BC Boards

How far is "far" and how do you get there?

I have a huge amount of respect for Mr. McCaig, but I'm a little shocked to see so many people bragging about burning massive amounts of fossil fuel in the service of their hobby. In this day and age, it seems (to me) only prudent to seek entertainment a little closer to home.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This country is small, distances don't seem an issue when compared to the USA. However, traffic is jammed 24/7 here and when I convert gallons to litres and euro's to US dollars, we pay almost $8 per gallon. I have to keep travelling to a minimum.

I have a huge amount of respect for Mr. McCaig, but I'm a little shocked to see so many people bragging about burning massive amounts of fossil fuel in the service of their hobby. In this day and age, it seems (to me) only prudent to seek entertainment a little closer to home.

Some folks certainly do "burn massive amounts of fossil fuel in the service of their hobby". But some folks give up a great deal perhaps in order to use their miles - I know we do. We don't make a trip that doesn't need to be made. We commute to work together. We don't take vacations (we do visit family). We don't "go places". We combine trips whenever possible. We are very conservative about our use of fuel oil at home. We don't have a larger vehicle like a farm truck or SUV - we both drive 25 mpg Subarus (need that AWD in WV in winter), and use one of them with a pull-along trailer for our "farm vehicle".

And, for some of us training our dogs, it isn't entertainment - it's part of making a living and/or an endeavor that helps provide food for the American public. I say "and/or" because many are very lucky to break even on their livestock enterprise.

But, you do make a thoughtful point. I do guilt very well, and I often feel selfish when I am driving to a clinic, training, or (particularly, since it's such an optional thing for me, even if I'm a volunteer) a trial. As Julie says, there are many things I choose to do without so I can do what I can with my dogs.

Dear Doggers,

Ms. Alaska writes: "I'm a little shocked to see so many people bragging about burning massive amounts of fossil fuel in the service of their hobby."

I suppose its an offshoot of protestant "every man reads his own Bible" thinking but we Americans often confuse personal morality with political action/decisions. This is helpful to the powers that be. Hence: "recycle your trash" instead of bottle bills and, as in Germany, recyclable appliances taxed in advance. In the dog world we have "the responsible breeder" i.e. registries don't have to do anything about their policies, they instead chide the everyday breeder to improve his/her morals.

This strategy is an excellent way to not get things done, reinforce the present power structure and allow some virtuous folks to chide the less virtuous - a pleasant if irritating pastime.

I am willing to vote for and donate to politicians who support legislation providing for more public transportation - if I can load my dogs on those trains and buses. I encourage and support more local trials. These are my political acts. decisions made about our sheepdog commons.

But until my fellow citizens move politically to reduce energy consumption while preserving - if less conveniently - our mobility, my dogs and I will keep on down the road in my 20 year old station wagon 21 mpg at five mph over the speed limit.

Donald McCaig

The trials we compete at are typically within 6hrs from home. There are a few we have attended that are 8+ hrs from home like the Bluegrass and the Finals.

To offset the 7-9mpg towing a trailer about 20 times a year to trials my commuter car (80 miles a day) gets 43mpg.

Seems to me that people who scrimp, save a sacrifice to pursue a goal or enjoy a hobby are probably already conserving in many more ways than the average person. Maybe we should look at the whole picture instead of judging a person by the one area where they do splurge in life.

It IS expensive to train (at other's places) and trial dogs. Gas is now well into the $3.00 range for me, and for me to work dogs, it takes about a half tank of gas on that trip alone, and sometimes more. Add tolls, add wear and tear on the car, and other inherent expenses (cost of lessons, etc), you really need to think if this is something worth continuing.

Mark, it's great that your car gets such great mileage, but still, driving 80 miles a day? WOW. Do you drive a Prius? I looked at them, but there is no way I can afford to buy one. See, that's the problem. People espouse how they save money on things like better gas mileage cars, and working their dogs at home, so no travel, but that all costs a lot of money. What about those of us who aren't fortunate enough to make an above decent wage, who enjoy trialing as much as those who do? I didn't even mention trial costs, but they are quickly getting out of my reach. I believe you will start to see, if you don't already, a change in who trials from a broad group of folks who enjoy trialing, to a smaller group of financially set folks.

I recently spent quite a bit of $$ to fence in a pasture, and set up for a few sheep. And the reason I did so, is that the travel to work my dogs is getting to the point where I must cut back, but I do love the sport. Who knows if it is worth it.

What I would love to see, are folks who live in a "region" get together and host small trials, not official sanctioned trials, rather trials where folks get together and honestly work their dogs to see where they are, with no pay back, no ribbons, just a bit of competition, and fun. Lest anyone suggest otherwise, of course, there would be a minimum standard of work, like any trial. If we could have more of these, then we could travel less, spend less, and enjoy more.

