BC Boards

Dog Insurance

GordonandClyde

With moving over to Canada soon I was wanting to know if you have to have insurance for your dogs, and roughly what cost are you for insurance.

The costs here are getting higher and also in England they are bringing in a compulsary insurance for pet owners. It is due to dangerous dog act.

It's not compulsary in Scotland, but I have always had insurance for my dogs to cover vet bills if they get injuries or illness due to the high costs of vet bills here.

What prices do you all pay? Mine at the moment is about £20.00 per month.

Insurance isn't required, but I'd recommend it for vet bills. I pay about $40/mo per dog. There are varying deductibles with the company I use (vetinsurance) that can tailor your premiums to what you prefer to pay.

After getting a quote of $800 to pull a tooth, I'm glad I have insurance!

I am in the US and do not have dog insurance. I do have a dog account that I put funds into so that I can draw the funds when needed. I found that some of the insurance companies have pre-existing condition clauses or won't cover certain things for certain breeds so just find it easier to have a separate account for the dogs.

As I understand it, the pet insurance they want to require in England is more like our car insurance. It's to pay for the damage your dog does to someone or something else. Not to cover care for your dog.

Archived