BC Boards

CaSea4Me

Can someone recommend a place (near Orange County, CA) to take our 9 mos. old pups to see how they might do in herding. Stevie "B" the boy for sure has the eye. Bella Mia the girl loves to herd our cats :rolleyes:

I don't know of anyone actually in Orange County, but depending on how far you want to drive, there are a couple in So Cal. First is Terri Parrish, near Escondido. Her website is:

http://www.actionk9sports.com/sheep_herding_lessons.php5

I also found a listing for someone named Anna Guthrie, near Valley Center, but I don't know anything about her. Her website is here:

http://www.stockdogranch.com/

Good luck!

Cheers ~

Gloria

Anna is an active member of this forum under the name Stockdogranch. She is a well-known USBCHA cattle trialer and sets sheep for some of the larger sheep trials out west. I know she has started a couple of other members of this forum (and their dogs) on sheep and offers lessons and has also written a book Working with a Stockdog, so she certainly would be an excellent resource for training.

Here's her bio from Outrun Press:

Anna Guthrie has devoted the past 15 years of her life to raising and training working border collies. Her focus is on training dogs for practical, everyday work. She travels throughout the west competing with her dogs at cattle trials, and is a regular competitor at the annual USBCHA National Cattle Finals. To help support her dog and livestock habit, she teaches academic writing to college freshmen at one of the California State University campuses.

J.

Thanks for the good words, Julie :rolleyes:

A

Gloria--no problem! :rolleyes:

Narita--Outrun Press, Border Collies in Action, or Amazon,

A

The place in Long Beach is a "strictly AKC" place. If you are truly interested in learning anything about working a stockdog, as well as having your dogs learn anything , you really want to stay away from such places,

A

ETA: But if you want to go down that road, I can get you the website

I keep hearing about a place in Long Beach but no one knows exactly where?

I understand your questioning on this location since you live in Costa Mesa... I can offer a word of advice, making the drive to Anna is well worth it to get an honest opinion and quality first lesson. I started with the person in Long Beach and that is my biggest regret.

I have been working with Anna for the last 2 and a half years (has it really only been that long???). You will benefit from going to see her.

Good luck from a fellow Orange Countian.

Anna Guthrie and/or Candy Kennedy are excellent choices. I used to live in Southern California and went to quite a few trainers down there. If you do end up going to one of the all-breed trainers, or the AKCers, do yourself a favor and keep Anna and Candy's information some place where you can easily find it. You'll need it eventually.

Anna Guthrie and/or Candy Kennedy are excellent choices. I used to live in Southern California and went to quite a few trainers down there. If you do end up going to one of the all-breed trainers, or the AKCers, do yourself a favor and keep Anna and Candy's information some place where you can easily find it. You'll need it eventually.

Well said, Jodi! :rolleyes:

My Cal spent her puppyhood with Anna (from 8 wks. to 6 mos.). Best thing that could've happened for her and me. And check out her book -- besides being a great introduction to stockwork, the diagrams rock (*LOL*).

Archived