BC Boards

Heel work

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope. No doggie sports for me. Do you give lessons?

Yes. Mostly for the behavior side. We do work some sport skills into that context, especially when we go over building focus. So, I work with people more on helping their dogs stay relaxed, focused, and confident in a sport environment (both in the ring and outside the ring) than on specific sport skills - although I will help with that when the occasion arises, and I do tailor the exercises to a specific sport where applicable.

So, for a dog that gets unnerved by the presence of a judge in the Agility ring, we work on helping the dog learn to be OK with judges in the ring. Or, for a dog that is distracted by scents on the floor while heeling, we work on helping the dog offer and maintain focus in the presence of those scents. Or, for a dog that can't stay off the food bowls in Rally, we work on helping the dog learn to offer and maintain focus in the presence of those food bowls, etc. Or, for a dog that gets frantic as other dogs are doing Agility, we work on helping the dog learn to be calm in that situation. Etc. etc. etc.

Back on the topic of heelwork, if a dog is unenthusiastic about heeling, we work on building enthusiasm for it. If a dog is stressed by duration heeling, or heeling in a certain context, we work on lowering the dog's stress level and helping the dog gain confidence. If heeling falls apart in competition, say the dog is running out of the ring in competition, we work on building the dog's desire to remain in the ring, engaged with the handler. If someone wanted eye contact while heeling, but the dog continually disengaged, we would work on building that particular kind of focus using different modes of reinforcement.

Some of these are dogs with "issues", but most of them are normal dogs who need some help with relaxation, focus, and confidence in sport situations.

So, why the sudden interest in sports?

For Rally, I've heard it described as being for people who are neither good at agility or obedience, and that it's a sloppy version of both somewhere in the middle. I've never seen Rally. Is there any truth to that? What is APDT Rally? As opposed to what? Are there other venues that offer it? Where does APDT stand in the ranks? I don't know if I'm asking that correctly. In herding, AKC would be at the bottom as far as difficulty, with ISDS style trials being at the top. Is there a "championship" in APDT Rally that you could obtain?

What about Freestyle and Heelwork to Music? What are the highest levels? And are there championships available?

CPE agility ... where does that fit in the rankings?

For Rally, I've heard it described as being for people who are neither good at agility or obedience, and that it's a sloppy version of both somewhere in the middle.

I have to wonder what point people who say things like that are making. Are they people who are looking for something different to do, but are disappointed by this particular option, or is there some other reason?

I'd be interested in the exact point that the folks you talked to were trying to make about it if you recall.

I've never seen Rally. Is there any truth to that?

It's an opinion. It's true that some people hold that opinion. I know plenty of people who consider Rally a great activity for building their relationship with their dogs, for helping their dogs learn focus and self control, and as a fun sport in which they enjoy competing. Some consider it preparation for other sports (like obedience or Agility), but many others enjoy it for its own sake. Especially those who compete in APDT Rally for years and go for the combined championship titles.

What is true? I guess that depends on who you talk to.

I know people who consider traditional obedience incredibly boring, Agility stupid, Freestyle foolish, and Flyball pointless. I also know people who love traditional obedience and it's unique challenges, love Agility, consider Freestyle to be the most complex of the dog sports, and Flyball the ultimate dog sport.

In fact, of all the sports, I hear Rally put down the least.

It really makes me wonder - why bother putting down sports in which one does not compete? If it's not to try to make a sincere effort to bring something new to the sport, what is there to gain?

And why bother putting down sports in which other people put their heart and soul and a lot of dedicated work and training?

(BTW, Jodi - I am not saying you are putting the sports down. I refer to the people who do - whether in your hearing or mine)

What is APDT Rally?

APDT Rally is the original venue that offered the sport. It was created as a sport based on traditional obedience and, of all things, rally car racing.

It was created to be a stand-alone sport, not as some kind of preparation for traditional obedience, and APDT has stayed true to that vision. That's the reason why they only offer Rally.

If you are really interested in knowing the details of APDT Rally, your best bet is to go to their website. You can download the rules, the exercises required at each level, and probably find some history.

