BC Boards

Question about jump height card in USDAA

I had Charlie measured over a year and a half ago and received my blue jump height card. He only needed to be measured once because he is over 24 inches tall. I have never mailed in my blue card to get a permanent card, partly because I forget and partly because I'm always afraid that I won't get the permanent card back in time for an upcoming trial (someone once told me that it takes a while sometimes to get your permanent card). So, I just show my blue card at the trials every time. But, at the last trial, I was trying to check in and was showing the woman my blue card and she made some comment to the effect that I didn't need to show a card because I jump 26 inches. Is that true? If so, why would I ever need to get a permanent card, and did I even need to get Charlie measured if I already knew that he would be jumping 26 inches? Just curious.

You should get a permanent card if for nothing else eventually the blue card is going to fall apart, and if you loose your blue card you'll need to get the measurments again. My first border collie Ashe also jumped 26 he was 21 inches we had our permanent card that way I didnt have worry if it accidently got washed :rolleyes:)

• 3 weeks later...

If your dog is definitely over 21", you can send in the blue card now (you do not need ANY measurements, actually) and get a yellow permanent card which will place him in the 26" jump height.

Some trials (at least around here) allow "express check-in." That means that you can send in a copy of your dog's YELLOW card with your entry, and as long as you double-check the registration number on your confirmation, you don't HAVE to show up during check-in time in the morning. So if you're not in the first class, you get to sleep in a little :rolleyes:

If you are worried about the time it takes to get your permanent card, you can request an interim letter from USDAA that you can use to check-in while you are waiting for your card to arrive. They will send it out to you right away.

I also believe that if you "subscribe" to the USDAA subscriber/competitor service (which you'll want to do, after competitions, to check your dog's records), you can print out the registration from that, once the office receives your blue card - they update that rather quickly, long before you receive the permanent height card, and you can uses that printout for check-in.

diane

Archived