BC Boards

Zippers in the vet :( i hope he gets to come home today

Oh no....I'm glad you have Zipper home with you. I'm sure he is much happier there. I hope you can get another opinion...just in case the vet isn't right. It does happen....... In the meantime hugs for you and for Zipper.

Poor Zipper. At least he's home with you.

Just curious, what are the medications they have him on?

My friend's aussie has episodes of cluster seizures. After the last batch she wasn't right for about 5 days - just acting really odd. She did snap out of it and is back to normal - but still has clusters of seizures about every 3-4 weeks. She's on 2 drugs - phenobarbitol and potassium bromide. Apparently there is another human drug you can add as well but I'm not sure what the name of it is. Another thing some vet will do is let the owner of an epileptic dog have some valium at home so if they seizure at home, the owner can give the valium rectally to try and stop the seizures.

Very sorry to hear about poor Zipper's health problems. It's hard to watch the ones you love suffer. I had a dog that developed a seizure problem in his later years and we were very fortunate that the drugs were able to help. As others have mentioned, if you can afford it a second opinion might not be a bad idea. A combination of anti-seizure medication often works better than just one med (are you using Phenobarbitol?).

Wishing you good luck and well wishes.

Very sorry to hear the bad news. The good news that he's home is great! I do agree that seeking a second opinion would be a good idea. Sometimes a different vet can have other ideas that may help.

We are all thinking of you two and wishing the best!

sorry that i havnt been on in a day or so, been with zipper. so he is doing alot better, he can walk but is wably(sp) but each day its better. he can run for a few seconds then has to stop. he pooped outside Today, hasnt happened since the day b4 the vet. He is on phenobarb and potassium bromide, the Phenobar is the highest does and he takes both 2 times a day. I have valium but it does not work on him, they give me a couple but they have never worked on him. Ill have to call around and see if there is anyone around that can give me a second opinion. theres only 1 more vet in town ill have to call and see what they say, I take Zipper to the best vet in town, but ill have to see if any place around my town has a good vet also, They told me his next one could kill him and if he has anymore then it would be best for him to put him down, I just dont know what to do right now, i dont want him to suffer if he has another one, i want to remember his last day as fun and all not with a seizure. I could use alot of help with what would be best and what would be best for zipper. He helped me mow today and have 4 green paws :rolleyes: ill be taking pictures these next couple days and ill have to show you how he is doing :D

Best wishes and prayers headed to both Zipper and you. I'm sure he will be with you for quite a while. He's lucky to have an owner like you. Keep me updated.

We can only control how we live, not how we die. My suggestion is that you live each day with Zipper, and cherish it to the fullest. If he is to have a seizure, and you must make the decision, then you must be strong. Perhaps contact your vet for contact information, so that if he goes into a major seizure, maybe you can have on hand, a very strong sedative. I am so sorry, but live today like it's the first day, not the last day of his life.

just got back from the vet, he was shocked how great zipper was going, he said in a month we will test his levels again and see if they are where they should.

Zipper is pretty much himself again, still has a little balance prob but each day its better and better, running alot more and playing alot more. he is starting to remember all his tricks again and getting those down and being zipper, its great. now i need to get the stinker a job to help pay his bill off, the vets jaw dropped when he saw zipper and mine dropped when i saw the bill lol :rolleyes:

The wobbliness could be ataxia from the pheno - it often takes a few weeks for the levels to stabilize. Oreo was always a bit wobbly for the first 3 weeks or so after a med change.

You may want to look into giving him milk thistle to protect his liver since he's on such high doses of pheno.

Archived