The main thing to know about APDT Rally is that it was the original venue to offer the sport, and it is considered to be the most true to the originator's intention.

As opposed to what? Are there other venues that offer it?

Primarily, AKC Rally, which was developed a bit later and is seriously a watered down version. Where an APDT Rally course at Level 1 has about 18 signs, and includes exercises such as left pivots, AKC Rally only has about 10 signs in their Novice level, and the exercises are a bit simpler.

One of the biggest differences (difficulty-wise) is that AKC also allows luring, which will disqualify you in a second in APDT Rally.

Although there are places on APDT Rally courses where you are allowed to give food rewards, APDT Rally is a lot more difficult than AKC Rally. I've done both, so I do know this first hand.

As you go up the levels, APDT Rally maintains a much higher level of difficulty.

UKC is now offering Rally, as well as C-WAGS. I have no firsthand experience with either, so I cannot speak to how those versions measure up. It is my understanding that UKC is more like AKC and C-WAGS is more like APDT, but I don't know that firsthand.

Where does APDT stand in the ranks? I don't know if I'm asking that correctly. In herding, AKC would be at the bottom as far as difficulty, with ISDS style trials being at the top.

APDT is at the top as far as difficulty. AKC at the bottom.

Is there a "championship" in APDT Rally that you could obtain?

Yes, there are several different types of championships you can obtain in APDT Rally.

Originally there were only two levels, and the ARCH was developed to be the highest level championship title. They later added Level 3 and developed the ARCHX and then the ARCHEX. Later on an even higher level of difficulty was required and the ARCHMX was created. That only came out less than a year ago, though.

To get those titles (speaking generally), you have to earn a certain amount of "Double Q's" at a certain score level at the same trial. For the ARCHMX one must earn "Triple Q's" at a certain score level. So, for instance, a "Double Q" toward the ARCH title is a Q in both Level 1 and Level 2 with a score of at least 190 in each. As you move along in these titles, the required scores get higher, and for the MX, the Q's must be in all three levels at the same trial.

There are also championships at each level, but the combined titles (described above) are the more difficult to attain.

What about Freestyle and Heelwork to Music? What are the highest levels? And are there championships available?

I can only speak to WCFO here in the US. Freestyle exists in several manifestations around the world.

The first level is Beginner, and then Novice (oddly) is the "middle" level. Intermediate and Advanced are the "high" levels. They just created a new championship level a year or so ago - Perfect Dance Partners.

In Beginner, there is a lot of leeway. Hand signals are allowed and the dog only needs to work on two sides of the handler. They are looking for some level of attention from the dog, but not a high level. They don't penalize repeated cues very much. No artistic movement or stepping in time is required for the handler. You need a 7.3 in both artistic and technical to qualify.

In Novice, there is still some leeway, but less. Hand signals are discouraged. The dog now needs to work on three sides of the handler. They are looking for very good attention, and for the dog to come right back if he or she becomes distracted. They start to penalize repeated cues and are looking for more precision. They want to start seeing artistic movement and stepping in time by the handler. You need an 8.0 in both artistic and technical to qualify.

Intermediate is like a leap into a new world. They want no hand signals. You can choreograph some physical cues into your choreography, but if it looks like an obvious hand signal, you get hit hard in your score. The dog now needs to work on four sides, and they are particularly set on seeing the dog do some moves behind the handler (which is extremely difficult). They are looking for nearly perfect attention and the last thing you want to do is repeat cues. Artistic movement and stepping in time to the music is now required. You need an 8.5 in both artistic and technical to qualify.

Advanced takes Intermediate up a level. All of the requirements above are the same, but now they want to see some real creativity and originality. And the dog needs to work on 4+ sides of the handler. They want to see a lot of polish and artistry. No hand cues, lots of precision, near perfect attention, etc. You need 9.2 in both artistic and technical to qualify.

Perfect Dance Partners is the new champion level.

CPE agility ... where does that fit in the rankings?

