BC Boards

How to control ticks in yard?

Rave

Wondering if anyone has any pet-safe ideas (other than guinea fowl) for controlling ticks in the yard? My dogs are bringing in a bunch from the yard. I've already been bitten, as has someone else in the house.

I've done a little net research and found Diatomaceous Earth as a possibility, but does it actually work if spread over the entire yard? And where might I find large enough bags to cover a largish yard (and do I really need to cover the entire yard)? The local Lowe's has small bags, mostly for borders.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks all!

I've used DET for fly control in the barn but I think once it gets wet it loses it's ability to do the job. (i could be wrong about that) and I've used it around the house to keep the ants out but never tried it in the whole yard. You can get it at some feed mills in 50# bags but make sure it's food grade, not swimming pool grade or that's what I've always been told.

I love my chickens for tick control, not as loud as Guineas and I get eggs to boot!

side note. Depending on where you are, be careful about using to much frontline (or what ever you use) I really think Ravens seizures started when I accidently over dosed her (vet told me to use frontline more than what box said) with tick control. Frontline didn't do anything down in AR.

That's one blessing we have being this far up and out in CO. No ticks or fleas that I've seen in the year we've been here. Which confuses me, where did Rocky Mountain spotted fever come from if there aren't any ticks out here? I'm sure there are ticks but they just aren't up here....yet

You can use a soap spray, but it will likely kill beneficial insects too. Then again, if the ticks are badm, it's probably worth it. I don't know the details, but if you Google something like "Dawn" and "flea control" you'll probably find the formula for spraying the yard. I think most folks use one of those things that attaches to the hose for feeding fertilizer, put the appropriate amount (this is where you'll need Google) of detergent in and spray away....

If you can get away with chickens, they do a great job too, and fertilize as they go. If you get hens/pullets, you don't have to worry about a lot of noise disturbing the neighbors. But if poultry is completely out of the question, I'd try the soap spray combined with diatomaceous earth in the worst areas of the yard.

J.

Diatomaceous Earth can be purchased at swimming pool supplies. It is used in pool filters, and is cheaper with the larger bags. It does not dissolve away, so will be able to work in wet weather. It is the diatom "sheel" from ocean critters, and acts like super fine ground glass. You don`t want to get it in your eyes/lungs when you are spreading it around. It scratches the outer parts of small bugs, and causes them to dehydrate and die. I have put it into the hair of dogs, but not cats. It can also be sprinkled along the backs of the sheep for their skin parasite problems. It is non chemical, just physical in helping eliminate little pests. I`ve heard of feeding it to farm animals, but very few intestinal parasites will be destroyed.

I wouldn't feed pool grade to the sheep. Don't remember exactly why but when I first started using DE I was told to only use food grade. Maybe it was cause I was also feeding it to the sheep to help with internal parasites. Since then I've decided I didn't think it was worth it to feed the sheep but do know of some who do. They use a 50/50 mix with their minerals. I never used that much when I was suplementing with it.

I also put it where the sheep would be bedding so I thought that was another reason to use the food grade.

But I really don't have any documentation to back up the food grade vs. pool grade.

eta.

I checked the web site you linked, I was getting 50# bags for way less, I'll look for the site.

Here it is:

DE site

you can get 50# for $48.00. There's also 5, 10 & 20# bags available.

The DE will kill all insects. If you get a heavy rain, it will wash away so you need to re-apply. I've used it in my carpets inside the house, and it is very effective at killing fleas. As others have said, you need to wear a mask when applying, it can be irritating to the uppre respiratory system.

It's also very, very drying to the skin. Wear gloves and long sleeves/pants when applying.

Ruth

That's one blessing we have being this far up and out in CO. No ticks or fleas that I've seen in the year we've been here. Which confuses me, where did Rocky Mountain spotted fever come from if there aren't any ticks out here? I'm sure there are ticks but they just aren't up here....yet

I was surprised too when I asked my brother, who lives in Grand Lake, what he used on his two dogs and he said they don't use anything. No fleas or ticks up there. Apparently, RMSF is spread in the Eastern states by the dog tick and in the Western states by the wood tick. Maybe the wood ticks don't find dogs appealing? :rolleyes:

We have used nematodes in other yard to control fleas and there may be one for ticks. Here is an article on the research in finding the nematodes: Tackling Ticks That Spread Lyme Disease. I'm still looking for a product.

Mark

Entomopathogenic nematodes for the biocontrol of ticks

Side bar here:

Mark

I watched this on PBS the other night, and I thought you might like to as well. GREAT program.

http://www.thirteen.org/naturally-obsessed/

We have used nematodes in other yard to control fleas and there may be one for ticks. Here is an article on the research in finding the nematodes: Tackling Ticks That Spread Lyme Disease. I'm still looking for a product.

Mark

Entomopathogenic nematodes for the biocontrol of ticks

• 3 weeks later...

Archived