BC Boards

Please recommend a lead for agility

We're just getting started in agility (doing plenty of disc dogging, though!), and I'd like a lead that I can use for both sports. I've heard good things about Mendota brand, and someone showed me a lead that could also be used for tugging. Or what about martingales? I'd like something fairly short that Kit can't wiggle out of, because she sort of has an obsession with meeting people, and it's worse when she's already wound up (like after running a course). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. What do you use?

I use slip leads. Cressa lastest leash is from Kollars by Kathryn: http://www.kollarsbykathryn.com/index.html. Little pricy

Her old slip lead was made by a person who made horse halters i think maybe $10 for it. Troy slip lead is also that ropey material was free trainer gave it to me but it normally runs about $10-15. LOVE the slip leads.

ETA: Cressa is a tugger. I think slip leads are a little safer then a leash with a metal clip when they tug.

I was going to say that I have a leash to recommend, but that it's only available from a local supplier -- But I just checked and they finally put it on their web site!

http://stores.bestforpetsonline.com/-strse...shes/Detail.bok

These leashes are the hottest item in my area. They are made just for this dealer by a local woman. I love them because they are super soft on your hands and around the dog's neck, but they are also very strong and durable for tugging. I can't recommend them enough!

I definitely require a martingale style slip lead. I don't like traditional slip leads because if you have a high drive dog that pulls, they'll get choked.

I don't like traditional slip leads because if you have a high drive dog that pulls, they'll get choked.

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm worried about. I have yet to meet a dog with more drive than Kit.

Those look like very nice leads. Maybe I'll call their customer service tomorrow to see what they have available.

I just use a cotton clothes line cut to 6 ft and a double ended hook, so much for the fashion statement we make! If i use anything heavier it slows dew's brain down from what we're working on, cause she's concerned with a dragging heavy lead or pulling which is not allowed.

I would think leash pulling is a training thing that needs to be addressed for agility training anyways. It was one of the first things we worked on for our first agility lesson. Dew and I don't need work of that but everyone else did.

I train the leash pulling thing when they are puppies. A combo of a light jerk correction on the lead and the not moving till the leash is slack has worked for us, untill sheep then it's off lead training which transfers to on lead too.

And I'm sure Dew's drive is = to any dog around. It's what we determine to be acceptable or unacceptable behavior right from the start. Drive doesn't mean you can excuse pulling it just means you might have to work harder to get the pulling undercontrol but I swear it can be done!

For Agility I use a martingale collar set so it can't choke. The main reason I like them is the easy-on/easy-off factor. I run my dogs collarless in class since they have to run collarless in competition anyway.

For a leash I use my regular old 6 foot lupines.

I use a Mendota martingale combo lead for Ziva and I just ordered Kes a martingale combo lead (with a side clip on the collar part) from one of my favorite suppliers: Bebop USA. When Maggie was competing she wore either a regular flat collar with side clip or a martingale and a regular leash - you really don't *need* any special type of leash unless you want one. I've seen some competitors using the Easy Walk harnesses to help with pulling and they have the added bonus of going on and off easily, too.

The Furry Fleece Martingale slip lead is fantastic. I just got 2 from Clean Run. They are nylon webbing handle and slip collar with a soft fleecy and fluffy lead part. Its like a tug toy but a decent length.

I agree that leash pulling should first be addressed as a training issue (wouldn't it be great to have a dog that doesn't pull, pays attention, heels regardless of distractions, etc.) Needless to say, my dog is not like that - although he is getting better. Having said that, leashes are part of my dog's 'wardrobe' so it is nice to be able to have different functions (slip, clip, martingales, tracking, etc.) and different colors and materials.

AKC agility competitions require entering and leaving the ring on a leash so you need some kind of leash. I think it is just a matter of what you like and what works well for your dog. I usually use a slip lead.

When looking for leads, I have found that every so often I find a leash vendor at an agility trial - and it is special when I find one that makes custom leads. I just bought a braided 5-foot slip lead in the colors of my choice at an agility trial a month ago. A friend just found another vendor making cool custom leads at an agility trial in MD. So don't forget to check out the vendors at the agility trials!!

Jovi

I just use a cotton clothes line cut to 6 ft and a double ended hook, so much for the fashion statement we make! If i use anything heavier it slows dew's brain down from what we're working on, cause she's concerned with a dragging heavy lead or pulling which is not allowed.

I would think leash pulling is a training thing that needs to be addressed for agility training anyways. It was one of the first things we worked on for our first agility lesson. Dew and I don't need work of that but everyone else did.

I train the leash pulling thing when they are puppies. A combo of a light jerk correction on the lead and the not moving till the leash is slack has worked for us, untill sheep then it's off lead training which transfers to on lead too.

And I'm sure Dew's drive is = to any dog around. It's what we determine to be acceptable or unacceptable behavior right from the start. Drive doesn't mean you can excuse pulling it just means you might have to work harder to get the pulling undercontrol but I swear it can be done!

Thanks for all of the recommendations, everyone!

I was going to say that I have a leash to recommend, but that it's only available from a local supplier -- But I just checked and they finally put it on their web site!

http://stores.bestforpetsonline.com/-strse...shes/Detail.bok

These leashes are the hottest item in my area. They are made just for this dealer by a local woman. I love them because they are super soft on your hands and around the dog's neck, but they are also very strong and durable for tugging. I can't recommend them enough!

I definitely require a martingale style slip lead. I don't like traditional slip leads because if you have a high drive dog that pulls, they'll get choked.

I ended up getting one of these. It arrived yesterday and so far I like it a lot. Nice length, seems pretty durable, very comfortable to hold. My only complaint is that the company charged me $6 for shipping, and the box said $2.40 on it.

To clarify what I said about pulling, Kit is easily able to walk with a loose leash under normal circumstances (although that took quite a bit of training). However, she has a slight obsession with meeting people, and especially people that she knows, like the agility folks in our area. Try as I might, curbing her enthusiasm seems pretty impossible. As these folks are likely to have their dogs near them during trials or class, it would be rude of me to let Kit approach, so a short lead that won't choke my dog is a must. Normally I just use a flat collar (lupine) and 6' leash.

I'm glad you like the leash! I always buy from them when I see them at local trials, so I couldn't tell you anything about their shipping process. That said, it doesn't sound out of line from what Clean Run and the like charge for shipping.

And I'm with you on the pulling -- My dogs are excellent walkers, but agility trials are "high" events filled with people/friends who give them treats. lol I rev my dogs up before going in the ring and if they want to pull me to the line, I let them.

I rev my dogs up before going in the ring and if they want to pull me to the line, I let them.

That's funny - I'm the same way. That's one of the few contexts where I actually like it when the dog pulls!

After all of Dean's anxiety problems, when he started actually pulling me to the door to go into the training building that he had been a nervous wreck in not long before, I was like "WooooooooooHoooooooooo!!!" I still love it when he does that!

For the record, yes, I can cue him to walk nicely and he will. But I actually don't want him to. I want him to choose to get in there with enthusiasm!

Archived