BC Boards

Owd Bob had a seizure last night

Sea was in the same room with him and came flying out of there into the bedroom where I was at the time and hid in the closet. When I went out I noticed Bob lying on his side, stiffened, his jaw trembling, unable to get up.

Bob was "off" yesterday morning before I left for work and didn 't finish all of his food. He was not up on his feet to greet me when I got home, but instead was lying with his chin propped on a crate. He eventually got up and was moving slow, slow even for Bob.

Within the hour he had a seizure. This morning I found him in another room, under the dining room table. He is totally listless, no interest in getting fed and he's losing urine. There's a constant trickle of it coming out from under him.

I love Owd Bob, but I think I'll be calling the vet to take him in this week, maybe even tomorrow. For the time he was with me, I think he's been happy --- and for someone who thought "WTH" when I first saw him, I must say, Owd Bob claimed a part of my heart forever. I took pics of him lying in the first warm sun after winter broke. He was the picture of contentment.

One thing for sure, when you share your life with a dog, you're setting yourself up for heartbreak with each one who touches your life.

One thing for sure, when you share your life with a dog, you're setting yourself up for heartbreak with each one who touches your life.

I think this says it all, Vicki. Owd Bob is lucky that he found his way to you, and I wish you both peace in whatever this week brings.

Owd Bob is one lucky fellow to have you in his life. My heart goes out to you....I know how much love and heartache a dog brings. Give Owd Bob a scruffle for me and hugs to you..

I'm so sorry, Vicki. As everyone says, Bob is a lucky dog to have come to you for his final months. You've given him a fantastic opportunity to just be an old dog and be loved.

They do break our hearts, but then, they are responsible for much of our healing as well.

Ruth

When my time comes I hope I have someone as speical as Vicki to make me feel as loved and special as she did Owd Bob. He will be able to go knowing he was loved.

Thanks for all you do Vicki.

Thanks guys. Owd Bob died in my arms shortly before 10 this a.m. We were at the vet's and the last words he heard was how much he was loved, what a good dog he is and my last command to him -- to run free, and I was the last thing he saw before death closed those old dog eyes of his.

It's not supposed to be this way. Only a year together, an old and ugly dog with a beautiful heart and honest soul, and I can't stop crying. How can a dog like that tear someone up so bad as I am now.

Rest in Peace Owd Bob. Good dog.

Vicki, you are truly a kind and generous soul for what you do and for what you did for Owd Bob.

My heart aches and I tear up everytime I read something like this on the boards.

May you find peace in knowing that he too will be waiting for you at the bridge.

the last words he heard was how much he was loved, what a good dog he is and an my last command to him -- to run free, and I was the last thing he saw before death closed those old dog eyes of his.

Hard as it was on you, you made it easy for him. You gave him the best possible departure, and I hope some comfort comes to you from knowing that.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, it is not easy losing a friend no matter how long they have been around. We only had Muzzy for 4 months before he passed and I still cry to this day when I think of him.

RIP Owd Bob you were Loved

Vicki Bless you.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close -- we two -- these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Dixie's Prayer for the Rescuer

Dixie20407022.jpg

They search the highways and shelters for those of us in need.

Whether lost or abandoned they seek us out.

They strive to give us hope where there was fear and despair, to make us well where there was disease and injury, and to love us when all we felt was loneliness and rejection.

They open their hearts and homes to us.

Even among these special people there are those who go the extra mile.

They accept the ones who are ill, maimed or old.

They care for the sick, the invalid or the abused.

They can not save us all but even those that pass on will have known the touch of kindness, the blanket of care and the warmth of love.

Thank You Lord for the Rescuer.

Dixie Belle

"Only a year" can be a long time - you gave Owd Bob the gift of a year of being loved and well treated, and to leave this world in the warm arms of someone who cared. I'm sorry for your loss but grateful you gave him that year.

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a heart wrenching decision to have to make. (And I'm not wearing my waterproof mascara today...) :rolleyes: He must have been a special dog and you're a special person to have recognized it. Thoughts and prayers being sent your way from Ohio.

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you. We love them so much, they touch our lives so deeply and in ways which are hard to describe. Each and every one of them is so special.

Bob, rest in peace, you were so well loved.

Owd Bob has lots of good company at the bridge right now.... I remember the pictures you posted of him..he was the grand old man and you gave your heart to him...so lucky for him and so painful for you right now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking Owd Bob into your life...You are a special person who gave Bob a wonderful year of love. {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

Author Unknown

"They will not go quietly,

the dogs who've shared our lives.

In subtle ways they let us know

their spirit still survives.

Old habits still make us think

we hear a barking at the door.

Or step back when we drop

a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the place

the food dish used to be,

And, sometimes, coming home at night,

we miss them terribly.

And although time may bring new friends

and a new food dish to fill,

That one place in our hearts belongs to them...

and always will."

Archived