are you going to go camping? A lot of what you might need, depends on the location. However, the 'skeeters are just coming out in most of the state, so make sure your dog is on heartworm preventative. We do a lot of camping, but haven't had too much problem with ticks (although I do a skin check every night on both dogs if we are in a wooded area and especially around sagebrush). The only place we've had issue with snakes, is out in the West Desert. Camping with dogs is great fun -- I hope you have a fun.

Regards,

Deb

You may also want to bring along something to repel biting flies or gnats or other flying pests that may bother your dog's face & ears. There are alot of natural based sprays/cremes that are fairly effective tho you have to re-apply frequently. Some good products are used primarily for horses, but also labeled for dogs.

have fun!

Lori Cunningham

Milton, PA

I use Swat (the clear gel instead of the original pink stuff) for biting flies on the ears. I also like Ultrashield fly spray. Both products can be found where horse supplies are sold, but are both labeled for dogs as well.

J.

Hi skiba,

Where are you going to go camping? A lot of what you might need, depends on the location. However, the 'skeeters are just coming out in most of the state, so make sure your dog is on heartworm preventative. We do a lot of camping, but haven't had too much problem with ticks (although I do a skin check every night on both dogs if we are in a wooded area and especially around sagebrush). The only place we've had issue with snakes, is out in the West Desert. Camping with dogs is great fun -- I hope you have a fun.

Regards,

Deb

We'll be about 30 minutes from the Flaming Gorge area. :]

Archived