Wow, Alaska, I think it's quite a stretch to see what people are saying here as "bragging." The whole point of this topic was to make it clear that sometimes one must make sacrifices if one wants to pursue one's dream(s). In the case of working dogs or attending trials, it's unfortunate that this country is so huge and that some of us have to travel greater distances to enjoy the things we enjoy. I guess we could all cop out and attend the numerous *much closer* AKC trials. Yes, attend AKC trials and save the planet! That's the answer. Or perhaps we all need to move to the city, assuming that the city we move to has decent public transportation?

It might not have occurred to you, but as others have pointed out, many of us make adjustments in other areas of our lives. I recycle. I tent camp. I can count the number of new clothing items I've bought in the last decade without using both hands. I don't *own* a lot of stuff. I sell eggs from my chickens to pay for their feed. I give lessons to help pay for the care of my sheep. I do without a lot of things others would consider "must haves" so that I can pursue, at least on occasion, that which I do enjoy.

Yes, I drive a van that doesn't get great mileage, but for the time I was a two-vehicle family (one a fuel-efficient car) I found I couldn't afford the upkeep, taxes, and insurance on two vehicles. If I can ever find a job again, and especially if it requires a commute, I have my sights set on a Smart Car (can be had for as little as $12,000, if you can stand the feeling of riding down the highway on a roller skate). But for now, I try to combine trips, which makes sense anyway, since I live in a rural area and have to drive somewhere to do any shopping (sorry, nothing within walking distance around here) to save gas where I can. I don't run the air conditioner in the summer (here in the hot, humid south) and I keep the thermostat on 60 in the winter. I hang my clothes to dry on a line rather than use the clothes dryer. I'd be willing to bet that the savings I generate with these lifestyle changes save a lot more fossil fuel than staying home from a few trials every year.

As gas prices continue to rise, I'm sure many of us will cut back on our travels even more--at least those of us who don't have great incomes or are independently wealthy.

I would also point out that the number of folks traveling long distances to train and go to stockdog trials is miniscule compared to others traveling for other reasons. What about boaters and water skiiers and jet skis, or even four-wheelers and snowmobiles used for recreation, to name just a few hobbies that are likely to burn way more fossil fuel than all stockdog travel combined? How many folks do you know who use snowmobiles for pleasure? Do you tell them to stop wasting fossil fuel?

And seriously, what are you doing to reduce fossil fuel use, beyond chastising people here?

What folks could take from this topic is that if you don't have the financial wherewithal or are morally opposed to the cost to the planet required to engage in stockdog training and trialing, then perhaps another activity that can be found closer to home is a better choice.

J.

I drive a Corolla and practice hypermillage driving, so I average 45mpg city. I work 1/2 mile from my house and I walk to work if the weather is nice. I tent camp at trials. I am a member of a coop that buys local produce, meats, cheeses, etc. I am growing my own fruits and vegetables this year. I just bought ducks so that I will have my own eggs and maybe even duck meat. My personal long term goal with my dogs is to raise sheep sustainably on pasture. I don't own any "gadgets" aside from a TV, GPS and my laptop, which was purchased for school. The TV and GPS were gifts because I never would have bought them on my own and my family knows it. I live very frugally and my house and furnishings reflect that lifestyle.

I would bet you that the average American who is not involved with livestock and farming wastes a heck of a lot more fossils fuel than the average working sheepdog owner. Because we are so intimately connected with the land and the animals we are constantly aware of environmental issues.

Mark, it's great that your car gets such great mileage, but still, driving 80 miles a day? WOW. Do you drive a Prius? I looked at them, but there is no way I can afford to buy one. See, that's the problem.
Since there are very few jobs for PhD research chemists in rural areas I have 3 choices: find a new career (throw away years of study), give up our chosen lifestyle (to keep this job I'd have to move closer to the city & buy a 2000sqft house on <1/4 acre for >$600k), or accept a long commute to be able to afford land.

I drive a Jetta TDI wagon.

I was using your statement as an illustration Mark. It is not cheap to go green, simply put. I looked up your vehicle, and it looks cool- do you have a decent amount of cargo room? The stated mileage for city is only 30 highway- how do you get more out of it?

Since there are very few jobs for PhD research chemists in rural areas I have 3 choices: find a new career (throw away years of study), give up our chosen lifestyle (to keep this job I'd have to move closer to the city & buy a 2000sqft house on <1/4 acre for >$600k), or accept a long commute to be able to afford land.

I drive a Jetta TDI wagon.

Mark's situation is far from unique, unfortunately. And even rural land is getting much pricier.

J.

Yup. I work for a farmer and while it is only a mile up the road for me, he drives 3 hours each way once a week to sell at a farmers market in a large city. My brother is working on starting a farm based bakery, but he'll be doing the 3 hour drive each week, too. You have to take your products where there are people to buy them.

