BC Boards

Potential new family member..

Everyone, meet Leo.

leo2.jpgleo1.jpg

He's a 13 month old male border mix(?) that was picked up by Animal Services. They're having issues with Parvo at the pound right now, and Leo unfortunately contracted it. He's been at the vet clinic where my sister works for the past week getting treated with antibiotics and on IV fluids. He hasn't been eating and has lost so much weight that you can feel almost every bone in his body. His records are on file at the pound, and he was born April 10, 2009. His owners had him neutered, fully vaccinated, on heartworm prevention.. everything, but gave him away May 5 of this year. He was picked up on the 12th, and when his owners were contacted, they told Animal Services that "he wasn't their problem" :rolleyes:

I had been thinking about getting another dog for a while, and was looking for a cattle dog, but I went to meet Leo at the clinic when my sister told me about him. From the couple of times I met him, I just felt there was something about him. Gypsy is my Heart Dog, and he looks and acts SO much like her it kind of creeped me out a little! Instead of staying at the clinic over the weekend and costing both the pound and the clinic more, I told my sister I would take him over the long weekend. He still had diarrhea and is pretty week, so he'll probably live in my bathtub for the weekend, but I think he'll be happier than staying at the clinic alone. I'm going to get a bunch of blankets from a thrift store to make him more comfortable, and then pick him up later today.

I tried emailing the adoption coordinator at the pound, but she is out of the office until Tuesday. I guess I'll have to wait till then to talk to someone, but I'll update as soon as I hear anything :D

What a beautiful boy. My thoughts and hopes go out to Leo as the both of you battle Parvo. Too many things in this world are chalked down to "not our problem". I'm glad to see someone rise above that...and bring Leo with them.

Pip and Leo could have a "white dog reunion"!

I hope it works out well for both of you. He's got quite an intense look about his face - I think you'll be in for a good time with him.

Very best wishes!

Thanks for all the good thoughts - I think they've helped, since he seems much better than when he was at the clinic. I brought him home a few hours ago, and decided to call him Trevor instead of Leo. I always like re-naming my pets when I adopt them, since I think they should get a completely fresh start. And he wasn't really a "Leo" anyways.. Trevor just kind of fits him!

He's alert and begging for chicken, although he is still turning his nose up at the kibble I've offered him.. Definitely a smart dog :rolleyes: He seems to be fully housetrained. I put him in the tub when I got home and went back to the car to bring in his meds.. He had diarrhea all over the bathroom by the time I got in. :D But I set up a rope in the back yard so he will be separate from Korby and Gypsy (they're vaccinated against Parvo, but I'd rather not have them come into contact with his diarrhea). And I've let him out about every hour since then, and he has been going outside consistently.

I think he's either a purebred BC or part cattle dog, his records at the clinic have him listed as a mini American Eskimo mix, but there's no way he is. I'll take some pictures and post them later.

What a nice looking fellow...thanks so much for taking him in and making a big difference in his life :rolleyes: I'm sure with all your loving attention, he will beat the parvo soon!

So alert, at the ready, and eager to please! The look in those eyes! And that expression! I think he's going to be a grateful, good dog. Not to mention handsome. I'm not showing his pic to Vala; she might develop a crush. :rolleyes:

He's doing a lot better now! Last night he had his first semi-solid poop, since he hadn't eaten anything in a week. Now that he's here his appetite has picked up and he's eating chicken, boiled ground beef, noodles, and some wet dog food. I'm going to start mixing it with dry food soon, but he was taking so many pills that I needed something appetizing to hide them in. I gave him a bath yesterday, which he was very good for. And today I let him in the front yard to play with Gypsy and Korby - he tried bugging Gypsy but she put him in his place right away. Korby and him had a blast rolling around and wrestling - they're definitely going to be buddies! I'm still keeping him in the bathroom at night, even though he hasn't had any accidents (other than the first day) I'd rather be safe than sorry :rolleyes: OH! And I talked to the adoption coordinator! I just have to go to the pound and sign the paperwork and he's officially part of our family!!

I promised some more pictures, so here's a few I snapped on his first night home. He got his bandana from the clinic. None of these show just how skinny he is.. He has a ton of fur that hides his hipbones and ribs :D

Trevor035.jpg

Peering into the neighbour's yard after he heard them moving around

Trevor033.jpg

Trevor016.jpg

Trevor022.jpg

Blurry, but it shows how pointy he is :D

Trevor011.jpg

Trevor004.jpg

And finally, enjoying his chicken & noodles!

Trevor005.jpg

Kudos for doing your part with rescue!!!!!!! He is quite handsome, and I almost wonder about whippet in there. Only by the pasta photo does he look anything other than pure bred. Who cares though, he is a beauty!

Thanks again for all the comments! He's feeling 110% better than when I first got him! His poops are actually solid now, and he's eating dry food and asking for more. Korby loves him and Gypsy ignores him for the most part, but runs around with him when they really get going in the yard. On Tuesday I went to the pound and officially adopted him! :rolleyes: I'm in looooove with his personality, he's obviously had some training but his manners need a bit of work, but with his brains and willingness it'll be a piece of cake. Whoever didn't want him sure missed out on an awesome dog!

I just posted some new pictures of him in the Border Collie Gallery, so anyone who wants to see more pictures of him feel free to check it out! http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=28596

Archived