BC Boards

Walks are not fun...help with reaction to dogs/cats

I live in the city and have two reactive dogs (one much more so than the other). It took several months of training, but they have gotten a lot better. What I did was playing the 'Look at that' game (Control Unleashed) with a clicker and yummy treats. I started off with a gentle leader, then moved to an EZ Walk and now we use regular collars unless I know I am taking them to a stressful environment. Most importantly, I realized there was no way I could train them while they were walked together. So I got into a routine of driving the dogs somewhere and running them together am and then walking them in the city separately in the evening. They definitely fed off each other -- one tenses up a little, the other one sees it and tenses up more... and it escalates quickly. Oh, and very important -- I am much more relaxed myself. Even if they react, I don't panic or feel embarrassed anymore. I just say 'let's go' in a happy voice, turn around and walk away from the situation as quickly as I can. It becomes easier. Good luck! :rolleyes:

P.S. Our dogs rarely react outside of our neighborhood as well. They are fine in the vet's office, in a dog park etc. Its very situational.

Peanut butter, that's genius! The past couple days we've tried walking with treats using freeze dried liver treats and cheese..she gobbles them up so fast its hard to keep her focus on me and not the other dogs. I'll have to get her her own jar of peanut butter tomorrow and see how long we can make that last.

Archived