BC Boards

Raw turkey pieces

I boned out a home-raised turkey quarter (breast & wing) tonight for a curry. I have 1) all the bones from breast and wing, 2) the wing tip 3) a lot of skin leftover. I know it's safe to feed the skin and meat chunks, but what about the bones? Both dogs have eaten turkey necks & backs before. Nick (6 yrs) crunches up lamb ribs & necks, but I've never given Hoot (6 months) anything that sturdy. They've both been eating a lot of kibble lately because my freezer is close to empty & I haven't gotten around to doing in the excess roosters running around. In any case, can healthy, accustomed-to-eating-bones dogs crunch up turkey bones? Free-range, pastured, organic, turkey- it wasn't a huge bird- 12 Lbs or so.

Both dogs gnaw on big beef bones sometimes, too, for recreation (once they eat the meat off).

Thanks!

I'd say any bone is fine (uncooked) as long as it's not too small to cause damage if swallowed whole. Large dog + small wing bone could be a (small) choking risk. I feed both my BCs half chickens with no issues.

You may want to watch how they break the leg bones apart. My guys have no problem with any of the bones except the legs, they break in very sharp pieces IMO. I think Turkey leg bones are fairly dense since it is a relatively heavy bird that doesn't fly. 12 pounds though won't make them very dense so you may be ok. I would just watch how they get broken down. :rolleyes:

Thanks, everyone. The boys will be happy to have turkey for dinner tonight :rolleyes:

The organs have all long since been consumed- we butchered turkeys in November- and no legs this time, so no worries there. The dogs wish turkeys had more than two feet, though. They LOVE turkey (and chicken) feet, even though I think they're gross.

Should be fine, as long as you aren't feeding just stripped bones. Bare or stripped bones can cause constipation or impacted bowels, and also don't have the excess padding meat, skin or organs provide, so sharp points are more dangerous. Usually if I have bare bones, I will wrap them in meat scraps, and feed frozen.

Where does one get turkey feet? I'd like to give them to my two...

Tim

I get them off the turkeys I raise, but I've seen packs of chicken feet at the big Asian market in the city. You could also ask at the local butcher shop, if you have one around (they're a dieing breed).

Or, you know, raise a few turkeys in the backyard :rolleyes: They're easy, and delicious!

Archived