BC Boards

Getting him to leave the splint alone

I'm watching a 14 week old smooth coat sheltie puppy here and he has 2 small stable fx of the right front leg. (caught it in the baby gate). So it's been 24 hrs and he's starting to attempt remodeling of it. I know that the no chew vet wrap is a joke as is most bitter apple items. I guess I could do a collar if it really becomes an issue but, hey any other creative thoughts would be helpful He still has 13 days of this.

I don't have any better suggestion than a collar, and perhaps an over-sized one as it is a front leg.

Poor baby, hope he heals well and soon!

Hot sauce?

When my boy Riley was in foster care (with a severely mangled front foot), his foster home put hot sauce on his sock to keep him from chewing the sock and bandage off. Worked like a charm. I've also had success with cayenne pepper.

ETA: If you don't like the plastic collars, try one of these...

http://pawhauspetboutique.com/catalog.php?item=250

The company does have a website you can order directly from somewhere....

I love mine!!! Riley has to wear it at night because his foot is painful sometimes still and he'll lick it till the cows come home. It's like his safety blanket!

Just put the Bite-Not or e-collar on him. Two weeks of the collar is infinitely preferable to him chewing off his cast and his leg setting incorrectly.

Tweed's been be-coned now for 3 full weeks so he wouldn't eat his cast and then wouldn't lick his foot. The backs of my knees are all bruised up from the thing, but whatever.

RDM

Hot sauce?

When my boy Riley was in foster care (with a severely mangled front foot), his foster home put hot sauce on his sock to keep him from chewing the sock and bandage off. Worked like a charm. I've also had success with cayenne pepper.

I've heard of people using various forms of chili with success, but I seem always to get asbestos mouthed dogs who don't even notice. I'd go for the cone, myself.

Ask your vet for some cayenne pepper strips. They work great...be prepared though they are strong and will make you sneeze. They are by prescription only so the vet will have to give them to you. But I have a dog who was in a splint/cast for 6 weeks and then a brace for 4 weeks and now a soft cast for I don't even know how many weeks. Those strips have been a lifesaver!!

Archived