BC Boards

shadow/light chasing Border Collies needed for study

Tufts is currently working on a study looking for the genes that cause canine compulsive disorder (OCD). They need samples from Border Collies.

Please contact Dr. Niwako Ogata if you have a Border Collie who is interested in lights or shadows at niwako.ogata@tufts.edu or 508-887-4974.

It can be cross posted anywhere. They need lots of dogs for the study.

I hoped more people might see it under the general discussion, but it can go under health and genetics as well.

When they were in the early planning stages they did discuss taking samples from Border Collies who suck body parts, spin and exhibit other OCD behaviors. As far as I know they are collecting samples only from light chasing/obsessed dogs, but you can certainly contact them to find out if other types are ok.

Are they looking for dogs with just obsessive light/shadow chasing or do they also want dogs with other obsessive behaviors (circling and spinning come to mind)?

Same question I had, as I have both ;-) Mike, my non-working Border Collie, who is a shadow chaser and Bill, working dog, who is the come bye king ;-( constantly doing come byes ;-( However it doesn't appear shadow chasing behavior and spinning and or running in a circle constantly, are the same type of OCD (if that makes sense) both dogs look distinctly different when doing 'their thing'. Mike, when chasing shadows is totally focused/obsessed with what he's doing. Bill on the other hand, when doing his come byes, almost has a glazed look on his face, almost as if the running in circles has a calming effect on him. Also it seems to me that spinning might be hereditary? My observation has been that there are a number of spinners in Bills lines...Julie, didn't you mention thinking the same thing in a previous thread? I wonder how that relates to shadow chasers? Unfortunatley I know the cause of Mikes shadow chasing ;-( and it was my fault. I had no idea about the dangers of laser lights, was playing with the cat with it, Mike came in the room, and that's all it took ;-( one time. Wish they would have come with a warning label ;-(

Betty

I wrote to see if they were interested in BCs who chase lights/shadows but not obsessively, as I have two. Mine too started with playing with the laser, but as they don't obsess (were never allowed to) and can be called off of it, I let them do it.

Well Mike was really bad for a while, and I found the best way to get him to stop, was to gently admonish him, with a 'knock it off', then try and redirect him onto something else. He only does it sporadically now, and it's not quite the issue it was early on. Of course now his newest obsession is chasing the barn swallows around the pasture :rolleyes: ding dang dogs ;-)

Raven had an issue with the big bumble bees or maybe wood wasps. BUt I think it was brought on cause she got stung and she associated the bug with the sting so she was obsessing with fear of being stung.

It was a bummer, she'd be working or setting sheep, see a big bug and almost freak out to the point of not being able to work.

Although I don't think this is what they are looking to study.

I just met a young dog (15 months old) that was doing it. He was in a crate actually making the shadows for himself to chase. I don't think the owners were really taking it as serious as I saw it.

I also think if I sent them a link to the study they'd be insulted.

• 2 weeks later...

They are now looking for dogs for their control group as well... meaning dogs that do not exhibit OCD behaviors. You will just have to fill out a questionnaire and have your vet draw some blood (Tufts pays for all expenses). My Murf is a volunteer, it's so important that this type of research is carried out!

Too bad they don't want dogs that obsess on tires or anything that we carry. I have one of those. I hope that they can find plenty of dogs for their study.

Kathy

Harlow is obsessed with Shadows. If I can keep her busy she won't notice. But she's SUPER people friendly and one of the things she does when meeting someone is look down and chase her shadow. When I get home from work she gets super excited but then looks down and paws at the ground at her shadow :rolleyes: I should definitely call

Archived