BC Boards

Agility and Health...

Question guys....

I have never participated in Agility. I have watched it at shows, but I really don't know much about it. I racently learned of some classes in my area. They have a superb indoor facility. I'm interested in going to some beginner classes and seeing if Casper or I like it.

My dilemma is this.....

He is 9yrs old. He does not look or act his age and he has no health problems, no stiffness, etc and has never been injured. As you all know, he is obedience trained and has been on stock so he is a well trained dog. Do you think he is too old to start running agility?

Also, I'd like to get the new up into it as well. What age do you guys usually start pups on the courses and such?

Any opinions, concerns, etc?? Please post your input.

I compete with my 9 year old. I do jump her 4 inches lower than her measured height, and I don't run her into the ground. But she does just fine going to a weekly class and competitions every month or so. She doesn't show any signs of slowing down any time soon.

I don't see any reason not to give it a try if your dog is healthy. I'd just take things slow and move at the dog's pace.

Good on you for trying something new! Agility is so much fun when you have a great class and instructor. There is a lady at my club that just started competing and mentioned her dog is about 8 yrs old. I was blown away he looked so young and was doing a fantastic job. I am teaching my newest baby who is about 7,8 or 9 (no one knows) all the foundation and has just started learning the tyre jump as she is very clingy and it will help her build some distance from me.

Puppies aren't allowed to do any obstacles till they are over a year old and not allowed to compete until they are 18 months. So at your puppys age go ahead you have nothing to lose.

Definately give agility a go most venues allow an older dog to jump a lower height for example USDAA offers both Championship and Performance levels the dogs in each division run the same course but the Performance dogs jump at one height lower than they would in champioship ie my 1st bc jumped 26 inches in championship and 22 inches in perfomance. They also get a 3 second time allowance over championship. My 1st partner Ashe was in competition until 13.5 years old and loved every minute of it.

As others have said, there is no reason why your senior dog can't get started in agility. I know of dogs that are 14 & 15 years old who are still competing, so in that sense your dog has many years ahead of him!

Definitely take advantage of veteran heights -- agility is not about how high you can get your dog to jump, but of the communication between the two of you.

Shop around for organizations with dog-friendly jump heights. USDAA is a great organization, but many people end up dropping out of it with their senior dogs because their jump heights are so much higher than the others. The absolute lowest my big guy (and Secret, when she starts) could jump is 22", which I will not subject him to. When he turns 7 in January, he would actually be able to jump as low as 12" in NADAC. I could run him at 16" in CPE and ASCA.

NADAC is also great for senior dogs because they offer several classes with no jumping at all and even a couple with no contacts. It is no surprise we see dogs of such advanced ages continuing to play in NADAC as long as they do.

Most beginner agility classes are limited to dogs of one year of age and older due to the stress they put on the body. Some schools, however, offer foundation classes designed especially for growing puppies and these classes focus on ground work and other skills that will come in handy in your future agility dog.

As long as your dog is physically healthy a late start in life is great!!! I have a rescue that is 12 years old - finally got all his excess weight off of him, and I am going to teach him the jumps and tunnels so he can do Jumpers. As a vet in AAC he can jump 10" as a double drop from 22, so that is where he is going to start and I will just let him play in jumpers.

As others have said, there is no reason why your senior dog can't get started in agility. I know of dogs that are 14 & 15 years old who are still competing, so in that sense your dog has many years ahead of him!

Definitely take advantage of veteran heights -- agility is not about how high you can get your dog to jump, but of the communication between the two of you.

Shop around for organizations with dog-friendly jump heights. USDAA is a great organization, but many people end up dropping out of it with their senior dogs because their jump heights are so much higher than the others. The absolute lowest my big guy (and Secret, when she starts) could jump is 22", which I will not subject him to. When he turns 7 in January, he would actually be able to jump as low as 12" in NADAC. I could run him at 16" in CPE and ASCA.

NADAC is also great for senior dogs because they offer several classes with no jumping at all and even a couple with no contacts. It is no surprise we see dogs of such advanced ages continuing to play in NADAC as long as they do.

Most beginner agility classes are limited to dogs of one year of age and older due to the stress they put on the body. Some schools, however, offer foundation classes designed especially for growing puppies and these classes focus on ground work and other skills that will come in handy in your future agility dog.

Unfortunatly, there is only one USDAA club near me... all the others are 5hrs + ...I don't have much to choose from lol There are no CPE or NADAC clubs in PA

Unfortunatly, there is only one USDAA club near me... all the others are 5hrs + ...I don't have much to choose from lol There are no CPE or NADAC clubs in PA

Which part of PA are you in?

Archived