BC Boards

New Puppy

Hello, My name is Shawn and my wife and I just got a 13 week old female BC two days ago. This will be my second BC. I had one as a child. I am having some small issues with potty training that I am not used to. First and the most puzzling to me is that she pees as soon as she gets into the kennel 100% of the time! She did come from a place that had a 6x6ft kennel that her siblings and her clearly did go to the bathroom in. Besides the obvious, her going outside to relieve herself right before she goes into the kennel, I am stumped as to how to help her stop this. I don’t know if it’s nerves or what. Any thoughts or things to try? Or is time the answer here? Thanks!

Hello, My name is Shawn and my wife and I just got a 13 week old female BC two days ago. This will be my second BC. I had one as a child. I am having some small issues with potty training that I am not used to. First and the most puzzling to me is that she pees as soon as she gets into the kennel 100% of the time! She did come from a place that had a 6x6ft kennel that her siblings and her clearly did go to the bathroom in. Besides the obvious, her going outside to relieve herself right before she goes into the kennel, I am stumped as to how to help her stop this. I don’t know if it’s nerves or what. Any thoughts or things to try? Or is time the answer here? Thanks!

Is it a kennel as in a run, or a kennel as in a crate? If it's a crate I would keep it closed until your ready to put her in, and then lead her inside it with a stuffed bone or a stuffed kong. Most dogs won't "go" where they eat. If it's a run I would partition it with and x-pen so it's a very small space that she's walking in to. It won't give her room to do much circling, and if you feed her regular meals there it should have a good effect. You can gradually move the partition back until she has the whole run.

It could be that the run at the breeder's was the only outside space they had. If her only options for potty places were in the house or in the run, she probably got used to using the run for going. She would likely have been corrected for "going" in the house and praised for going in the run.

Also, be sure to praise lavishly for peeing in approved areas - outside the run. I have a dog that was raised on concrete and she wanted to have concrete underfoot to "go" at first. It took close monitoring until going on dirt or grass "felt right" to her. A way to test whether your dog is waiting for the feel of concrete underfoot is to put down a section of old carpet in the run. If she never goes on it - chooses the concrete surface for peeing by preference - you know what you're dealing with.

It is a Kennel as in a crate. The crate is large enough for her to turn around in but that’s about it. So when she pees she has to sit/lay in it :rolleyes: She will not take treats from us when we place her into the Kennel. I did buy two Kongs today and will try filling one and seeing how it goes. She is very very submissive and is afraid of pretty much everything she sees and hears. She also pees when she get scared or excited. She was not that way at the breeders so I think it has a lot to do with the complete change in her environment. I am telling you all this to try to give you a better picture of the dog incase these other behaviors are linked. Any thoughts are greatly helpful.

Is it a kennel as in a run, or a kennel as in a crate? If it's a crate I would keep it closed until your ready to put her in, and then lead her inside it with a stuffed bone or a stuffed kong. Most dogs won't "go" where they eat. If it's a run I would partition it with and x-pen so it's a very small space that she's walking in to. It won't give her room to do much circling, and if you feed her regular meals there it should have a good effect. You can gradually move the partition back until she has the whole run.

It could be that the run at the breeder's was the only outside space they had. If her only options for potty places were in the house or in the run, she probably got used to using the run for going. She would likely have been corrected for "going" in the house and praised for going in the run.

Also, be sure to praise lavishly for peeing in approved areas - outside the run. I have a dog that was raised on concrete and she wanted to have concrete underfoot to "go" at first. It took close monitoring until going on dirt or grass "felt right" to her. A way to test whether your dog is waiting for the feel of concrete underfoot is to put down a section of old carpet in the run. If she never goes on it - chooses the concrete surface for peeing by preference - you know what you're dealing with.

Since it's a crate, I would try feeding her in it. Walk with her dish to the (closed) crate, put the food far enough inside that she has to get in to eat it and step well back from the crate and encourage her to "Go get your supper!" Leave the dish in with her for awhile. It will help remind her that she's in the "dining room," not the "bathroom."

Also, if she usually pees when you close the door, don't close it the first few times you feed her there. If she usually pees before you latch the door, reserve a couple of bits of kibble to hand-feed to hold her attention while you shove her bowl in. I've never seen a dog eat and pee at the same time - it may help to derail the peeing.

Be sure that you are very upbeat about the whole thing. She might be doing submissive urination, so don't loom, but be happy.

You might also try sitting on the floor with her a few feet from the crate her and tossing tiny bits of cheese in. Encourage her to go after them, and the second she's in the crate start saying, "C'mere! Look! More Cheese!" When she comes back out give her a bit and toss another into the crate. Repeat as long as you can stand it. This way she gets treats in the kennel and treats for coming when called.

Guest echoica

a few other things that came to mind:

1. is she getting outside enough? -- try taking her outside more often -- a schedule every 30 minutes so she doesn't have the chance to do it inside the kennel (or inside at all for that matter)

2. do not keep water in the crate when she is inside so she is less likely to fill up her bladder

3. clean it with a enzymatic cleaner made for removing the scent -- it might be that she can still smell her own urine and is just using the same spot over and over

4. remove all bedding -- some pups like to pee in soft places like carpet, towels etc.

5. check with a vet for a possible UTI or other health related issue

that's all i can think of for now other than the suggestions geonni has made :rolleyes:

Thank you all for the help! Just an update, no water no bedding and a brand new crate after being outside with us for several hours, she did not make 5 minuites :rolleyes: I gave her another bath! then did the cheese trick. Had her go in the crate around 30 times to get little bits of cheese then fed her dinner in the crate. I did all of this with the door open. Right now my wife is outside with her at the potty spot. When she comes in I will put the kong with frozen peanutbutter in the crate and hope for the best. Wish us luck!!

