BC Boards

Poor Nell :(

Poor Nell is having a lower canine tooth extracted today.

Friday she was out running across one of our fields while the pack was on an outing, Renee saw her fall, roll onto her side and start screaming. We think she lost her footing and fell on her chin on one of the many rock out croppings around our farm. When Renee finally got her calm enough to look, she discovered Nell had broken off one of her lower canines at the gum line (even found tooth shards in her mouth).

A quick trip to our local Vet on Saturday (Vet doesn't do surgeries on the weekend) for a look see and they scheduled surgery for today.

Mark

OOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday she was out running across one of our fields while the pack was on an outing, Renee saw her fall, roll onto her side and start screaming. We think she lost her footing and fell on her chin on one of the many rock out croppings around our farm. When Renee finally got her calm enough to look, she discovered Nell had broken off one of her lower canines at the gum line (even found tooth shards in her mouth).

A quick trip to our local Vet on Saturday (Vet doesn't do surgeries on the weekend) for a look see and they scheduled surgery for today.

Mark

Yowch! I sure hope she's feeling better quickly, poor thing.

I hope you don't mind a few curious questions? ... Did the vet medicate the broken base, or put some kind of painkiller (dog Orajel?) on it? Are local painkillers safe to put in a dog's mouth? Do you know if this kind of accident is common or very unusual? (I've never heard of it before, but then there are plenty of things I've never heard of.) Is Nell older or a young dog? Were her teeth more fragile than usual? Thanks.

Yowch! I sure hope she's feeling better quickly, poor thing.

I hope you don't mind a few curious questions? ... Did the vet medicate the broken base, or put some kind of painkiller (dog Orajel?) on it? Are local painkillers safe to put in a dog's mouth? Do you know if this kind of accident is common or very unusual? (I've never heard of it before, but then there are plenty of things I've never heard of.) Is Nell older or a young dog? Were her teeth more fragile than usual? Thanks.

Nell is 3 years old and she has no known health issues which could hve weakened her teeth.

The Vet suggested deramaxx for pain as needed; Nell is not acting as if she needs pain meds.

The prescribed an antibiotic (I don't know the name of it off the top of my head).

We've had other dogs break teeth chewing and one had a tooth get chipped by banging heads wth another dog during play.

We've had other dogs break teeth chewing and one had a tooth get chipped by banging heads wth another dog during play.

Yeh, but this is to the gum line. Ouch. No talk of removing the rest of the tooth below the gumline? Yeesh. Give me the creeps just thinking about it. Poor Nell.

Mark

Ouch! She should feel much much better today.

Years ago when I showed my dogs in obedience, I remember a big dobie boy who had an accident which necessitated surgery for have one of the canines removed. They did remove it, but with a vet and a dentist working together, they replaced that canine with a gold tooth. Everytime that dobe would smile, you'd see the bling in his mouth. LOL.

Ouch! Poor Nell! Bear had a similar slip/fall on a rock, and it caused the top half of the lower left canine to snap off. IIRC, he had a root canal and he was good as new. Hope Nell's surgery went well!

Lou had to outdo you, Nell. He had his upper canine kicked clear out of his head at a cattle dog clinic. I saw the kick, I saw him recoil (and then get right back in there, what a good boy), then he spat out this (white part being the tooth, dark part being the root):

tooth.jpg

Luckily, my vet happened to be down the road visiting friends (it was a Sunday) and he told me to put the tooth in milk and meet him at his clinic. He put the tooth back in, put in a couple of stitches, and then put a temporary tape muzzle on Lou. The next day, we went to a dental surgeon and there was quite a procedure to reset the tooth. It involved dental adhesive - a LOT of dental adhesive - and wire in a 2 hour operation. A couple months later, the dental adhesive and wire were removed, he had another root canal, and you would never know that that tooth had come out. He can chew bones with the best of them!

Ouch! Poor Nell! Bear had a similar slip/fall on a rock, and it caused the top half of the lower left canine to snap off. IIRC, he had a root canal and he was good as new. Hope Nell's surgery went well!

Lou had to outdo you, Nell. He had his upper canine kicked clear out of his head at a cattle dog clinic. I saw the kick, I saw him recoil (and then get right back in there, what a good boy), then he spat out this (white part being the tooth, dark part being the root):

tooth.jpg

Luckily, my vet happened to be down the road visiting friends (it was a Sunday) and he told me to put the tooth in milk and meet him at his clinic. He put the tooth back in, put in a couple of stitches, and then put a temporary tape muzzle on Lou. The next day, we went to a dental surgeon and there was quite a procedure to reset the tooth. It involved dental adhesive - a LOT of dental adhesive - and wire in a 2 hour operation. A couple months later, the dental adhesive and wire were removed, he had another root canal, and you would never know that that tooth had come out. He can chew bones with the best of them!

Poor Nell! Recover quickly!

And poor Lou! It probably happened so quickly that he never felt it. BTW, what kicked him? I'm assuming a cow?

Tim

It probably happened so quickly that he never felt it. BTW, what kicked him? I'm assuming a cow?

Yes, a cow. And yeah, I think he felt it. When something kicks the largest tooth clear out of your mouth, I think you feel it. Plus it fractured his jaw. That was our first and last time working cattle. :rolleyes:

Yes, a cow. And yeah, I think he felt it. When something kicks the largest tooth clear out of your mouth, I think you feel it. Plus it fractured his jaw. That was our first and last time working cattle. :rolleyes:

I don't blame you there! I had teeth knocked loose in a Basketball game in HS and never felt it.

Poor guy. Glad he's ok!

Tim

Poor Nell! That's a bummer of a tooth to lose, too, as a dog's mandible is relatively delicate and the lower canine forms a lot of the structural support of that "corner" of the jaw. I am curious what they have planned. Will they extract it and then pack the hole with some sort of bone replacement?

Nell came home yesterday and seems to be doing well. The lower canine was extracted and while the vet was in there he discovered that an adjacent incisor was "no longer connected" (his words) and he pulled it.

He made no mention of "packing" the holes with anything nor any concern about instability of the lower jaw due to loss of the canine tooth. This vet (and most of the vets at this clinic) has been very open with us and willing to listen to and work with us (they know and are comfortable with doing our own vaccination and worming, including heart worm). They even worked with the ABCA Health & Genetics Committee on the Cornell hip dysplasia study. I trust these vets and at $40.00 for the extractions I can't complain about their prices.

Mark

Glad to hear that Nell is okay.

And this is why I am too much of a weenie to work my dogs on cattle. According to two different vets, it is likely Craig was kicked by a horse or cow (what do you call an individual when you're not sure of gender?) when he was younger, resulting in some minor brain damage. If I had cattle and needed a dog, we'd learn how to work them, but since I have no livestock of my own anyway, I am too skeered to risk it...

They would have had to extract the rest of the tooth...leaving bits in there wouldn't be very good. If she hit it hard enough to break it off, there could have been small fractues down the entire length of it.

Honestly, I find extracting a lower canine tooth WAY harder than an upper and I generally pawn off that task to the vet who isn't afraid to do it. I actually enjoy extracting an upper one most of the time.

We had a dog come in once kicked by a horse and was missing its upper canine tooth. We looked at it and it appeared the entire tooth, root and all had been kicked out. A week or so later, the dog started having nasal discharge. We did rads and the canine tooth was up in the sinuses laying on its side - it had gotten pushed right up in there! The vet had a heck of a time drilling bone apart and using the endoscope to try and get it out. Eventually he did but it was not an easy task.

Archived