BC Boards

Elevated creatinine levels

Jimmyd65

Last Thursday Layla had an episode of staggering. The temps were in the mid to upper 70's. I was playing fetch with her and Gus 15 minutes +. Layla is very slight in built 25.5 pounds and Gus is very fit at 38. Layla charges after Gus then I throw her frisbee. She is basicly doing 2X the work. After playing hard I brought them back into the yard to cool down. Layla was lithargic and staggered for a minute or two. Seemed like forever. I was forced to scoop her up and take her inside. Needless to say I was terrified. After 5 minutes inside she returned to normal and was drinking and wanting to play. I had her to the Vet on Friday morning and the Vet did a complete check. Temp normal, heart, pulse, everything sounded normal. Vet said he didn't hear any unusual heartbeat.

Vet suggested a complete blood and urine examination.

Update: Blood and urine work came back today. Everything is fine but creatinine level was 2.1 (.05-1.6) per the Vet are acceptable ranges.

Layla has been on Orijen 6 Fish for close to a year now. I've been reading that higher protein diets can cause creatinine to get elevated. Has anyone experienced this? We're scheduled to go back for another test in 10 days.

Jim,

I wouldn't necessarily worry about the elevated creatinine, especially in the absence of an elevated BUN. It's possible that it's all a reaction to her overheating episode, since dehydration can cause elevated creatinine. Getting a second blood test later is a good idea, just so you'll have a comparison.

As you now are aware, dogs can severely overheat, even in 70-degree weather. If you ever have another dog lethargic and staggering, immediately cool it down by immersion (or with a hose if you don't have a pool/tub handy). Also be aware that she may be more sensitive to overheating for some time after the initial episode.

J.

creatinine is always up after heat exhaustion/heat stroke. If it were a human, I'd recheck in 10 days, and follow it every 3 months for a while. Talk to your vet.

It is important that she does not get overheated again.

You hear about a lot of dogs getting overheated this time of year. The temps are going up, and dogs are unfit from the winter. 15 minutes of ball for an unfit dog in 70 degree weather is too much. Wild, obessive play (like a dog that charges after a ball/frisbee as you describe) is more likely to overheat a dog than calmer play or work.

If she should become like this again, you can hose her belly, chest, and groin with cool water from the hose, as well as offer her water to drink. Allow her to walk around so she can urinate and stretch out - that helps too. Put a fan on her - keep the air moving.

Do no hose her head, neck, or back

Last Thursday Layla had an episode of staggering. The temps were in the mid to upper 70's. I was playing fetch with her and Gus 15 minutes +. Layla is very slight in built 25.5 pounds and Gus is very fit at 38. Layla charges after Gus then I throw her frisbee. She is basicly doing 2X the work. After playing hard I brought them back into the yard to cool down. Layla was lithargic and staggered for a minute or two. Seemed like forever. I was forced to scoop her up and take her inside. Needless to say I was terrified. After 5 minutes inside she returned to normal and was drinking and wanting to play. I had her to the Vet on Friday morning and the Vet did a complete check. Temp normal, heart, pulse, everything sounded normal. Vet said he didn't hear any unusual heartbeat.

Vet suggested a complete blood and urine examination.

Update: Blood and urine work came back today. Everything is fine but creatinine level was 2.1 (.05-1.6) per the Vet are acceptable ranges.

Layla has been on Orijen 6 Fish for close to a year now. I've been reading that higher protein diets can cause creatinine to get elevated. Has anyone experienced this? We're scheduled to go back for another test in 10 days.

Jim,

I wouldn't necessarily worry about the elevated creatinine, especially in the absence of an elevated BUN. It's possible that it's all a reaction to her overheating episode, since dehydration can cause elevated creatinine. Getting a second blood test later is a good idea, just so you'll have a comparison.

As you now are aware, dogs can severely overheat, even in 70-degree weather. If you ever have another dog lethargic and staggering, immediately cool it down by immersion (or with a hose if you don't have a pool/tub handy). Also be aware that she may be more sensitive to overheating for some time after the initial episode.

J.

Julie and Lenajo,

Thanks so much for the input. As you can imagine we are beside ourselves with worry. The Vet did suggest waiting 10 days for another blood test. We are now limiting her activity to 5 minutes with shorter tosses. She seems to do better in the morning with the cooler temps and wet grass. We just can't expect her to keep up with Gus. His lines are more of the working BC. While Layla was bred more for show if this matters. Again, thanks this puts at ease for the time being.

(.05-1.6) per the Vet are acceptable ranges.

Just a point of clarification. I think you mean 0.5, not 0.05. The only reason I know that is because I have Charlie's blood panel results that he just had done today sitting in front of me and it says 0.5 - 1.8 is the normal range.

Keep an eye on her tongue, since it can tell you a lot about how hot she is getting. If it gets long, flat, wide, and starts to curl up at the ends, then she is getting too hot. Stop and cool her down right away.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a point of clarification. I think you mean 0.5, not 0.05. The only reason I know that is because I have Charlie's blood panel results that he just had done today sitting in front of me and it says 0.5 - 1.8 is the normal range.

Keep an eye on her tongue, since it can tell you a lot about how hot she is getting. If it gets long, flat, wide, and starts to curl up at the ends, then she is getting too hot. Stop and cool her down right away.

We took Layla in for another creatinine level test. The day after the incident her level was 2.1 The Vet just called and her level is back down to 1.7 The Vet wants to keep an eye on this and wants to see her and test again in 3 months.

Archived