BC Boards

Appropriate Appreciation from a Stranger

So, I took Buddy for a long walk this morning and then subjected him to the annoyance of yard-saling. (What a day! Great antiques all over the place!) One seller asked me what kind of dog I had, and I told him a BC. He told me how he'd always wanted a BC, and how they were his favorite dogs. After we chatted a bit, he asked me to bring Buddy out to meet him, so I did.

"What a beautiful dog! He's got such a great stance! He's just gorgeous. Oh, he's just a great dog! Look at how calm he is. He's so beautiful!" (I know... right?)

The guy must have gushed over Buddy and given him love for ten or twelve minutes.

FINALLY, someone who shows the appropriate level of respect for my dog. :rolleyes:

Mary

This never happens to me...LOL.

Mick is always standoffish and growling, until he actually meets somebody and then he's a total mush. Except for when I had a contractor in the house, who was totally lying and being a sleezeball. I had to keep him crated the whole time, and Mick was attacking the crate trying to get to him. The funny thing is, the other people I had in giving estimates, he was fine with. I think Mick just sensed this guy was a sleeze.

Everybody always acts scared of the pit, even though she's the sweet one. I have had comments about them being an odd combo a few times when walking them (I walk them on a coupler). Unfortunately, I did have somebody once compliment me on her looks, then ask me if she was a fighter. I was really taken aback and informed them that she was only a pet.

Y'know... I DO think the guy was single. It didn't occur to me until afterwards that maybe I could marry him to be sure of an appropriate placement for Buddy in the event of my untimely demise. :rolleyes:

NJNovice... this never happens to me, either - which is why it charmed me so much. Buddy is usually trying to snap at "friendly" dogs, so I'm having to tell people to back off. It's rare to meet a dog-lover without a dog who can take the time to appreciate Buddy's... er... distinctive qualities.

Mary

Lewie is a social butterfly. When I take him out and about he really knows how to work a crowd. He'll wave that lovely fluffy tail high over his back and schmooze up to people.

It's like he's saying, "Hey there folks, I'm here! I'm fluffy and charming. I know it, you know it, so let's commence with the petting and compliments".

He's such a show-off. :rolleyes: I just step back and watch him strutt his stuff and answer any questions that come up. Most common is, "what kind is he?"

Took Scooter for a walk Friday. He pulled me along most of the way till we rounded the bend to come home. A woman was jogging towards us. I put him in a down/stay, which he immediately did (amazing since he'd been such a piss ant earlier!) I do this for the joggers benefit; I can often see them tense up at seeing a dog ahead. As she ran by she smiled and said, "Wow! He's really good!" Yeah, sometimes! LOL! :rolleyes:

and then you get the folks that go too far....

I have a security guard at my building that loves Shiloh. One day after he had a bath we walked by the front desk, the guard came out and was complimenting Shiloh on how clean he was. I responded that Shiloh had a bath, he responded... "oh, I would love to have a bath with you little Shiloh"

:rolleyes: Ha!

and then he kneeled down for a full face licking (basically he french kissed Shiloh)... Shiloh loved it- but I was a bit grossed out!!!

Archived