Quick update, no potty outside after 10 minutes so she went into the crate with the kong. Stopped eatting as soon as she saw the door close. I went ahead and laid infront of the door while she laid inside. After 30 minutes she did not pee at all. THis is a first! I do not know if it was the food or that she was never alone at all. Going to try to go outside to potty again now. Had next to no success in that dept. Seems her favorite spot is the crate.

Welcome! You've received some terrific advice and I don't have anything to add to this right now other than trying to take her to potty outside where another dog or dogs has already gone - to "mark" the spot for her. If the kennel has residual urine odor and the outside potty spot doesn't - well, you get my point?

One thing I am wondering is since she and the other pups "had" to do their business in that 6x6 kennel, which was (I'm assuming) not dirt-floored, she may simply be going on a surface most similar to what she's used to going on - and it's not grass. She may have to learn that grass/dirt is the right place, and I would try taking her to potty where other dogs have already gone. Or, if that's not an option, see if your local pet supply store (or the internet) has a product that you can use to mark the right spot - or collect some of her urine from the crate to mark a spot outside yourself - and that might be the most "productive" thing to try.

I know this is difficult, but you seem determined to do a good job with her, and I am sure you will figure out what works and will succeed. Very best wishes!

The next time she urinates in her crate, wipe it up with a paper towel or old rag, take that outside to where you want ther to relieve herself, and rub it into the grass/bark/whathaveyou, or just leave it there, if you're not afraid she'll eat it.

Her own urine scent outside will be helpful in implanting the 'potty outside' concept.

Good luck!

Ruth

You guys have great ideas! Thanks so much for the help. We made lots of progress last night. I got up with her every two to three hours. She never went in the crate. Only a small dribble when she would come out. She did go outside every time. I got so excited the first time she actually went outside that my cheering scared her off!! Thankfully she came back to finish. Thanks again for the great advice. I think we are moving in the right direction now.

Okay, so drop the cheerleading! That's great news and keep it up. If you are consistent, clear in what you are doing so she can understand and learn, and take it calmly, I am sure things will work out well for you all.

For the dribbling coming out of the crate, it might help to just scoop her up in your arms to carry her out - maybe. It might be worth a try. Not to mention that, taking her out of her clean crate, you can pet and stroke her in quiet praise, and bond all the better.

It just sounds to me like she didn't have the chance to learn good habits beforehand.

The next time she urinates in her crate, wipe it up with a paper towel or old rag, take that outside to where you want ther to relieve herself, and rub it into the grass/bark/whathaveyou, or just leave it there, if you're not afraid she'll eat it.

Her own urine scent outside will be helpful in implanting the 'potty outside' concept.

Good luck!

Ruth

What a great approach! :rolleyes:

You guys have great ideas! Thanks so much for the help. We made lots of progress last night. I got up with her every two to three hours. She never went in the crate. Only a small dribble when she would come out. She did go outside every time. I got so excited the first time she actually went outside that my cheering scared her off!! Thankfully she came back to finish. Thanks again for the great advice. I think we are moving in the right direction now.

Yeah, any sudden noise or disturbance can scare the dog off of doing their business. I would suggest keeping the praise calm but plentiful. Also, teach her the phrase you are going to use for her to do her business. (Make it something that you can use in public :rolleyes: such as "get busy" or "go potty") And treat her when she goes where you want her to go. You won't get much uninterrupted sleep at first, but you'll soon have a dog that goes on command.

BTW, don't get grouchy or scold. What she is doing makes sense to her...you've gotta get inside her head to understand her reasons and then give her better reasons for doing it your way.

HTH,

Jim

When we trained we would use "go potty" and "go big potty." Got all excited and also took her where the other dogs went. It worked most times but consistency is the key. You are doing great; keep up the good work. Remember she is a baby and will make mistakes for awhile.

Hey guys, I have another question. Do you have ideas on how to keep her from peeing when she greets you? I'm not sure if its nerves or submissive behavior that causes it. Any ideas would be greatly helpfull! Thanks a lot.

Shawnk,

That's a typical puppy thing and they usually outgrow it. You can try to keep greetings calmer so she's less likely to urinate, but time usually cures it.

J.

Thanks for the info! At what age do they normally grow out of that stage?

I think as she gets to know you more this peeing will stop whether it's from excitement or submissiveness. I would try to give her space when you open the crate. i.e. open the door and start walking away. All very nonchalant.

Welcome to the board. I learn so much here.

Hi!

You mentioned about the pee when you get home..etc.. One thing that worked for us (or maybe it was just luck, our pup never peed in the house) was that we crated Shiloh when we were out, we got home and scooped him up, no talking or eye contact or anything- brought him outside for a pee and then gave him a treat and said hello after he did his business! We did the same thing for night time pee's, no talking or anything- scooped him out of the crate, pee, praise and back to sleep. It was very effective to pick him up (as mentioned above by someone else).

Anyways- we found it very effective to flat out ignore him when we got home (starting at 10 weeks) or when we were leaving the house to avoid excitement. He only got attention after peeing outside or offering a quiet sit or laydown(if he didn't need a bathroom break). He is still happy when we get home, but doesn't rush the door or anything- he just watches us and lays down until we get settled and reward him for such cam behaviors.

just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

Archived