BC Boards

Whistles for multiple dogs

NorthfieldNick

I just got a metal whistle last weekend, and I can suddenly whistle consistently! I was struggling with the plastic one.

When you have multiple dogs, do you train them to the same or different whistles? Nick came with a set of whistles, which I'll keep, but Hoot is a clean slate. This is way early, as Hoot is no where near ready to start stock training, but if I need to learn new whistles, I'm going to have to start practicing now.

Thanks.

Dear Sheepdoggers,

The same whistle. If I buy a dog with different whistles I change them. Because some top trainer/handler/dog merchants influence so many dogs and because the top few influence so many others I suspect there will be a tendency here in the US to homogonize whistles as voice commands are already.

Donald McCaig

If you plan on working them both at the same time (brace) then you should have different whistles for each dog. Otherwise I agree with Donald, having your dogs on the same whistles avoids confusion on your part.

Ray

I find I often work two dogs together, so I put each one on different whistles. They do seem to learn each others', though, which is ok, so when working just one dog, if I blow the wrong dog's whistle, they generally take the correct flank,

A

Mine are on the same whistles, except for Kat, who came with a different set and I just left them the way they were. I just have to remind myself of her whistle set before working her. I think if you've got a good set of whistles (ones that are clear to the dog and that you can blow consistently) then just use them for everyone unless you're planning to work a brace as others have said). If you have any issues with Nick's whistles, then now is your chance to come up with a set you like better....

J.

Archived