BC Boards

Best way to keep a cast dry?

books

I've had great success with the IV bags as Kelly described, but obviously they won't go all the way up over the elbow. They are very sturdy, though, and won't wear out. So I'd put the plastic bag (newspaper bags would work) on and then put the IV bag on over top as it would protect the bottom part of the plastic bag from wearing out while the dog walks (they wear out very quickly).

J.

He's down for the count tonight, so hopefully tomorrow morning will be the only time I have to deal with it being wet outside. No IV bags here, so I'll have to make to with a couple of bread bags and some vet wrap. He's not supposed to walk too much on the leg so I just need the cast kept dry for the short trips outside.

Definately go the IV bag! If you need one to reach all the way up to the elbow try to get a 5 litre IV bag (equine or large animal clinics will have these, just ask). These are really handy, they are a little wide but some tape wrapped around the middle keeps it tucked in nicely. Really sturdy, don't wear out, and will not have little holes in the bottom that other plastic bags may have.

Archived