BC Boards

How long for driver's ed?

How long (in terms of time) should one work their dogs on driving? Lucy did some amazing cross driving today, and when I took her back out (it had warmed up) she wasn't as "on" and it was a yell fest (ick). I am wondering what I should be shooting for in terms of quantity/quality? I don't want to sour her, but I don't want her doing the wrong things either... Am thinking one short session works....

How long (in terms of time) should one work their dogs on driving? Lucy did some amazing cross driving today, and when I took her back out (it had warmed up) she wasn't as "on" and it was a yell fest (ick). I am wondering what I should be shooting for in terms of quantity/quality? I don't want to sour her, but I don't want her doing the wrong things either... Am thinking one short session works....

You're thinking right, but don't expect that it will be just fine all the time. Don't forget it's a learning process and they have good and bad days just like we do. You're teaching her so be thankful for the good times and show her what you want during the off times. She has to do as she's told all the time, but she must know what it is that you are telling her to do. There will be some confusion during these learning times and that's where your teaching qualities come in to play. If you think she's being disobedient then correct her, but if you feel she's a little confused about what it is you want her to do, then teach and show her what you want her to do. Remeber to mix it up when you are training so that you are not concentrating on just one thing. They'll get pretty bored with this after a while and if things aren't going well there could be a lot of added stress taking place. When you get a good drive out of her quit on that good note and go to something else for a while and then something else etc., etc. Keep it interesting and if you aren't feeling up to snuff, don't go out and train. Take a rest from it and go back out when you're feeling better. It will be the little increments of improvement that will get you where you want to go, not the "amazing miracles"!! Good luck and have fun......Bob

Thanks so much Bob. She really tries, and then I make the stupid mistake of wanting even MORE very good stuff from her. I need to learn to quit while I am ahead. Perhaps an egg timer!

You're thinking right, but don't expect that it will be just fine all the time. Don't forget it's a learning process and they have good and bad days just like we do. You're teaching her so be thankful for the good times and show her what you want during the off times. She has to do as she's told all the time, but she must know what it is that you are telling her to do. There will be some confusion during these learning times and that's where your teaching qualities come in to play. If you think she's being disobedient then correct her, but if you feel she's a little confused about what it is you want her to do, then teach and show her what you want her to do. Remeber to mix it up when you are training so that you are not concentrating on just one thing. They'll get pretty bored with this after a while and if things aren't going well there could be a lot of added stress taking place. When you get a good drive out of her quit on that good note and go to something else for a while and then something else etc., etc. Keep it interesting and if you aren't feeling up to snuff, don't go out and train. Take a rest from it and go back out when you're feeling better. It will be the little increments of improvement that will get you where you want to go, not the "amazing miracles"!! Good luck and have fun......Bob

Archived