BC Boards

Crunchy's lab work is back

aphillippi

The vet just called with the results of Crunchy's lab work and it looks like everything came back in the normal ranges. So it looks like HOD is the diagnosis. She is very hopefull that since he is a border collie and not a larger breed of dog he will make it through this without major deformities. Of course it is really unknown what is going to happen and that is the hardest part. Since he is probably at least 50% done with his growing he does have a better chance. We are going to give it 8 weeks and see where he is at then. I've just never heard of HOD and this is all new to me. Its really tough keeping him "safe" from an 18 month old boy who wants to mess with him all the time. I've been keeping them separated as much as possible but I hate to keep Crunchy kenneled all the time. I guess naptime will become my main time with Crunchy until he is feeling better. Please keep our little boy in your prayers.

Thanks Sue! The meds seem to be helping because he was getting around more like his normal self today even trying to jump which is a big no no! His stance has really been affected by this. It is so crazy how once you know what you are looking at how often you find yourself looking and worrying.

What a difficult thing to have to go through with your darling puppy! I hope that he gets through it without long-lasting consequences. He must feel a lot better now that you know what meds he needs for pain, etc. Hang in there, we have a lot of sympathy.

He almost felt too good today. Poor guy will bring his ball to us to play and start whining because we won't throw it for him.

When you first posted about this, I looked it up because I'd never heard of it. I'm so sorry you and your puppy have to go through this. :rolleyes:

It does sound like there is alot of hope for a good recovery though. I'll be praying for your little boy. Hang in there.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would give an update on my little boy! We took him in for a recheck 2 weeks ago and the vet couldn't believe how well he look considering how awful he was just 2 weeks before. He has been on an anti-inflamatory since he was diagnosed and we have hardly had any issues. He has limped once or twice in the past month but other than that he is acting the way a normal 6 month old border collie should. She said as long as he continues to do well it will be fine to have him neutered by the end of May. He will have one more set of x-rays in a few weeks to see how his growth plates are doing but we are just in aww of how well he has been. A month ago I didn't think he was going to make it through this! He barely has any deformities and in less you know what you are looking at you probably wouldn't notice. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers!

Archived