BC Boards

5 month old BC puppy

Okay..first off this is my first post - so hello everyone! I'm a 17 year old girl living in Texas and got my first Border Collie(and now will never be without one) on Dec. 23rd, 2009; a then - 7 week old red & white registered BC, courtesy of my managers where I work who breed registered Border Collies. I've never owned one before him, but did a lot of reading up on them and was still confident about owning one(we live on 10 acres very rurally and have 8 horses).

Anyway, I've known my little guy since he was a week old, and named him Tucker. I ADORE him, he's like my best friend..he's incredibly intelligent - ridiculously so - and I can't say enough wonderful things about him. His only problem currently is that when he sees somebody and goes to greet them, he is so beyond over-excited it's not even funny..he's in this whole other world, like he's got ADHD or something, you know? And he ends up peeing on himself! He's done this for a few months...it's slowly changed. At first it was that he'd pee while he was so excited, now sometimes he'll still do that, but usually he ends up peeing just as he starts calming down a little.

Has anyone else had any experience with this and will it go away? It drives me nuts! It's one thing when he's outside, it's another when I have to keep cleaning it up inside. Plus, he gets his belly hair really dirty really fast!

So yeah..any advice would be wonderful! :rolleyes:

I'd try to ask people to ignore him at first - even turn their backs to him (if need be) when he first approaches. If they make a fuss over him, it'll fuel his excitement, so that he can't help but pee all over himself. You'll find if they're able to ignore him for the first minute or two, and then say "oh, hello", in a more offhand manner, that his excitement level won't peak as high.

Good luck!

Welcome! It's no big deal, happens all the time. As he matures he will learn to control himself a lot better. You may want to have him sit, give him a treat for it and have the visitor he see's treat him as well. Seriously, it's better to have an exuberant social pup you have to clean up after than the alternative! Oh, and when he begins to learn to lift his leg...the front leg will be the target :rolleyes:

Sometimes they grow out of it and sometimes they don't. My 4.5 year old border collie will still pee when excited. They have to mop the floor at the vet's office when we leave because of all the excitement of a vet visit. Of course, he's not the one paying the bills, so not as exciting an experience for me! Anyway, I've resigned myself to the fact that he will likely never grow out of it, though he doesn't do it in nearly as many situations as he did when he was younger. Definitely, keeping greetings very low key will help a lot. The worse thing for my dog is to have someone greet him with squeals of excitement and lots of "happy talk." There will be a river.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of border collies.

Hi and Welcome!

I agree with the above posters. We have an 11 month old pup. He is high energy and was a bit of a maniac when friends came over. We had to enforce a no eye contact, no talking, no touching for about 2 minutes or so when they came in- they just had to ignore him until he sat or lay down. Once he offered a sit or a lay down he would get a treat and a greeting. Now at 11 months he still approaches the person as they enter but sits beside them and looks up. He does start a bit of whining once they pet him and has a bit of a hard time keeping his bum on the ground.... its a work in progress.

I really appreciate all the replies!! Here's to hoping he'll grow out of it, lol.

He's worse with one of my older sisters who lives with us, because she tends to do a lot of the high-pitched "puppy talk". I always have to remind her not to do that. I've never done it with him(or jumped around making a huge fuss over getting home or anything like that)..simply because he's always been high energy, and I don't need to feed MORE high energy to him. He's got the hyperness ALL taken care of, I have to supply the CALM energy.

I'll use the rule of no eye-contact/talking/petting until he's calmed down. Hopefully that will help some!

I just read an article about this in Dog Watch (just got a free sample...not subscribing) - basically, what they all said! There are two kinds of peeing like this: one is excitement, which it sounds like yours is doing, and the other is submissive That's mostly when they roll on their belly and pee (all over themselves of course!). Calmness is critical. The article also mentioned that one dog who had been doing it was trained to go find her stuffed duck when someone arrived - that activity kept her busy enough until things calmed down in general, and it solved her problem! Got any ducks?!

Welcome to the world of border collies too!

diane

As others have said, it is quite normal. I've had a couple of puppies who did excited peeing like that. With Quinn, I made a point of trying to get him to empty out before something I knew might excite him and having him meet people or dogs outside in addition to the pre-emptying out. The behavior faded with my dogs as they matured.

I'll use the rule of no eye-contact/talking/petting until he's calmed down. Hopefully that will help some!

I'm not sure I understand that rule. I got Jin over his excitement by talking quietly to him while doing TTouch on his face. I also enforce the gentleman rule when meeting new people. That is to sit quietly until given some sort of release command.

They have to mop the floor at the vet's office when we leave because of all the excitement of a vet visit. Of course, he's not the one paying the bills, so not as exciting an experience for me!

And presumably, even if it was, you would not be peeing on the floor anyway... :D:rolleyes:

Hey, I'm just sayin'.

:D

i dont know if this is a proper way to handle the situation, but with my Lynus i usually crate him when people come over until he calms down in his crate. usually 20 minutes or so in the crate after people arrive then when i let him out they still ignore him for about 5 minutes. the times that i have done this we have had no peeing or jumping on people, he just goes straight for his toys and drops them at my guests feet. Even though he is almost 11 months i really dont see him growing out of it any time soon or later. oh well i still love him to death! :rolleyes:)

And presumably, even if it was, you would not be peeing on the floor anyway... :D:rolleyes:

Hey, I'm just sayin'.

:D

No, I'm more apt to do submissive peeing in that situation. :D . . . Yes, Dr. ____, I will do (pay) anything, if you will make my dog better. :D

Crunchy pees when he gets excited too but he seems to be growing out of it now (he is 5 months). It seems like females have a harder time with it than males. My mom's bcx is 3 or 4 and she does it when she is scared. Mostly I think my kids really freak her out. She adopted her from the shelter and from what we gather she was probable beaten and/or had some pretty bad experiences with kids because she always belines when I come over with the kids.

• 1 month later...
Welcome! It's no big deal, happens all the time. As he matures he will learn to control himself a lot better. You may want to have him sit, give him a treat for it and have the visitor he see's treat him as well. Seriously, it's better to have an exuberant social pup you have to clean up after than the alternative! Oh, and when he begins to learn to lift his leg...the front leg will be the target :rolleyes:

This is correct.

His sphincter muscle is not likely to be fully developed yet, hence his lack of control. One piece of advice I have been given as a sometime rescuer: don't spay or neuter until this is under control One of my own dogs still piddles at the vets and probably always will, but she was spayed as a pup when she was doing it a lot. Now going to the vet is the only thing that triggers it. Fortunately, our vet doesn't mind. She once piddled in his hand, and he said not to worry, it is a warm, fuzzy feeling!

Most dogs do get over it as they mature.

Kathy Robbins

Archived