BC Boards
Liz P

mini Border Collies

I have seen an occasional 'small', they can happen...and I agree they are pretty cute. They shouldn't be bred, though. What a doofus she is.

I met a miniature Border Collie yesterday coincidentally. The first I have ever seen. It was about 2 years old and smaller than Rikku was at 6 months - definitely less than 25 lbs. I have to admit that she was a really cute gal. I wish I would have had my camera with me because I was quite shocked at first.

I have seen a really little one too, a few years ago, she was about 15" tops, and full grown. she wasnt a "micro" anything..she was just a small smooth BC that had come from a working farm.

and then there's Turtle lol last week I met a BC X Shih Tzu X Bichon..I wished I had my camera because I swear this dog was about 7" tall...but otherwise looked exactly like a BC! she was the coolest little dog ever lol

That site is so extreme...wow.

One of my neighbors has a mini border collie. She is under 20lbs....pretty small. I don't know them, but Shiloh plays with her at the park sometimes. He told us that she was from the last "mini" litter as all of the pups and dogs were not coming out well and had various health problems. She is a cute dog- a bit zany-but I felt so badly that these litters were experiments and the dogs ended up with health problems. I guess the only good part is that particular breeder stopped.

oh gawd, she's still at it? I don't even have to look, I know what I'll see. Oh the stories I could tell about this woman. Sigh.

I loved the line "All pups should be able to work cattle". Seriously? Well obviously these are purpose bred dogs. You hide them in your pocket while you check on the cows and their calves. If a new momma cow gets hostile, you unleash your pocket cattle pup and let her have at it. :D:rolleyes::D:D

I'm off to eat some crackers and lay down in the dark until the nausea passes.

Love it! :D:D:D

Went back today for a closer look at the website. There was a five-minute video (text screens only) on the evils of the ABCA. But the thing that I found fascinating was how much a number of her dogs look like Shetland Sheepdogs. Not just the sables.

Also the "about the breed" page is basically just a list of colors Border Collies (hers) come in. I did get a kick out of one of the photos of a dog that was allegedly working stock. I can't remember if it was cattle or sheep - cattle, I think - and the dog was making a play-bow to some very perplexed-looking stock.

No one is less interested in the government sticking its nose in dog "business." But can't something be done about breeders like this? It's depressing...

And the web site itself... post-10533-1269312533_thumb.jpg

People eyes' gleam when see Koko (who I sold) or Rainey (we still have) as they are tiny. Close to 25 or less and small. I have had quite a few people ask for pups to meet a certain height requirement (small for agility) or ask if they are mini Border Collies.

Sigh, I always tell them I am breeding to a male that weighs over 55 lbs and is huge and big boned and then their gleam in their eyes suddenly fades...I guess I like to help the gleam in their eyes fade....;-)

Hello Everyone,

Well, curiosity got the better of me, and I checked out the Cherokee Rose website. Imagine my surprise when I found a photo that I had taken on that website! The photo is of an imported dog that lived here in Maryland a couple of years ago, and he apparently now resides there. I will gladly forego a photo credit to ensure that I have no connection with this breeder.

Regards,

nancy

I found it and I'm disgusted. A couple I know has a mini-aussie the same age as Jin. She's so tiny, a bit much for me. But VCs that small. No way.

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the suggestion, and I do appreciate your thoughts. However, there are so many photos on that website that I'm sure are being used without permission, that I feel her use of a photo of mine is rather inconsequential. Also, I do not wish to have any dealings with her whatsoever.

Regards,

nancy

I like the websites I run across where the people have dogs from MAH, either directly or indirectly, but they put a disclaimer across their front page or whatever that says that they do not endorse MAH or have any affiliation with her. No ... they just own, train, trial and breed dogs from her lines. And then they get pissed when you ask them why they would breed dogs out of that kennel when the papers on those dogs aren't worth the paper they're written on.

So you've seen that, too, Jodi? I know just what you are saying.

I know just what someone meant when they said something along the lines of needing Dramamine to view that website. How any self-respecting person would consider buying from a site like that is beyond me. And her Hallowe'en season "ABCA Coven of Witches" display is quite - well, quite something...

Well ya know what they say about about dazzling people with b*llSh*t, this website has it down to an art, You cant read it the info thrown out there amidst all the crap I have no idea what penquins (other than being black and white) have to do with border collies, and all the "awards" are laughable if it weren't so sad

Okay, you guys made me google it. Found it. That is so tasteless it hurts...

Why do those types go after BC´s? Bored with putting pink dresses on their unfortunate pomerans or chi´s?