Depends on your goal for Agility. The Agility venues all offer something different. For people who want to be super competitive, USDAA is where you would want to be. People who do AKC consider AKC the best. CPE is a newer venue designed to offer Agility to people who have less of a competitive mindset. People really set on being competitive would most likely say that CPE is "easy".

So, if someone were looking for a venue that I'm competing in to put down, CPE would be one of the ones that he or she would most likely put down.

Of all the venues that I compete in, though, I think I truly love CPE the most. I will truly miss it when Maddie retires.

So, again - why the sudden interest in dog sports?

Thanks for the info, Kristine. Have you obtained a Championship in any of the venues you mention?

Only one so far. Speedy and I earned the Level 1 Championship title in APDT Rally.

Dean and I are currently working on our ARCH, and his Level 1 Championship title. :rolleyes:

I did have hopes of a CATCH with Maddie, but with her being 9 years old, I just don't think we are going to have the time to get there. We'll see what we see at the end of this year. We are getting close to the point where we would start working on it, but her health will always come before any title hopes.

So a Level 1 Championship title ... is that the lowest level Championship title there is?

In APDT Rally, or across all dog sports?

And I'm curious - why do you ask? That's a really interesting question. And while we're at it, why all the interest in my sport background? It's not that I don't enjoy chatting about it - it just makes me wonder why the sudden interest.

Just an aside, thank you, Kristine, for the descriptions of the different sports and venues. That was very educational and I had no idea there was such a variety, even within a particular sport in the different organizations.

I have friends who compete to one degree or another (mostly lower levels, for the fun and the training) in Agility, Tracking, Obedience, Rally-O, and other dog sports - and I think it is terrific that they are doing things with their dogs that they (and the dogs, apparently) enjoy and which provide a way to build the bonds between them.

Just an aside, thank you, Kristine, for the descriptions of the different sports and venues. That was very educational and I had no idea there was such a variety, even within a particular sport in the different organizations.

Thanks, Sue. :rolleyes:

I have friends who compete to one degree or another (mostly lower levels, for the fun and the training) in Agility, Tracking, Obedience, Rally-O, and other dog sports - and I think it is terrific that they are doing things with their dogs that they (and the dogs, apparently) enjoy and which provide a way to build the bonds between them.

That's how I see it, too.

In APDT.

Yes, I agree ... thank you for the description of all of the different classes, etc. It's been quite enlightening.

As far as the degree of championship title, it is the first one that one would be eligible to earn in APDT Rally. I don't consider it "low" by any standard, so I'm not going to classify it as "the lowest". "Lowest championship title" is kind of a contradiction that, I think, trivializes the amount of work it takes to earn it - whether by myself or someone else.

I'd love to hear about some of your accomplishments in stockwork - any championships (or, the equivalent, since I understand it doesn't work quite the same way)? Mutual enlightenment, you know. :rolleyes: And, I'd still like to know the reason behind your interest in my sport experience.

That was Vets with Speedy. I had actually posted that here before.

I have removed your access to my blog since I do not believe that you are gathering this information for any purpose except to prove some point that you have not made clear.

If you let me know the point you are trying to make, I may restore access. Otherwise, you are now shut out.

Still waiting on your reasons for your interest in my experience in sports. :rolleyes:

ETA: Anyone who would like access to the video and/or to my blog may contact me by PM to request to be added to my friends list.

Just curious what level that is and how long it takes to train a dog to that level. Do you train it all positively? Lure? Click? Treats?

I train it all on a prong and it takes 30 seconds.

How long did it take you to train Dean for that course?

Before I go into any more details about myself or my dogs, I'd like to know where you are going with all of your questions. And I'd like to know some details about your experience in competition. What level are you at? What have you accomplished? What kind of "championships", or equivalent, have you won?

I've given you plenty of information. I'd like the answer to those questions before I give you any more.

Thanks!

Where am I going with my questions? Nowhere. Just learning more about all that is Kristine.

I don't have much experience with competition. I've run my dogs in a few sheepdog trials, and stood there and sucked, and my friends laughed at me (even though they claimed they were laughing with me ... yeah, yeah) and my dogs still love me.

How long have you been giving lessons?

Archived