BC Boards

What to do, what to do??

I miss my Jazz....every day and at the most inopportune times, I tear up again. Like now..... :rolleyes:

I send his breeder a note letting her know that he was gone. This morning, along with her condolences, she told me she has a 10 month old male R&W purebred BC (CBCA registered) available. He's been started on goats, was in the house but now is in the kennels.

I just don't know what to do.... would this pup be right for me? She is actually coming this way today - and said she would bring him....

What would you do?

I miss my Jazz....every day and at the most inopportune times, I tear up again. Like now..... :rolleyes:

I send his breeder a note letting her know that he was gone. This morning, along with her condolences, she told me she has a 10 month old male R&W purebred BC (CBCA registered) available. He's been started on goats, was in the house but now is in the kennels.

I just don't know what to do.... would this pup be right for me? She is actually coming this way today - and said she would bring him....

What would you do?

Go for it!

I agree. I'd say just meet him, with no expectations at all, and see how you feel. It's not like he doesn't have a place to go...so if it doesn't feel right, don't feel bad about passing. You'll know if it's too soon or not.

Please meet him.

Depending on what you believe but I know, my guys are happy that I have others to fill the holes they left.

Even though, at times I feel that they are looking down on me, laughing when they see all the new stuff I have to deal with. All the while telling me "we told you...we were the best....much more well behaved, smarter and all over better than those youngsters"!

And although I miss my old gang, so many times I am reminded of things they did that made me smile (or at times not!) by my new guys.

So please meet him.

I agree with everyone who has said let her bring him by and meet him and see if he "speaks" to you or not. If not, don't force it by taking him. The right one will come along. This may be the dog, and it may not be, but you won't know till you meet him!

J.

The breeder was passing by my neck of the woods on her way to another city with some other dogs. He would have been a 'tag along'. So, I opted not to have her bring him. That being said, I think Jo (Jo&Tex) will be coming on a road trip to see him after May 31st. He sparked an interest from her as well.....so who knows what may happen. :rolleyes:

Here's what I've done in these situations. Meet the dog. Sleep on it -- no, seriously --- I don't make such decisions until I've slept on it and the morning brings my answer. With Pete, thing is, I couldn't sleep after I met him, and that was my answer. There was an electricity from the time I first met him.

You'll know. You'll just know.

Isn't it fascinating how dogs pick you and not the other way round.

All of my dogs picked me.

Lucy came home with me. Now, she didn't have much choice, I was much larger than she, and I picked her up and put her in the car. Nevertheless, she was not afraid at all, sat in the front seat like she owned the car, let me pet her and scratch her (as was her due...), and basically acted (first day) like this whole thing was meant to be. Lucy lives with me by her choice. If she wanted out, she'd dig out and be gone and I'd never see her again. She literally chooses not to do so.

I looked at several dogs as companions for Lucy. None seemed right.

Ethel had lived with her family a year. When I arrived, she was having a bath. She looked at me and literally said, "Oh thank God, where have you BEEN?" She walked out with me without a backwards glance at the family with whom she'd lived the first year of her life, got in my van, and off we went. She hasn't left my side since. She and Lucy smelled each other, said, "Ok", and now are inseparable.

Bessie, I rescued, but as Eileen points out, she knows she is "home". Who am I to argue?

All that to say: if it's right, you and the dog will know it. No need to force it.

Kris, we're overdue for a roadtrip. Lets go and look at this pup.

You did say that you were thinking of getting a started dog. This youngster has experienced some goats. You and your Jazz did things together that none of your other dogs could do, like going to dog camp and going to work with you.

Maybe, just maybe, having a young project dog to train and take to trials is where you are meant to be right now. Jazz taught you how much fun it was to just go away together for a weekend and play. Dont let that slip away...

And....The pup is a red and white and I will be green and drooly with envy if you get him.

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of serious thought, I have decided I'm not ready to bring another dog into my house. So, I'm not going to meet this pup. He sounds really nice and I really hope he gets a home that will be appropriate for him. It isn't just my heart missing Jazz - I have Zachary having health issues, we are in the middle of a huge renovation, work is totally insane and I don't think I have the energy that I would want to have to train a pup.

There is a small part of me that thinks I should just do it...but the sensible part of me says - Not yet. It is possible that I might regret this decision....I guess I'll never really know. In the meantime, I'll be content with the dogs I have at home now. They still miss Jazz too.

My sheltie Jake passed away 2.25 years ago. I still miss him terrible, it just doesn't go away. I do remember with a smile some of the funny things he did or how much he trusted me. Cody and now Grace are new dogs and different dogs. They are no Jake - but each is very special to me in their own way. You will never replace Jazz, you will just bless another dog with your unlimited love and that animal will be very lucky indeed. Good luck with the renovations - my theory, it always takes 3x the time, 3x the money and 3x the patience.

Archived