BC Boards

How big do Border Collies get

I am watching the newest member of my household get bigger by the day and as he is a rescue I have no idea how big his parents were. Brody is a good size dog he measures 20.5" and weighs 44lbs, at 8 months Rievaulx is at least a good inch plus taller and weighs about 41lbs. So just how big can a Border Collie get?

Scotty was a big dog too -- about 60 pounds and quite tall as well. He had a little fat on him, but not much. He was just a big beautiful boy At a year, Robin and Brodie are about 45-47 lbs and taller than Ladybug - I haven't measured them lately. Ladybug is on the small side, fine boned. She was about 35 pounds until "middle age" she's around 40 lbs now.

Liz

If you want a clear idea as to how big your border collie will be, check out their parents if possible.

I've seen 75lb border collies, I've seen 50lb border collies, and I've seen 23 lb border collies...I think most fall in the 35-45lb range, but there are exceptions to the rule as always...

Ido is 28lbs...

Rune is 31lbs...

But they are both very small for border collies. It varies.

I feel like we are growing a giant, our first Border Collie was a big boy weighed between 58-60lbs and was always skinny. He was a rescue and we always thought there was something else in there as he was so big, now we are not so sure as he looked just like Rievaulx. As he is a rescue we will just have to wait and see how big he gets, poor Brody is in trouble :rolleyes:

I have seen some pretty big ones..we have a female BC(Roxy) that comes to the kennel, I never thought she was big...until I saw her next to my 21" BC..this dog towers over mine! I would guess at LEAST 24" at the shoulders, we have 2 smoothies(Gitmo and Shep) as well that are quite large, 24-25" at the shoulders. then on the other end we have Sophie and Lucky who are both so small I though they were mini aussies at first!

My Flurry is one of the big ones. He's a good 25" if not more and is 58-60 pounds of lean muscle and bone. ETA, he just weighed in at 64 pounds on April 7. Still not fat, he's built up more muscle sledding over the winter than I had even realized Very heavy legs (thick bone and joints), deep wide chest etc.

ETA: Here are some pictures of Flurry. Notice how he towers over my other dogs and how thick his legs are in comparison. Oh, btw, he was 2 in these pictures.

post-5712-1270523806_thumb.jpg

post-5712-1270524019_thumb.jpg

post-5712-1270524083_thumb.jpg

post-5712-1270524177_thumb.jpg

My Flurry is one of the big ones. He's a good 25" if not more and is 58-60 pounds of lean muscle and bone. Very heavy legs (thick bone and joints), deep wide chest etc.

ETA: Here are some pictures of Flurry. Notice how he towers over my other dogs and how thick his legs are in comparison. Oh, btw, he was 2 in these pictures.

First you have now confirmed what we always thought that Bandit was all Border Collie he had Flurry deep chest and height, but was fully feathered. Everyone from our vet onwards always said he can't be as he is so big, but we always thought if it looks like a duck quacks like a duck then its a duck. But now I am wondering just how big my weed is going to get :rolleyes:

First you have now confirmed what we always thought that Bandit was all Border Collie he had Flurry deep chest and height, but was fully feathered. Everyone from our vet onwards always said he can't be as he is so big, but we always thought if it looks like a duck quacks like a duck then its a duck. But now I am wondering just how big my weed is going to get :rolleyes:

Just found a couple more older pictures. These ones were when Flurry was only a year old and Rain, who's with him in one was a little over 1 1/2. She is my smallest adult dog, she just barely makes 40 pounds now that's she's mature, not sure of her height. Quite the pair if I run them beside each other on my dogsled team. The biggest and the smallest, 64 pounds and 40 pounds, 25+" and maybe 20"?

post-5712-1270579753_thumb.jpg

post-5712-1270579836_thumb.jpg

While I will profess that it doesn’t matter how big Cerbie gets, or how small he stays, my curiosity is definitely piqued. He is (we believe) 50/50 BC and Lab. That assessment comes from his Lab like ears, otter tail and the general stockiness of his build. At 6 months he’s 41 lbs and 20” at the withers and in great shape. I’m thinking he’ll be ~ 55lbs and 23”. Does that sound about right?

He’s a rescue so his parentage is in question…

As I’ve said, I’m completely gobsmacked by this little guy so however he turns out is fine by me.

While I will profess that it doesn’t matter how big Cerbie gets, or how small he stays, my curiosity is definitely piqued. He is (we believe) 50/50 BC and Lab. That assessment comes from his Lab like ears, otter tail and the general stockiness of his build. At 6 months he’s 41 lbs and 20” at the withers and in great shape. I’m thinking he’ll be ~ 55lbs and 23”. Does that sound about right?

He’s a rescue so his parentage is in question…

As I’ve said, I’m completely gobsmacked by this little guy so however he turns out is fine by me.

I believe my Lightning is a BC/lab cross. We know his dad was a purebred BC and his mom was very labby looking but we're not certain if she was 100% lab. Lightning stands 24" and ranges between 58-62 pounds depending on his conditioning. He's the one in my avatar picture, and here's another couple of shots of him. He's the one out in front running single lead on the sled, and the one on the far right in the other picture.

post-5712-1270731849_thumb.jpg

post-5712-1270731940_thumb.jpg

My BC boy Nick is 23 months and weighed 51 pounds at his last vet check. All of it solid muscle and he's actually a tad lean in the ribs! Of course, he's intact so he's probably more heavily muscled than a neutered male.

So BCs can get some heft, particularly the males, but it's not the beefiness of labs or the like. :rolleyes:

Cheers ~

Gloria

Archived