I drive 90 miles a day to get to work round trip. I work in a city and live an hour away on twenty acres with sheep, horses, about 80 chickens and goats and am currently developing a little organic truck garden for farm markets. I would like more land to do longer outruns with my dogs amd grow more vegetables, but more land means moving farther away from work- if I find a nice piece of land, though, the old Kia Van will be making a longer commute. I am a flashlight farmer until I retire in a few years.

So, when I have time to trial, I am not adverse to making the eight hour trip. I found a trial in the fall that's only six hours away (since Louisiana has no sheepdog trials right now)- six hours is unbelievably close to me! I can't wait! I'm not rich, but I have my priorities set and I work my finances around them.

Maybe we should look at the whole picture.

For those who would be interested in looking at a "bigger" (perhaps not "whole") picture, and who wonder how their choices affect their personal "ecological footprint" (and how they might most effectively reduce it), this website might be of interest:

http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.p...onal_footprint/

This factors in whether (for example), you eat locally, whether you're vegetarian, how much waste you generate vs recycle, and how much you drive.

(disclaimer: the last time I calculated mine, it was close to the national average, something I'm trying to work on)

I went to a clinic. Got up at 4:00 am

Did my early morning farm chores. Wildlife chores

ferry ride, hours drive in Grandpa's truck.

Took Sweep the Broom and my Pup

Met nice people

talked farming with farmers.

Learned some new things.

Told people what I was doing. Gave ideas, got ideas

Met another shearer, exchanged ideas and help

Came home....helped unload from farmers market which my husband and interns ran.

taught butchering to interns by doing two lambs- sheared a few sheep for money at a neighbors to help project

Had dinner went to bed tired. My dogs were tired too. Although Cap and Gunny stayed home and did the home flock.

I will get to maybe one more trial because I am broke. Have to be local.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its about balance

We are all in this together.

Donald,

I am not complaining about anything. all i posted was kinda far but we will see. Seems like you took a shot at me, giving me no excuse not to travel as much as you do. Everybody has things going on in their lives and i am just trying to see how i can work another event into it, and it wasnt 2 different handlers making a comment about distance they were both mine about the same place.

I wish i could do things the way you do or all the other posts about traveling etc. but my dog hasnt even taken 1 lesson yet. Give me a chance to catch up at least, then complain about me saying 100 miles away.

BCkris, I don't know that Donald was necessarily talking about you. There have been several people who have posted in the last couple of weeks asking where they could find a trainer within a certain distance or that they couldn't find a trial close to them.

I should also mention that when I go to trials, it's with 3 other people so we're splitting the cost of a motel room and gas. :rolleyes:

Laura

I have travelled 12 hours to take some lessons; travelled 9 hours to do a clinic; most of the trials I attend are within 40 min (hurahhhh!) and 3 hours but at least 2X year I will travel 7-10 hours. I regularly meet friends 1 hour - 2hours away to work on someone elses sheep

The 1985 RV gets crappy gas mileage; but with 12 dogs to bring with us so our farm sitters only have to deal with the 5 guardian dogs and 250 sheep (plus what ever lambs), horses and misc little critters a compact high mileage car isn't in our future. There are times when both my husband and I drive in seperate vehicles so one of us can come home every day or so to do the chores on the farm. Not fuel efficient but necessary

I'm always looking to who is the area where I travel for work so I can bring a dog with me and work at someone else's place...

John and I are looking towards next years finals...that 35 hours of driving will be fun!

cynthia

We can all agree it takes true dedication to train and trial at the highest levels. Hats off for all of you who make the sacrifices to be able to pursuit this passion.

P.S. I'm a whimp :rolleyes:

I traveled 12 hours (each way) to go to a clinic a couple of years ago, another 14 hours each way in the opposite direction to go to another clinic that same year, and 18 hours each way to go to a different one last year...most of the trials I go to involve a 5-8 hour drive...I just drove 13 hours each way to pick up a puppy...the trainer I sent Taz to, and occasionally drive up to for the odd lesson, is 15 hours away from me and in another country. You do what you have to do if you want to do it enough...

I am reminded about two open handlers I overheard talking to each other about qualifying for the Finals, but it could be extended to explain the way people who genuinely want to work their dogs and make them the best they can be think and act. The two handlers were discussing the fact that it was nothing to decide to drive three hours one way just to put their dogs on different areas and sheep to work on things several times a week. It costs money and time, but if the priority is to give your dog the best experience and training, it will happen. The funny thing is both these handlers were just casually talking about what it takes to give their dogs the best shot, not lamenting the drive time or bragging about their dedication. It was just what they did routinely and neither thought it was any big deal nor unusual. Their casualness to the required dedication was illuminating and inspiring.

Archived