BC Boards

Itchies Issue

Here's the routine: Vacuum daily if I can, every other day at least. Wash dog beds weekly. Wipe Shonie down at least 2x/day, more if I'm around to do it when she comes in from outside. Bath weekly in a medicated shampoo for her seborrhea.

She itches like a fiend at night. She sleeps on one of those water filled things, and even though I change the towel that covers it every other day, I think maybe the cover of the water mattress itself has got dust mites. If that's true, what can I wipe it down with that will kill the little devils?

I'd like her to be able sleep on some sort of mattress, as she has bad arthritis.

Ruth

What makes you think you have dust mites that are bothering Shonie? From what I understand everyone has dust mites. They live in our houses and on anything soft where they can set up shop but unless you have a severe allergy to them they are for the most part harmless.

I also find that this is the time of year that all my dogs get itchy. THey are starting to blow their winter coats (my friends from MO have dogs who have already blown their winter coats but we are behind in CO cause of the cold) so they seem to itch way more than other times of the year. I brush allot to get the dead hair off but I really can't think of the last time I washed a dog or a dog bed. I do vacuum the soft dog beds but not that often. I try to vacuum about once a week with the hair balls we're getting now. That's a long time to go between vacuuming but still, I'm not good at doing it more often.

What makes you think you have dust mites that are bothering Shonie?

We've had her allergy tested, and dust mites came up high on the list, along with johnson grass, mosquito bites, and (yes, this is embarassing) wool.

It's frustrating, because her itching goes up dramatically during the night, so I'm thinking it might be that there's a source of mites that I haven't dealt with.

Ruth

My Daisy gets itchy if we don't give her a bit of fish oil in her food daily. We give her Lipoderm, because it's packaged conveniently in a squirt bottle and our pet store carries it, but human fish oil is also good. They cost about the same. If you're not already giving it to Shonie, it'd certainly be worth a try. It's easier to adjust the dog than to adjust the entire environment!

My Daisy gets itchy if we don't give her a bit of fish oil in her food daily. We give her Lipoderm, because it's packaged conveniently in a squirt bottle and our pet store carries it, but human fish oil is also good. They cost about the same. If you're not already giving it to Shonie, it'd certainly be worth a try. It's easier to adjust the dog than to adjust the entire environment!

She's getting salmon oil daily, with some Vit E added as well. The fish oil has made a big difference in her seborrhea, it's much milder now, but she's still itchy.

We've had a very wet winter here, DH's allergies are making him crazy, so it might just be general allergies, rather than just the dust mites. Trying to do everything I can, here, her poor paws are very red.

Before anyone jumps on the food issues, we've been around the block w/raw foods, home made foods, etc. We did an elimination diet. We've done every single alternative therapy that's available here, and in Northern California, that's a lot. Food doesn't seem to affect her allergies.

Ruth

Don't konw if it would help but I have dog beds made of vinyl. I bought the material at Wallmart and then stuffed them with a partial egg crate matteress topper that fits a twin bed. Quite easy to make. I think I got 2 dog beds per matteress topper.

What a bummer, dustmites and wool. What's a poor girl supposed to do!? Poor Shonie.

There are home steam cleaning units that heat the water to a temperature high enough to kill dust mites. The ones that will get hot enough to actually kill dust mites are fairly pricey, but I have seen them on Craig's List used occasionally. I have a White Stag unit and really like it. I think I bought it off a website that is geared toward allergy sufferers (like myself)

Lokisaab, I can't do that with the water mattress,but last night I pulled the thing out of her sleeping area and put down a clean towel. There's carpet on that area, so she's got a little padding. She didn't itch nearly as much. I can sure put a towel in the dryer for a few minutes nightly.

It's not a for sure thing, though. It started raining late last night, again, and that might have been what made the difference. We live right across the road from a big stand of johnson grass, and maybe the rain cleaned the air up a bit. I'll try the dryer routine for a few nights, and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

Ruth

She's getting salmon oil daily, with some Vit E added as well. The fish oil has made a big difference in her seborrhea, it's much milder now, but she's still itchy.

We've had a very wet winter here, DH's allergies are making him crazy, so it might just be general allergies, rather than just the dust mites. Trying to do everything I can, here, her poor paws are very red.

Before anyone jumps on the food issues, we've been around the block w/raw foods, home made foods, etc. We did an elimination diet. We've done every single alternative therapy that's available here, and in Northern California, that's a lot. Food doesn't seem to affect her allergies.

Ruth

I don't know how much this would help but you can buy mattress and pillow covers that block dustmites. I wonder if one of those pillow covers would help in her bed. They have them at Walmart and they don't cost very much. And then from what I read you just have to keep vacuuming to keep all the dust out.

She's getting salmon oil daily, with some Vit E added as well. The fish oil has made a big difference in her seborrhea, it's much milder now, but she's still itchy... Trying to do everything I can, here, her poor paws are very red.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you weren't trying everything! This thread is growing into a good collection of ideas. I hope some of them help.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you weren't trying everything! This thread is growing into a good collection of ideas. I hope some of them help.

You have nothing to apologize for :rolleyes: My experience is that whenever I ask a question about Shonie's allergies, I get several replies that focus on feeding raw, using acupunture/herbs/homeopathics/flower essences, feeding whole prey, home cooking, etc etc etc, and some people (I don't think on here, elsewhere) get militant about it. I try to head off the barrage by listing our past attempts to get her some relief.

I could have mentioned that she's on fish oil/vitamin e in my initial post, and will include that in the future.

Thank you all for the suggestions. We'll be trying the dryer technique this evening.

Ruth

My old dog had lots of itching too. We bathed him with Relief shampoo about once per week, as recommended by our vet, and it really helped. I continue to use the shampoo to this day on my newer dogs. Either my newer dogs don't have allergies, or the shampoo is making a difference, because they do not seem to itch, even during this high pollen season.

To use the shampoo, you leave the suds on the dog for about 10 minutes before rinsing them off. So I usually take the dogs in the shower with me and wash myself during the time the shampoo suds are setting. It's one big, happy family affair!